How do you avoid over-washing your hair when you workout every day of the week?

Options
asgentr
asgentr Posts: 228 Member
I'm in my forties and my hair is getting more fragile. I sweat a lot when I workout, so need to wash my hair after. Washing so often is destroying my hair! Anyone have a solution? Thanks!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't wash with shampoo every time. First day, shampoo. Second day, just water. Third day, just conditioner (I have a separate deep conditioner I use that day. And I repeat the cycle from there.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    This may sound counter intuitive but organic coconut oil is really good for your hair & scalp & instead of using your shampoo each time which is washing away all the oils from your scalp as well as the sweat try a mild solution of apple cidar vinegar it will wash away the sweat & then just lightly condition the ends ...
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a solution, but you won't like it...lol
    :)
    objdib81k990.jpg
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    just rinse with water. you can condition the ends if needed.
  • Ama093
    Ama093 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just use some dry shampoo! works wonders
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just don't shampoo every time... I shower almost every day, but I only shampoo once a week... Also, try cooler water. Keeping the water very hot tends to dry out everything (skin, hair, etc)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can try dry shampoo just on the roots. I probably wash my hair twice a week, but shower daily.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Dry hair shampoo.
  • kwiatrtdy2
    kwiatrtdy2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A crap tonne of conditioner. I have to wash my hair every day because it gets so greasy from my oily skin
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I don't wash with shampoo every time. First day, shampoo. Second day, just water. Third day, just conditioner (I have a separate deep conditioner I use that day. And I repeat the cycle from there.

This is exactly what I do! My hair would be like straw if i washed it everyday.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Find a moisturizing daily cleanser for your hair..

I like clear.

Very nice
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Leave in conditioner. I was almost every day to get the chlorine out. I do check ins with the gal who cuts my hair. She said it looks fine. I have a crap tonne of hair though...
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    As others have echoed, dry shampoo can be a lifesaver. And I've found that the less I wash my hair, the less I need to wash my hair.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo, baby!!

and buns. all the buns.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Rinse only or dry shampoo
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Bumble & Bumble dry shampoo--best one I've tried. I have fine, thin hair. Also, Oscar Blandi dry conditioning spray. Happy hair! :smiley:
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Barrettes and ponytail or baseball cap.

I used to wash my hair daily when I was in my teens and 20's because it was oily. Then every other day in my 30's because it was colored. Starting with the 40's it was about every third day, even with working out - less oily, still processed and too dry to wash so often. Now that I'm retired my need to look fabulous every day has diminished, so if I'm not leaving the house for anything nice sometimes I'll go 4-5 days. My solution is to clip it back with a barrette or wear a baseball cap in a pinch. Washing less frequently has really improved the condition of my hair!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I usually wash my hair at least twice a day because my schedule demands it. Maybe if you choose to exercise only once a day in the morning (before a shower) then one post exercise wash would be enough.