Macros do i need to count them for weightloss?

Options
I am trying too lose weight and have been tracking my macros pretty well. But im wondering if i need too track them so riggerously or is the total calorie goal ok too lose weight. I will keep an eye on it obviously bit today i only have 40g of carbs left but 900 calories so am struggling too find something too eat.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Does not matter what your macros are as long as you stay within your calories.
    I am a high carb person and losing weight.
    I love lots of beans, lentils, oatmeal, barley, even brown rice.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are trying to do. Just lose weight? Get lean? Toned?
    Your macros will matter depending on what your goal is.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for losing fat is calories. Macros can have some influence on body composition and they can help you feel fuller longer making sticking with your calorie goal easier. Having said that, I have seem people here who have achieved the goal of getting lean with everything from HCLF to HFLC. Find what works for you.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, calories are important. To lose fat, keeping carbs low is critical - that's what enables your body to burn fat.
  • Matthewdouglas0
    Matthewdouglas0 Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    mrcooper85 wrote: »
    I am trying too lose weight and have been tracking my macros pretty well. But im wondering if i need too track them so riggerously or is the total calorie goal ok too lose weight. I will keep an eye on it obviously bit today i only have 40g of carbs left but 900 calories so am struggling too find something too eat.

You don't necessarily need to hit any particular macro goal to be successful, HOWEVER, you must hit a certain calorie goal to be successful, and how your macros come out can determine whether you feel weak and starving whilst meeting that calorie goal. By that, I mean that by getting enough protein (minimum 20% of your macros and ideally maybe up to 35%) I have not felt overly hungry and have kept my lean mass in tact while losing 120 pounds. I also did some weight lifting. How the remainder of my macros came out, I know now, didn't matter all that much as long as I hit that 2200 calorie per day goal, which for me means a minimum of about 160 grams of protein a day.

Also, assuming your goal is weight loss, if you have 900 calories just sitting there and you don't even necessarily want them, I'd venture to say you're probably letting the app count back your exercise calories into your calorie budget. As someone who did that a long time with no real weight loss results, and then I got huge results once I stuck to just one calorie number goal everyday regardless of what activity I did, I would strongly urge you to Google TDEE calculator, do that calculation honestly, subtract 1,000 calories from what it says you need, and rigorously stick to that number. When I eventually did that my weight loss took off big time.

Good luck!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    No, keeping carbs low is not critical for fat loss. The only thing critical for fat loss is a caloric deficit and finding foods that satisfy you that allow you to be successful with whatever goals you have. The only macros I glance at are protein and fiber levels, but the others I truly don't care.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    No, keeping carbs low is not critical for fat loss. The only thing critical for fat loss is a caloric deficit and finding foods that satisfy you that allow you to be successful with whatever goals you have. The only macros I glance at are protein and fiber levels, but the others I truly don't care.

This. I've never paid attention to macros- had no problem losing the extra weight and now maintaining. I do pay attention to calories.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    People have succeeded with all ratios of macros. Personally, I prefer high fat and protein because it keeps me full longer. I also have been low carb lately at the suggestion of my doctor.

Experiment and see what you like best.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    To lose weight, calories are important. To lose fat, keeping carbs low is critical - that's what enables your body to burn fat.

So those not keeping carbs low and only focusing on calories are not losing fat? What kind of weight are they losing? Muscle?

If keeping carbs low was critical for fat loss, then how did I lose 6 inches off my belly, 6 off my hips, 6 off my waist and 34 lbs, while eating at 75% carbs on a plant-based diet? Was that muscle I lost around my waist and belly? No, it was fat. And how am I maintaining 118 lbs while eating the same macros?

Your body will burn excess body fat if it's in a calorie deficit, regardless of macros, just like @janetyellen said above.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options

So those not keeping carbs low and only focusing on calories are not losing fat? What kind of weight are they losing? Muscle?

Haha exactly my thoughts :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Yi5hedr3 please for once come back and clarify...
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Macros and calories are both important but it helps to know what the thermic effect is.

Protein 20-35%
    Fat/Carb 5-15%.

Taking the higher end of that range, let's say Person A is taking in 2000 calories of say 50% carb, 35% fat, and 15% protein. Person A's body absorbs 1640 calories [1000-(.15 x 1000)] +[700-(.15 x 700)] +[300-(.35 x 300)].

Person B takes in 2000 calories of 30% carb, 30% fat, and 40% protein , you body absorbs 1540 calories. [600-(.15 x 600)] + [600-(.15 x 600)]+ [800-(.35 x 800)].

The above is just to simplify for illustration purposes. The human body is much more complicated than the above example. But as you can see, even though person A and person B are consuming the same calories, person B will lose more 100 more calories if they eat more protein. BOTH macros and calories are important in the grand scheme of things.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Ah, I must have lost 50 lbs of water weight with my lower calorie, higher carb weight loss phase then. Sounds legit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Its all about calories in/out, being in deficit makes us lose weight - I never looked at macros whilst I was in losing phase, now at maintenance the only macros I keep an eye on is protein and sugars.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So false. Where did my fat go?
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

So false. Where did my fat go?

I understand you're replying to the low carb statement, but I am compelled to share that burned fat molecules are broken down into carbon dioxide and water. It gets exhaled and peed out! Fun fact of the day.