Need advice on protein shakes!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The one i use is protein from plants so no dairy its basically pea quinoa amaranth chia raw sprouted protein if it might help. Not cheap though.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    dtlp wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys I'll check them out!

Haha I never really had interest in them, but a friend looked at my macros and told me I need to start using them asap.

There's 30g+ protein in a cup of peanuts.

There's also 73 grams of fat and 850+ calories, which is great if you're on a 5,000 calorie a day diet with a 15c/70f/15p macro split.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Haha I never really had interest in them, but a friend looked at my macros and told me I need to start using them asap.

There's also 73 grams of fat and 850+ calories, which is great if you're on a 5,000 calorie a day diet with a 15c/70f/15p macro split.

I'm aware of this. I was simply suggesting higher protein foods, which I mentioned plenty of options lower in other macros. I gave peanuts as an example. You can also get 20g+ in a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and getting close to no protein in my diet and it's really effecting my body. I want to try protein shakes but I want something that's as natural as possible and doesn't cost too much. What are the best brands to go for? And is there anything else I need to know about them?

+1
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

I'm aware of this. I was simply suggesting higher protein foods, which I mentioned plenty of options lower in other macros. I gave peanuts as an example. You can also get 20g+ in a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt.

16% of the calories in peanuts are from protein. I wouldn't consider it a "protein-rich" food.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options

16% of the calories in peanuts are from protein. I wouldn't consider it a "protein-rich" food.

For a vegetarian who stays away from dairy as much as possible, like the OP, yes they are.

Any other needless things you want to nitpick about peanuts?
  • dtlp
    dtlp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps everyone for all this advice, I'm going to have to go through all of them and decide which one will suit me best. I'll also take into account some of the higher protein foods you guys have mentioned because I can probably add small amounts of them into my daily intake. Thanks again! :)
  • brala90
    brala90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating wholesome sources of protein. If and only if you cant hit your macros then get protein powder.
    Sunwarrior protein is an excellent source of plant derived protein.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I use growing naturals plain unflavored rice protein. I add almond milk, fruit, and whatever sweetener i want. I love it and it doesnt cause bloating for me like whey does.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and getting close to no protein in my diet and it's really effecting my body. I want to try protein shakes but I want something that's as natural as possible and doesn't cost too much. What are the best brands to go for? And is there anything else I need to know about them?

I use Iso-Dymatize for my post workout shake! It tastes really good and has 25G protein and 1G carb per serving.
  • dtlp
    dtlp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    brala90 wrote: »
    Focus on eating wholesome sources of protein. If and only if you cant hit your macros then get protein powder.
    Sunwarrior protein is an excellent source of plant derived protein.

The sunwarrior protein is probably the best I've looked at so far but it's so expensive :(