PALEO DIET

Options
just started the paleo diet to lose a few pounds! Anybody have any tips for this diet?:)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just eat the food you like. Paleo is bunk. Calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I stay away from anything that dictates to me what I am "allowed" to eat. You can eat everything that you want, so long as you stay under your [reasonable] calorie goal. Simple, straight-forward, fad-free weight loss that works.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Paleo does not guarantee weight loss...as a matter of fact I've seen people gain while eating paleo.

Just eat the foods you love/want/crave and stay in a deficit you will lose a few pounds that way.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Heres a positive comment for Paleo... I tried Whole30 last month after reading a lot about paleo/primal eating.. decided Whole30 was worth the hard work to work out whether I was intolerant to anything.. turns out one of the most recommended items on paleo - coconut milk makes me badly bloated! I did lose 7lb but that was over 6 weeks.. far too slow for me. Decided I like the principles of Primal more than Paleo (allows dairy etc) but I am going the Atkins way to get me into ketosis to lose some serious pounds before I settle down with Primal and lose at a more reasonable pace! Good luck!!
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As someone who eats a ketogenic diet, I wish people would stop making it (and its fashionable cousin the Paleo diet) look like some magic weight loss trick.

It's not. And even if you're on a Paleo, keto diet, you still need to adhere to CICO to lose weight. 2,000 calories is 2,000 calories whether it's carbs or fat.
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    As someone who eats a ketogenic diet, I wish people would stop making it (and its fashionable cousin the Paleo diet) look like some magic weight loss trick.

It's not. And even if you're on a Paleo, keto diet, you still need to adhere to CICO to lose weight. 2,000 calories is 2,000 calories whether it's carbs or fat.

Have you read all the info on "a calorie is not a calorie" ?! There's a whole load of mind boggling info out there.. it's no wonder people get confused - especially when the likes of low carb diets state to not worry about calories they will take care of themselves... so not true - it's incredibly easy to eat way over what you should be doing on this kind of diet.. after losing 7lb over 6 weeks... (about 5 of that was water weight) - I knew I needed to monitor calories also..
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    the likes of low carb diets state to not worry about calories they will take care of themselves... so not true - it's incredibly easy to eat way over what you should be doing on this kind of diet.. after losing 7lb over 6 weeks... (about 5 of that was water weight) - I knew I needed to monitor calories also..

I'm agreeing with you. Too many people on here seem to think keto/Paleo is some kind of miracle diet.

I started eating keto for other reasons than weight loss.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    just started the paleo diet to lose a few pounds! Anybody have any tips for this diet?:)

@sawaguespack as you can read social media can be devoid of non confusing eating advice. :)

Google I find to be my friend for eating advice. I read the pros and cons and sleep on it and over time the most logical info floats to the top like cream does in unprocessed whole milk.

You are on the right road so keep up your efforts. I was 63 before I started asking questions like you are asking and had crashed my health with yo yo dieting but at the age of 65 now my health and health markers are better then when I was 45 and hopefully they will be better when I am 75 than they are today.

Keep up your eating research and try not let the noise side track you like I did.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

@sawaguespack as you can read social media can be devoid of non confusing eating advice. :)

Google I find to be my friend for eating advice. I read the pros and cons and sleep on it and over time the most logical info floats to the top like cream does in unprocessed whole milk.

You are on the right road so keep up your efforts. I was 63 before I started asking questions like you are asking and had crashed my health with yo yo dieting but at the age of 65 now my health and health markers are better then when I was 45 and hopefully they will be better when I am 75 than they are today.

Keep up your eating research and try not let the noise side track you like I did.

I agree with you Gale... after a while of mulling everything over and even trying out a few different tips - you naturally learn what works for you the best. There are many variations of Paleo.. find the right one for you OP.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Yep, for mere weight loss, eat whatever and maintain a deficit...
    For optimal health and peak fitness, it actually does matter what you eat, but again, if your only interest is weight loss, whatever...
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »

Yep, for mere weight loss, eat whatever and maintain a deficit...
    For optimal health and peak fitness, it actually does matter what you eat, but again, if your only interest is weight loss, whatever...

I agree... some years ago I successfully lost nearly 60lb by eating sweets, choccie biscuits, drinking alchohol..and lots of sugary tea. It can definitely be done, and my only interest at that point was weight loss - it suited me.

Is it healthy? No way... and am I doing it like that this time around? No..I finally realised I do actually care about my health more than my weight now and I am taking a totally different approach. It's not just about a calorie deficit.. unless your only goal is weight loss.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You may have great success on paleo, but ultimately it's about what is sustainable for you in the everyday and what works best for you when creating your calorie deficit. For others of us, excluding foods from our diet (meaning the foods we eat, not health food, low cal, low taste cardboard) doesn't work for us.
    There's a paleo group on MFP as well that you may want to look into so you find more people focused on it as you are/will be/are for right now. Best of luck on continued success!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in a paleo approach to eating, which I personally couldn't do (legumes), start here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Is it the best approach to a "healthstyle" I dunno. Is it better than what the average American (and soon the average human) eats? SURE. You decide if it's the best approach for YOU to improve YOUR HEALTH. Cheers!
  • Duroko
    Duroko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like other people here have stated. Do not expect paleo to be a miracle diet. Everybody's bodies are different and process various foods differently. I know people that lost tons on paleo but I also know people who gained weight on paleo. Plus in my opinion, "paleo" is a lifestyle not a diet.