agave nectar

Options
does agave nectar have the same effect on our blood sugar as regular sugar? do our bodies process it the same?

Replies

• Julie252
    Julie252 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "Agave nectar's glycemic index and glycemic load are comparable to fructose,[8][9] which in turn has a much lower glycemic index and glycemic load than table sugar (sucrose).[10][11] However, consumption of large amounts of fructose can be deleterious and can trigger fructose malabsorption, metabolic syndrome,[12] hypertriglyceridemia, decreased glucose tolerance, hyperinsulinemia, and accelerated uric acid formation.[13][14][15]"

From Wikipedia.

I use it in my coffee in the mornings. I figure it is better that sugar, even if not perfect. Plus it is not come chemical cr@p either. I use the raw variety.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I've been using it lately but this is what I found.. not even sure if it answers your question but maybe do some research on google.. http://www.sheerbalance.com/nutrition/natural-sweeteners-to-replace-sugar/
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Agave has a low glycemic effect. Everything in moderation though :happy:
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just started using it and love it. Here is a website that is All About Agave: http://www.allaboutagave.com/agave-vs-granular.php
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    If you trust wiki as a source:

"Agave nectar consists primarily of fructose and glucose. One source gives 92% fructose and 8% glucose; another gives 56% fructose and 20% glucose"

That is a higher ratio of fructose:glucose than high-fructose corn syrup, which people seem to be terrified of. I've never understood why people are so militantly against HFCS but then will turn to agave nectar and other high fructose sources for sweeteners.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I too recently learned this. It was about the same time I noticed I had a higher craving for sweets after eating it too. So I threw my agave out; Not that I ever used it much anyways.

"Agave nectar consists primarily of fructose and glucose. One source gives 92% fructose and 8% glucose; another gives 56% fructose and 20% glucose"

That is a higher ratio of fructose:glucose than high-fructose corn syrup, which people seem to be terrified of. I've never understood why people are so militantly against HFCS but then will turn to agave nectar and other high fructose sources for sweeteners.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options

Because it's "natural."
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

HFCS: fueling champions since the seventies.