Splurging

Options
Is it ok to splurge every so often? I am dedicated but sometimes it's nice not having to feel like ur restricted! This is a forever life style change and ur going to have down days? I am determined. Tmrw I'll go back to eating normal and gym too burn 500 calories

! If I weight 153 lbs and want to get to 120... I want to know how many calories I need to burn a week eating 1,30" calories?

Replies

• KendraMariexO
    KendraMariexO Posts: 44 Member
    Options
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Having too many restrictions can lead to restrict and binge cycles. How many restrictions are you putting on yourself?

Exercise isn't needed for weight loss. Eating 1300 calories should result in weight loss. However without knowing your age, height, and activity level I can't even guess as to how big of a deficit it gives you or if it's even appropriate calorie goal for you. If MFP gave you that number, that means that without exercise you should lose at whatever rate loss you selected per week. If you exercise you will need to eat a bit more to keep to your weekly rate of loss selection.

~ My only restriction since I started using MFP has been to keep to my NET calorie goal. ~
  • KendraMariexO
    Options
    I normall will have an ice Capp or something and still stay under calories or I'll have a piece of chocolate for lunch. But every so often I get in the mood to go at it because I already went over my calories but I'm just in that mood bc I crave stuff, mfp wants me at 1,200 but I work out so I go to 1,300. So so often I go over calories so I do t over do and get into bad habits again. I love being heslthy I have lost almost 40 lbs. but I recently as I get lower have splurged. But one day won't kill u as long as it's not everyday bc I figure u can't gain much back lol! But I did splurge. I lost a couple plz too and almost at my sec goal 140. I'm 153 so I said why not bc I know if I do t I will find ways to cheat I don't want that.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I splurge along the way. I've lost .9 lbs a week on average for 240 days. Some people pride themselves on how perfect the can be; I'm not one of those people. I'm consistent but far from perfect.
    I even have splurge grades:
    Low grade splurge: I need a break, or I'm traveling; eat at maintenance for a few days to a week...
    Medium grade splurge: It's a party... or a friend is in town... Maybe my kids birthday or something; splurge anywhere between 500-1000 calories. Work that into my weekly deficit if I can & move on.
    High grade splurge: think Thanksgiving, annual Christmas party, etc; eat all the food. I repeat: eat ALL the food!! All of it! FYI I seem to top out at 4000 calories. Then just start eating again at a deficit the next day.
  • KendraMariexO
    Options
    That's amazing! How do I calculate if I'm going to lose 2 lbs a week I don't get how to do the math
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    If I have a day where I'm really hungry, I will eat to maintenance. It only lessens my deficit a tiny bit. You could switch MFP to maintain to see what that number is for your current weight. Then when your really hungry allow yourself to eat to that #. It will mean your deficit will be slightly smaller for the week, but it won't have any major impact on your weight loss.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You have to use trial and error. The standard 3500 calorie deficit doesn't result in 1 lb of loss for everyone. Eat at a 500 calorie deficit & see what you lose...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    a full cheat day can add back every calorie you didn't eat the week before. i know some meals i used to eat when i was out could easily be 3000 calories each - have two of those plus a regular meal, and you've added 5000 extra calories, and it takes 3500 to put a pound on.

a lot of people here have a cheat meal once a week - would that help?
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    That's amazing! How do I calculate if I'm going to lose 2 lbs a week I don't get how to do the math

2 lbs a week is probably to large a deficit and the reason MFP gave you a NET goal of 1200 calories. Typical recommendations:
    - No more than 1% of your body weight per week
    - 0.5 lbs per week loss if you have less than 25 lbs to lose
    - 1 lb per week loss if you have 25 - 50 lbs to lose
    - 1.5 lb per week loss if you have 50 - 75 lbs to lose
    - 2 lbs per week loss if you have 75 + to lose
  • charlsy1691
    charlsy1691 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had the nicest Pizza Hut the other day totally worth it!