My new Fitbit Alta review

Options
Until now, I've had a Fitbit Charge, but after only 5 months of use, the Charge started peeling and falling apart. Not cool. So on to the Alta I went.

I could get it paired and started, but not synced thereafter. To do that, I had to upload the firmware necessary to sync it from either my phone or my laptop and couldn't, after approximately 5 bazillion attempts, so had to call customer service. They tried too, for an hour long phone call, before giving up and sending me a new one. They told me to just recycle the old one; it wasn't even worth returning to them. This all happened today, so the new one hasn't arrived yet. This is a brand new device - they just started shipping them - and it already requires firmware updates before it can be used. By the way, there are zero instructions anywhere about the set up, so make sure you have your previous Fitbit at least 15 feet away, your other dongle removed, your Bluetooth off, etc., when setting up. It still won't work, but that should save you some time!

I got the plum colour, and you know, I wasn't really digging the look of it. Everyone talks about how feminine it is, but really, it's a piece of cheap-looking purple plastic on your wrist. Skinnier, width-wise, but still thick, and the plastic just looks so awful.

I had to tap it quite hard to get it to turn on.

The clasp is very difficult to secure - I had to press it into me so hard that it left imprints on my wrist. There was simply no other way to get it to clasp.

What's your experience so far?

Replies

• fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No one else has any feedback?
  • wuwu90
    wuwu90 Posts: 275 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just got the flex. After two days my fitbits battery was almost dead (should last 5 to 6 days) so i contacted fitbit support. They could see on their side that the trackers battery was draining quicker than it should. So they said they will send me a replacment one. Should arrive 7 to 10 working days. Shame that they sell faulty products but at least (hopefully) they'll replace it with one that works
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I got it maybe two weeks ago, but my Charge HR is still my primary Fitbit. I got the Alta for the sleeker/more attractive look for when I'm more dressed up. I had no issues with setup, and none of the other issues you report.
  • Ama093
    Ama093 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also have the Alta. I have had no problems with it at all. Setting up took 10mins. It is difficult at times to secure the band but I actually like that it is hard to get on. I don't have to worry about it falling off:) The screen does scratch easily though
  • FantasticallyNicki
    FantasticallyNicki Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had the Alta since release. It did take a trick to get it set up. I had to put the dongle in my computer and even downloaded the Fitbit app on my computer. It updated quickly, and synced from there after. I've had no issues with it syncing via computer or phone with Bluetooth.

Overall, I do like the device over my Flex. I like the face of it better and the "smarter" features although I don't use the call or text notifications just due to not wanting to run batteries down on my device or phone. It's easy to use in my opinion and the app is easy to customize to your goals. Haven't had any issues with scratching just yet, but we shall see. Hope this helps!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    Okay, so I now have my replacement and have been using it for a few days. It did set up properly, so I guess my first one was a lemon.

Wow, do I hate this thing! You have to basically hammer on the interface to get it to come on ("tap" it, my big round behind!) and it usually still doesn't work. You can't see it outside in sunlight at all. The vibration alarm is too gentle to alarm anyone. The numbers are all given in "k"s, i.e., instead of 10,000 steps, it reads "10k" steps. And did I mention it's ugly? Way too expensive for this nonsense.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    This new device does not sound good at all!! I'm a Fitbit One fan and I'll not be in a hurry to try the Alta!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    This new device does not sound good at all!! I'm a Fitbit One fan and I'll not be in a hurry to try the Alta!

I'm thinking of going to a Pebble.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can change the display. If you have it on horizontal it shows up the complete numbers and not just k's.

The band gets easier to use after a few times Putting it on.

I have found the best place to thump it is on the edge where the band meets the device.

I really like mine. I like the move notifications and the calendar alerts have been super helpful.

I give it two thumbs up!

I've also had the One and the Flex. The Alta is the best of the three.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    You can change the display. If you have it on horizontal it shows up the complete numbers and not just k's.

I have found the best place to thump it is on the edge where the band meets the device.

I really like mine. I like the move notifications and the calendar alerts have been super helpful.

I give it two thumbs up!

Yes, but you can't see it if it's on horizontal! The Charge is way better than the Alta, although it too is ugly and fell apart after 5 months, so that ain't so good either. You shouldn't have to thump something to get it to work, and you should be able to see it in sunlight.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had issues with the set up too. I have an Android phone and I had to sync through my computer to set up my Alta. After that, though, it would sync to my phone just fine. I don't have any complaints so far, but you're right the wristband is a pain to put on. I also have the plum colored wristband, but I think maybe in the future I will purchase one of the more attractive leather bands. As far as recording my exercise data correctly, I think it has been pretty spot-on. I previously used a Zip, and the Alta seems to work just as well. I like seeing my sleep information each morning.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »

I give it two thumbs up!

Yes, but you can't see it if it's on horizontal! The Charge is way better than the Alta, although it too is ugly and fell apart after 5 months, so that ain't so good either. You shouldn't have to thump something to get it to work, and you should be able to see it in sunlight.

I can see the data just fine on the horizontal setting. And it's just a little tap to see and scroll through the data. I agree that it's not easy to see in the sunlight though.

I guess we just have different exceptions. I never tried the Charge,
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What i want to know is why you bought an alta when you were having problems with your existing fitbit. To me, i would have taken that chance to move on to something else. :(

• fileshiny
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    What i want to know is why you bought an alta when you were having problems with your existing fitbit. To me, i would have taken that chance to move on to something else. :(

Well, I did my research. I couldn't find another one that seemed better.