What actually works?!

Options

Replies

• rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    everything that's been said already is pretty good advice. I want to emphasize weight training...it it by far the best way to shed fat! Leave your ego at the door and don't be afraid to look stupid if you're a beginner. (unless you don't have shame then that's even better!) PLEASE DO COMPOUND LIFTS! PLEASE!

PS. Low intensity cardio (bike or treadmill or jog for 30 or more minutes) is a great way to waste your time if you're looking to shed fat.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    WA_mama2 wrote: »
    What actually works when trying to lose weight and keep it off?! Very Low calorie isn't safe, no carb isn't good for long term, low fat isn't ideal for muscle gain to burn fat. I want to lose weight and keep it off and not go back to being heavy EVER again. I try and I just have a slow metabolism and gain weight so so quickly. I'm sick of always being worried about my weight

Low calorie typically leads to 100%+ regains.

Since you have a slow metabolism

Uh, no.

Failure to continue moderation in consumption leads to regains, not low cal.

Unless she has a diagnosed medical problem 'slow metabolism " is an assumption that is not wise to live by.

I was speaking in a medical sense. Reduced calories 100% of the time slows one's metabolism setting one up for 100% regains. I wrecked my health over 40 year period of yo yo weights.

In a medical sense, that makes no sense. The ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off is to reduce calories and then keep them at the proper level to maintain the loss. How one lowers their calories is a matter of preference, whether its reducing carbs, fats, staying out of the drive-thru, or whatever. Severely restricting calories to unsafe levels for a prolonged period of time is what damages metabolism.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    everything that's been said already is pretty good advice. I want to emphasize weight training...it it by far the best way to shed fat! Leave your ego at the door and don't be afraid to look stupid if you're a beginner. (unless you don't have shame then that's even better!) PLEASE DO COMPOUND LIFTS! PLEASE!

PS. Low intensity cardio (bike or treadmill or jog for 30 or more minutes) is a great way to waste your time if you're looking to shed fat.

That time wasting your talking about got me to 15% body fat, because it created that small 100-200 cal defecit I needed to melt the fat off me.

I could have created that deficit by more calorie restricting, but I like exercising, and it keeps me out of the kitchen, it also sometimes meant a glass of red wine or two to keep me sane.

Of course, underneath were glorious muscles gained by bulking and compound lifting.
  • rickyll
    Options

That time wasting your talking about got me to 15% body fat, because it created that small 100-200 cal defecit I needed to melt the fat off me.

I could have created that deficit by more calorie restricting, but I like exercising, and it keeps me out of the kitchen, it also sometimes meant a glass of red wine or two to keep me sane.

Of course, underneath were glorious muscles gained by bulking and compound lifting.

You're right. My apologies for making an overly general comment. Low intensity cardio is another tool in your tool box of fat shedding but too many people see it as the only tool...
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit and whatever exercise you can do.
    BINGO!
    And it's free of charge... :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Weight training burns very few calories so it's not the best way to create a calorie deficit. Over time, additional muscle mass will help someone by increasing the calories their body burns. The best way to create a calorie deficit is with diet. One can also use steady state cardio because it's a fantastic calorie burner. I both lift and run for these reasons.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

No offense, but I find this really ignorant. Exercise is always good. It is not a waste of time.

• rickyll
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

No offense, but I find this really ignorant. Exercise is always good. It is not a waste of time.

No offense taken. Obviously any form of exercise is good but why opt for the least effective method when you know there's a better method out there? Next time I'll try getting my point across with a little more tact!
  • vivmom2014
    Options

No offense taken. Obviously any form of exercise is good but why opt for the least effective method when you know there's a better method out there? Next time I'll try getting my point across with a little more tact!

Then stop using words like "better" - it's a qualifier that implies someone who cannot or does not desire to lift weights is somehow inferior.

• rickyll
    Options

Weight training burns very few calories so it's not the best way to create a calorie deficit. Over time, additional muscle mass will help someone by increasing the calories their body burns. The best way to create a calorie deficit is with diet. One can also use steady state cardio because it's a fantastic calorie burner. I both lift and run for these reasons.

I don't disagree with your statements but I need to clarify what I meant by weight training.

I agree with your claims if you look at weight training as going to the gym and doing low intensity weight training. To clarify, by weight training I mean intense weight training with mandatory compound lifts that incorporate major muscles and pump your body full of testosterone to promote muscle growth and fat burning. By weight training I mean that you're sweating at the end, like you would after intense cardio. This type of weight training burns calories even after you're done training. It's like doing cardio WITH weight training.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Moderate, sensible, not-overly-aggressive calorie deficit.

Accurate weighing of food & logging.

Not giving up.

Not rushing.

This. Focus on learning correct portion sizes, accurate tracking and then pace yourself :)
  • rickyll
    Options

Then stop using words like "better" - it's a qualifier that implies someone who cannot or does not desire to lift weights is somehow inferior.

But it IS better... If you're not ABLE to do weight training then that's just the hand you've been dealt in life and you do your best with it (though I see a guy at my gym that comes in a trains and he's missing a leg...so it's gotta be a good excuse).

But if you don't DESIRE to do weight training then you just gotta be able to accept the fact that you're not doing the most you can do to reach your goals.

• sunnybeaches105
    Options

I don't disagree with your statements but I need to clarify what I meant by weight training.

I agree with your claims if you look at weight training as going to the gym and doing low intensity weight training. To clarify, by weight training I mean intense weight training with mandatory compound lifts that incorporate major muscles and pump your body full of testosterone to promote muscle growth and fat burning. By weight training I mean that you're sweating at the end, like you would after intense cardio. This type of weight training burns calories even after you're done training. It's like doing cardio WITH weight training.

Yea. weight training. Not circuit training or with machines. It doesn't burn that many calories. When you go under the bar and squat for 1 rep max or even a 3-5 rep PR, you're there for 1 minute at the high end. How many calories do you think that really burns? When I go out and do 400 pound farmers' carries, that probably burns a few more calories, but even then I burn more when I run.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Moderate, sensible, not-overly-aggressive calorie deficit.

Accurate weighing of food & logging.

Not giving up.

Not rushing.

This.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

But it IS better... If you're not ABLE to do weight training then that's just the hand you've been dealt in life and you do your best with it (though I see a guy at my gym that comes in a trains and he's missing a leg...so it's gotta be a good excuse).

But if you don't DESIRE to do weight training then you just gotta be able to accept the fact that you're not doing the most you can do to reach your goals.

Here - I love T Nation even though they occasionally get a bit overboard on the bro *kitten*, but even they have some articles on this:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-hiit-followed-by-steady-state-cardio

As for weight lifting being the be-all-end-all, here:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/all-muscle-no-iron

The reality is there are many paths to fitness, even the lean and muscular look. Yea, if you want a true bodybuilder's physique, then you must lift weights, but gymnasts have some pretty damned strong bodies.
  • vivmom2014
    Options

What do you know about my goals? And what's this: "it's gotta be a good excuse"? According to whom, you?

Look - I've got nothing against weight lifting. But stop with all the judging. As someone else has stated, there are many paths to fitness. If someone is healthy & content with how they look and feel, who are you to say that they could be doing something "better"?

• rickyll
    Options

Here - I love T Nation even though they occasionally get a bit overboard on the bro *kitten*, but even they have some articles on this:

The reality is there are many paths to fitness, even the lean and muscular look. Yea, if you want a true bodybuilder's physique, then you must lift weights, but gymnasts have some pretty damned strong bodies.

Yeah gymnasts have great bodies cuz they do weight-lifting (i.e. they lift themselves) But ok, I really need to step back and check myself before posting things! Maybe I should say resistance training instead of weight training and that yes, there are many different avenues to achieving your fitness goals. Anyway, sunnybeaches, thank you for giving me a big "check yourself before you wreck yourself" slap in the face!
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Yeah gymnasts have great bodies cuz they do weight-lifting (i.e. they lift themselves) But ok, I really need to step back and check myself before posting things! Maybe I should say resistance training instead of weight training and that yes, there are many different avenues to achieving your fitness goals. Anyway, sunnybeaches, thank you for giving me a big "check yourself before you wreck yourself" slap in the face!

cheers
  • amandatcv23
    amandatcv23 Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    "Low" calorie may lead to "100%+ regains" (whatever that is) but a sensible lowering of calories has a great success rate. In fact, I found that restricting carbohydrates was very counter productive. It was a pain in the rear and I couldn't keep it up. All of the weight I lost eating low carb came roaring back. Not so with a moderate calorie deficit.

Also cravings when cutting carbs are out of his world
  • amandatcv23
    amandatcv23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I am pretty knowledgeable about weight training, definitely not an expert. Honestly that is the only way I have lost weight and actually kept it off because I was gaining muscle. Just fell off track because I hurt my back