Results and Nutrition Questions

Options
Ms90seka
Ms90seka Posts: 28 Member
Hello everyone,
I have started payign attention to my weight in 2013 but i was following fad diets, its not until the end of 2014 I figured what a balance healthy lifestyle meant.I am 170 cm tall, 25 years old and a female.
I am proud of what I have done so far. It took me three years because I was learning by myself, I didn't strict myself to anything, I just follow a healthy life style , pay attention to food portions when eating unhealthy food , and from time to time I do sports.
However, I want to make a plan and focus on losing 8 kg more in three months.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
I have started my Journey in 23rd of April 2013, my body stat were (usinig inBody 720):
Weight: 79.1 kg
Body Fat mass: 32 kg
Muscle mass: 25.8 kg
BF%: 40.4
WHR: 0.92
BMR:1387kcal
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Currently 10th of April 2016, my body stat for today :smile:
Weight :67.2 kg
Body fat mass: 21.1 kg
Muscle mass: 25.1 kg
BF%: 31.3
WHR: 0.89
BMR: 1366 Kcal

I want to know what is the best macros to follow for next three months to lose 8kg of fat:
should I be eating 1 g of protein for each 1lb of my body weight?
Or should I not worry about that right not and just focus on calories consumption alone?
If yes Should I go for 1300 kcal a day? Considering I'm only a writer and workout only three days a week at the gym.

Thank you and sorry da long post :blush:

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It's odd you ask this because i've never worried about macros... I've lost over 30 pounds and my only concern is staying under my calories and working out. :|

I'm actually unsure how important macros are.. i pretty much go over on sugar everyday according to MFP but it's coming from things like milk, and fruit. I hope someone else can help, but from my understanding macros mean nothing. I think the only time you'd worry about protein is when you're trying to build up muscle, which you wont do on a calories deficient anyways.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You might find this interesting: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/

"So basically we have an intake continuum ranging from about 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) as a minimum for the obese non-training individual up to a high of around 3.3 g/kg (1.5 g/lb) of protein per pound of lean body mass for very lean heavily training athletes or bodybuilders with middle ground values being found in between those two extremes."

What kind of workouts do you do at the gym? Is it weightlifting? Is it cardio? Is it both?
  • LetsDoThis141
    LetsDoThis141 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    First off, scrap BMI as it is awfully inaccurate. To find your maintenance weight, use your BMI (1366) as a starter. If you gained weight on 1366kcal decrease calories, if you loss weight increase calories. Once you have found your maintenance, go into a caloric deficit and track your weight at the end of the week (1kg decrease or less is considered healthy, manipulate it to lose 8kg in x weeks) and from there on out it's as simple as calories in, calories out.

Some extra tips on your journey! ☺️
    + increasing your protein will certainly help
    + Carbs and fats are essential for wellbeing
    + Don't think of it as a diet, rather a lifestyle.
    + Food is meant to be delicious.
    + Progressively increase/decrease calories. Allow your body to adapt to the changes brah!
    + Good luck!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You are asking the right question. You want to lose FAT, not weight per say. This makes the answer very easy - to lose (burn) fat, you must keep insulin down. To keep insulin down you must keep sugar (carbs) down (low).
    Low carbs are the way you enable your body to burn fat. Keep below 100 grams/day. :)
  • bioklutz
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    You are asking the right question. You want to lose FAT, not weight per say. This makes the answer very easy - to lose (burn) fat, you must keep insulin down. To keep insulin down you must keep sugar (carbs) down (low).
    Low carbs are the way you enable your body to burn fat. Keep below 100 grams/day. :)

That is not how it works. If you want to lose fat without changing your body weight head over to this post for more information: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • Ms90seka
    Options
    First off, scrap BMI as it is awfully inaccurate. To find your maintenance weight, use your BMI (1366) as a starter. If you gained weight on 1366kcal decrease calories, if you loss weight increase calories. Once you have found your maintenance, go into a caloric deficit and track your weight at the end of the week (1kg decrease or less is considered healthy, manipulate it to lose 8kg in x weeks) and from there on out it's as simple as calories in, calories out.

Some extra tips on your journey! ☺️
    + increasing your protein will certainly help
    + Carbs and fats are essential for wellbeing
    + Don't think of it as a diet, rather a lifestyle.
    + Food is meant to be delicious.
    + Progressively increase/decrease calories. Allow your body to adapt to the changes brah!
    + Good luck!

Thank you for your tipst. I didn't mention BMI, this is BMR basel metabolic rate :)

• Ms90seka
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    It's odd you ask this because i've never worried about macros... I've lost over 30 pounds and my only concern is staying under my calories and working out. :|

I'm actually unsure how important macros are.. i pretty much go over on sugar everyday according to MFP but it's coming from things like milk, and fruit. I hope someone else can help, but from my understanding macros mean nothing. I think the only time you'd worry about protein is when you're trying to build up muscle, which you wont do on a calories deficient anyways.

Thank you for your comment. Am concern now because am close to my Ideal weight. So I heard once that the less kilos you have to lose the harder it gets..not sure how accurate is that . So in that case you will need to pay attention to the macros.
  • Ms90seka
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    You might find this interesting: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/

"So basically we have an intake continuum ranging from about 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) as a minimum for the obese non-training individual up to a high of around 3.3 g/kg (1.5 g/lb) of protein per pound of lean body mass for very lean heavily training athletes or bodybuilders with middle ground values being found in between those two extremes."

What kind of workouts do you do at the gym? Is it weightlifting? Is it cardio? Is it both?

Its a combination of both, am training with a personal trainer at the gym. Usually we start with 20 min on the treadmill, 30 minutes resistance training and last 10 min on the cross.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    You certainly don't have to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight if you don't want to. There will be no harm if you do. There are going to be many varying opinions on the subject. The article I linked gives a range. Pick a number and try it.

For loosing the last 8 kg I would go with a rate of 0.5 kg/week for 4 kg. When you have 4 kg. left to lose slow it down to 0.25 kg/week. Or just go for 0.25 kg/week for the whole 8 kg. There is no reason you need to be hungry while losing weight!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

Untrue
  • Ms90seka
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    You certainly don't have to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight if you don't want to. There will be no harm if you do. There are going to be many varying opinions on the subject. The article I linked gives a range. Pick a number and try it.

For loosing the last 8 kg I would go with a rate of 0.5 kg/week for 4 kg. When you have 4 kg. left to lose slow it down to 0.25 kg/week. Or just go for 0.25 kg/week for the whole 8 kg. There is no reason you need to be hungry while losing weight!

Thank you for your help. I red the article. I can't eat 100g of protien a day. So ill just focus on the calories consumed ;) I'll continue this week as my current plan to lose 1kg and see how it goes. Am afraid that I won't see even 0.25 kg down. My weight doesn't come off easily. If I lose 1 kg, am gonna increase my food intake as am being fatigued this week so I'll aim as you said for 0.5kg/week. Thanks again for the enlight :)