Toning Up

Options
Hello everyone, I like my size. However, I would like to tone up to lose the fat and gain more muscle. Is there any way that I can 'tone up' without losing weight? :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance calories, lift weights/exercise, be patient.

Have a scan of this thread....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • itsflaccoi
    itsflaccoi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No if you want to Tone up you have to Eat above you maintenance calories but if you eat only 100-200 more calories over you maintenance you should only gain about 1 1/2 pounds Over a months time and most lf it will be muscle weight so you will be more toned
  • sct1985
    sct1985 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think technically there is no such thing as toning muscle. It is all building muscle, the fitness industry just invented the concept of toning because it sounds more appealing to women. But if by toning you mean modest muscle gains, then just lift weights doing both isolation (bicep curls etc) and compound exercises (this could be push-ups if you don't have fancy equipment and pull-ups would be really great if you have a spot to do them). Then eat at a small-ish calorie surplus like others have said.

You won't lose fat while eating a calorie surplus though. More defined muscles may mean you can 'wear' the same amount of fat better, but that's about it.