Swimming....

Options
Does that count as exercise? I have been getting in the pool to swim with my kids almost everyday for the past week. I usually swim around a good 30-45 minutes before retiring to my float to work on my tan...lol. Does the swimming around count as leisurely swimming in the exercise database?

Replies

• Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I can be in the pool for a hour or so and always add that!! Swimming is a great workout!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Yes. The resistance from the water as you move and the general activity of getting your HR up counts as exercise. That said, (and like many exercises), MFP does overestimate the calories burned for leisurely swimming. When I go to the lake with my daughter or play with her in the pool, I usually count about 75% of the calories MFP says I burned through "leisurely swimming."
  • crystalpotts
    crystalpotts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sweet!! Thanks! I will go add that right now!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM while I swim with the kids and in an hour I burn about 450 calories =))) Heck yes I count it!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM while I swim with the kids and in an hour I burn about 450 calories =))) Heck yes I count it!!

The HRM works in the water? I've always been afraid to do that. So I always count half of what MFP gives me.

But yes, count it. It's one of those things you don't realize you're expelling energy until a few hours afterwards.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    It depends what kind of swimming you are doing. Are you lap swimming? Chasing the kids around? Tossing the kids in the water? If you are actively moving the entire time, I'd say mark as leisurely. The resistance of the water is great to move around in.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

The HRM works in the water? I've always been afraid to do that. So I always count half of what MFP gives me.

But yes, count it. It's one of those things you don't realize you're expelling energy until a few hours afterwards.

Mine says that it will work but the results may be unreliable... i.e. it may have moments where it cannot read your heart rate
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options

What type of hrm do u have? I want one to swim with x
  • crystalpotts
    crystalpotts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I actually swim swim and do flips and stuff ( kid at heart...lol), and throw my kids around.
  • Sandeeday
    Sandeeday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes I do water Jogging its a good workout I look like a nut jogging the pool the kids think its funny ;) I do resistants using water and use a ball or boogie board. and also swim some laps. It feels so good less pressure on the body.
    I googled water workouts and there are some good ones