A question for hot sauce lovers

Options
I'm the kind of person who believes every meal can can be improved my hot sauce. I have tried many different kinds of hot sauce, been to stores that specifically sell hot sauce and am growing my own hot peppers.
Here is the problem: Most hot sauces are hot peppers and a TON of salt. I have high blood pressure and am trying to keep my sodium levels low. Does anyone know of hot sauces that are low in sodium or sodium free? The only one I have found so far is Ca John's Vicious Viper sauce. Only problem with that one is that it is 2 million scovile (for those not familiar with the scoville scale, the average jalapeno is about 8,000 scoville). So, hopefully someone out here knows about a hot sauce that is low sodium and doesn't leave my mouth burning for hours.

Replies

• Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a sauce that fit's the bill, but you could make one with the peppers you're growing. I usually just dry and grind my hot peppers for later use. I think you'd just add vinegar (and other seasonings) and viola!
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    I also LOVE hot sauce but am avoiding excess sodium. There is a website, firegirl.com, that actually has good sauces that are lower sodium. Hope this helps :)
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I absolutly LOVE hot sauce & I eat it on almost everything. Texas Pete's Hotter sauce is what I use. It only has like 105 mg of sodium per teaspoon. Of all the hot sauces I've used, that has the lowest amount of salt. It's super hot, a tsp is all I ever use & sometimes I only use 1/2 a tsp.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You could try blending hot peppers with a little greek yogurt. : )
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I will ask my step son. he has quit the collection. We love Blair's Death Sauce but i have no idea about the sodium.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I don't know the sodium content on any of these, but I think the hot sauces from W.O. Hesperus (eatmeimhot.com) are astonishingly good, and there's lots of variety.

My beloved Tuong Ot Sriracha (the sriracha chili sauce by Huy Fong Foods with the rooster on the bottle and the green cap) lists 1 tsp as having 5 calories and 100mg sodium. There's 1 carb. This really adds a lot of variety to, well, everything.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you're making your own can you try using sea salt and then decrease the amount of salt in the recipe? Don't know if that would make a difference, but that's the first thing that came to mind.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
    And Larius, trust me, I will be making my own hot sauce once my peppers are ready. :) It is what I bought them for, actually.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would think that if you are making your own, you will be able to control how much sodium is actually in it.
  • JALangston
    JALangston Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way... think cayanne in swedish meatballs, fettucini alfredo or tater tot hotdish (can you tell he's from WI?? LOL)

But that leads me to my point... Why not just use powdered cayanne pepper?

Or, make your own...http://www.hotsaucerecipe.net/ says most hot sauce is peppers, vinegar, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, looked up a coupla recipes quick and they seem really easy... the salt in commercial stuff is probably used as a preservative cuz most hot sauces don't get refrigerated.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    that's a good question. I'm also a hot sauce lover. I used to have high blood pressure but I never gave up my hot sauce. Just couldn't do it. I think even if you made your own the salt would still be there for it to be good. When I started working out more my blood pressure went down and I'm off of my pills. I watch the salt intake with other foods and use NoSalt on my foods but still get my hot sauce in.
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cholulo is 85mg/Tbs not to hot either. I love spicy stuff too.
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We make our own, but it's not vinegary at all. We just soak the dried red chili pods until they are soft, throw them in a blender with a little water, about a T. of chopped garlic and about a teaspoon of salt, blend, then strain to get rid of the extra bits and seeds, and you end up with about 3 cups of chili sauce. Hubby is from NM and we get about 40 pounds of fresh green chili and a big box of dried red chili every year.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Although I enjoy hotter sauces, good old fashioned Tobasco Original only have 35mg/tsp. That is better than the other sauces I have. I intend to make my own this year with the peppers we have in our garden.
  • smella11
    smella11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Tabasco has only 35 calories per teaspoon which is the lowest of the hot sauce.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I use Cholula original, although I wish it was spicier - 85mg per serving.
  • smella11
    smella11 Posts: 2
    Options
    A teaspoon of salt in your receipe adds over 4000 mg of sodium to the 3 cups, that is quite a bit of sodium for people watching their sodium level.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Take vinegar and soak a bunch of hot peppers in it. Then just pour it on when you need it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition