Healthiest Diet EVER??...

Options
If one wants to lose weight (30+ lbs) keep it off, and be as healthy as possible from the inside out, what is the BEST diet?? What are key things to avoid? Curious what the mass majority thinks on this! Some days I want to do paleo, some days I want to go vegan, some days I want to do a modified version of something I make up but I don't want to just lose weight I want to be HEALTHY and live long and look good doing it :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The diet you can do for the rest of your life.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

True statement.

Variety is always good, maybe incorporate recipes from the dieting styles that interest you?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's all opinion. Current FDA/USDA guidelines recommend eating a well-varied diet appropriate for one's calorie needs (based on age, weight, and activity level) and placing an emphasis on eating fruits and vegetables (at least half your plate should be vegetables), whole grains, beans and legumes, lean protein and soy products, dairy, and fats/oils and added sugars in moderation. No food or food group is necessarily evil (the only thing they really want people to avoid are trans fats because of their link to coronary artery disease), but you may find that you feel healthier by eating more of certain foods and less of others (especially if you have a medical condition).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Agree with this. If you don't actually follow it, then no diet will work. A combination of a varied diet rich in protein, good fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals that adds up to the right number of calories, with regular cardio and strength training will serve you well. The funny thing is though, there are many paths that will take you there. Find what works for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This is what I was going to say... whatever you can stick to while keeping a healthy weight. Then whatever diet lets you meet your daily nutrients and gives you enough protein, fat, and fiber.
  • Courtwag25
    Courtwag25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I knew the answer would be "whatever works for you that you stick to" but hypothetically I was curious to see what the majority of people's opinions were on what is "healthy" and good for long term weight loss! I have my own opinions about dairy and sugar being bad so I don't typically agree with the FDA guidelines , but it is dreadfully hard for me to give up either even though I know they're bad! Also is hard to limit fruit for me! Do you all favor high carb low fat, low carb high fat? Etc, just wanting opinions!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Came here to say that as well.

If you want some more guidance, there's no one-size-fits-all best. A lot depends on your individual health and fitness, and on your goals. For example, for about 11% of the population, cutting sodium gives meaningful health benefits in the form of improved blood pressure. For the rest, there's no health benefit to reducing sodium at all. Those with vitamin or mineral deficiencies may have very different dietary needs than those without those deficiencies. And a ton of it is personal preference - there's no single "best", there are millions of possible diets that would meet your nutritional needs, the best is the one you prefer.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A varied diet, that consists of things you eat. I'm a big fan of "Make sure you eat foods of a whole lot of different colors".

Nothing wrong with dairy, or sugar. In fact, might shock you, but most athletes consume a metric ton of sugar (I know I do, just did today, in fact). And, why limit fruit? That's kinda silly, bananas are perfect pre-workout fuels.

Why are you concerned about giving them up?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In respect to weight loss it's all about energy balance, I wouldn't want to try it myself but you can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies as long as you're consuming fewer calories than you expend.

In terms of healthiest you'll get a wide range of opinions (and that's what most of them are....opinions with little or no scientific basis to suggest that x is better than y)

No foods are inherently bad unless you suffer from allergies or specific health issues. Some people do find it easier to comply with a lower carb high fat / high protein diet but I suspect that's because of greater satiety.

• bamfgoals
    bamfgoals Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Came here to say this.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ^^^THIS!
    :)
    Yes, I know tofu wrapped in seaweed, thrice dipped in kale juice is the healthiest food on earth, but how much good will it do my body rotting in the fridge?
    We all need to strive toward our personal ideal for "clean eating", and we must also allow ourselves to be human.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Dairy and sugar aren't bad. That's gonna make me sad if you say they are.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    The human body is amazingly flexible in terms of diet, and the more I see, the more I find the biggest issue is whatever diet can keep you from eating more calories than you need that at the same time allows for a variety of foods that provide many different nutrients.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

pretty much end thread.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have lots of food allergies so I can't answer this question for you. I eat dairy - mostly yogurt, cottage cheese and whey isolate after a heavy lifting session and sugar because I like fruit and it gets added to yogurt and I don't always think to check the label and but the least sugary that meets all my other "can't have this" foods. (shellfish is easy to avoid, soybeans are not, wheat is even worse and that's not all that makes me ill.) I also grow my own veggies - gardening is better exercise than most people think and I like shopping in my yard. I have found what works for me. Experiment until you find what works for you.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Yep this. I kept things simple and continued to eat the foods I liked but I learned how calories worked and I started tracking my calories, started following portion sizes and stayed within my calorie parameters. I didn't cut out any foods or do any fad diets. Not only did I lose around 50 lbs and improve my health, but I've also been able to maintain my loss for 3 years now.

I'm in excellent health now and I'm doing this whole thing in a way that's realistic and sustainable long term.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Courtwag25 wrote: »
    Yes I knew the answer would be "whatever works for you that you stick to" but hypothetically I was curious to see what the majority of people's opinions were on what is "healthy" and good for long term weight loss! I have my own opinions about dairy and sugar being bad so I don't typically agree with the FDA guidelines , but it is dreadfully hard for me to give up either even though I know they're bad! Also is hard to limit fruit for me! Do you all favor high carb low fat, low carb high fat? Etc, just wanting opinions!

You'll find 3000000 different opinions about this, lol.
  • Courtwag25
    Options
    Thankssssssssss
  • Courtwag25
    Options
    And sugar and dairy are bad FOR ME they make my skin terrible and I gain weight when I eat them and lose weight when I don't but I love them both lol
  • Courtwag25
    Options
    And by sugar I mean added sugar/processed sugar/bad for u sugar in general. I know ultimately it's all calories in vs calories out but I do personally believe a more natural whole foods diet works best for my overall body type instead of eating whatever I want as long as it fits my calories