trying to lose weight but have hypoglycemia?

Options
xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
xxgabriellaxxchanelxx Posts: 62 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Today I was doing so well. I ended my last meal at only 1300 calories for the whole day. And then my hypoglycemia attack hit and I started getting weak, tired, shaky, panic-y and devoured probably 300 extra calories just so i wouldn't pass out. I'm not diabetic btw, just hypoglycemic. How am i supposed to lose weight if i keep getting these attacks from a calorie deficit? Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    oh and i am eating a lot of protein each meal, so thats not the problem.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but as far as I'm aware hypoglycaemia is a symptom rather than an illness on its own. Your sugar can fall for some reason but not be low in general unless you are diabetic or have other conditions which can cause it to fall on certain occasions.

Are you sure you got hypoglycaemic attack and not an anxiety attack?
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Maybe you are cutting way too much.

How tall? How much do you weigh? How much are you trying to lose a week?

Honestly on 1300 cals I am ready to eat carpet and feel like crap.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor but as far as I'm aware hypoglycaemia is a symptom rather than an illness on its own. Your sugar can fall for some reason but not be low in general unless you are diabetic or have other conditions which can cause it to fall on certain occasions.

Are you sure you got hypoglycaemic attack and not an anxiety attack?

My hypoglycemia can get spiked very easily and crash very easily. If I don't eat enough it will become very low.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    What are your stats? Maybe you are cutting way too much.

How tall? How much do you weigh? How much are you trying to lose a week?

Honestly on 1300 cals I am ready to eat carpet and feel like crap.

im 5'4 and 122.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

My hypoglycemia can get spiked very easily and crash very easily. If I don't eat enough it will become very low.[/quote]

Well there's your answer, you need to eat more.

Set your MFP to lose 1lb a week and work out some to get more calories. Surely that will give you more than 1300 a day to eat. Spread your meals out carefully through the day too.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »

My hypoglycemia can get spiked very easily and crash very easily. If I don't eat enough it will become very low.

Well there's your answer, you need to eat more.

Set your MFP to lose 1lb a week and work out some to get more calories. Surely that will give you more than 1300 a day to eat. Spread your meals out carefully through the day too.
    [/quote]

true. i just want to lose weight faster, i guess. but you're right. i'll bump up my calorie intake.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found that switching to a LCHF diet cured my hypoglycemia. I no longer rely on glucose (carbs) as my primary fuel so I do not experience blood sugar swings anymore.

Pairing proteins with your carbs will help with BG spikes and dips too, although not nearly as much as eating a LCHF diet did for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip from a T2 diabetic in remission. Get yourself some glucotabs from the pharmacy (on the shelf near diabetic supplies). These will get you out of the danger zone the fastest for the lowest calories. Then have a small handful (a tablespoon) of nuts for long lasting energy.

You will need to allocate some of your calories for your snacks (say, 100 to 150 each) so your meals will have to be a bit smaller. Work to get all your macros, including fat, at every meal.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I found that switching to a LCHF diet cured my hypoglycemia. I no longer rely on glucose (carbs) as my primary fuel so I do not experience blood sugar swings anymore.

Pairing proteins with your carbs will help with BG spikes and dips too, although not nearly as much as eating a LCHF diet did for me.

Interesting. Thanks for your input. I'll keep that in mind.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's a tip from a T2 diabetic in remission. Get yourself some glucotabs from the pharmacy (on the shelf near diabetic supplies). These will get you out of the danger zone the fastest for the lowest calories. Then have a small handful (a tablespoon) of nuts for long lasting energy.

You will need to allocate some of your calories for your snacks (say, 100 to 150 each) so your meals will have to be a bit smaller. Work to get all your macros, including fat, at every meal.

Very helpful! Thank you. I will definitely try following your advice.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I find that if I don't eat simple sugars, or at least minimize them, I don't have hypoglycemia problems.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

And this, too. When I eat carbs, they are complex carbs.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    I find that if I don't eat simple sugars, or at least minimize them, I don't have hypoglycemia problems.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try :)
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic also ( non diabetic) I struggled with this in the beginning too (and still sometimes do). I find eating every 2-4 hours helps immensely. I try to have carbs and protein in every meal. I took quite a bit of playing around to get on a good schedule to keep my sugars even through the day, it changes daily depending on what workout I'm doing at what time.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I tend to get shaky when I don't eat every few hours, so I eat 5 times a day. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, then dinner. I also make sure I get a good mix of protein, carbs and fat each time. This works for me. Definitely go for more complex carbs than simple sugars.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    lgoldfarb wrote: »
    I'm hypoglycemic also ( non diabetic) I struggled with this in the beginning too (and still sometimes do). I find eating every 2-4 hours helps immensely. I try to have carbs and protein in every meal. I took quite a bit of playing around to get on a good schedule to keep my sugars even through the day, it changes daily depending on what workout I'm doing at what time.

Thank you! I'm glad i'm not the only one dealing with this while trying to lose weight. i'll try eating more often.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    I tend to get shaky when I don't eat every few hours, so I eat 5 times a day. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, then dinner. I also make sure I get a good mix of protein, carbs and fat each time. This works for me. Definitely go for more complex carbs than simple sugars.

Thanks for the input :) I'll give it a try!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Maybe plan out your meals so you're eating several more times a day. You can split your calories up accordingly. That helps keep your blood sugar more even throughout the day. I occasionally have issues with low blood sugar, and I've found eating more frequently, even if it's less that I'm eating at a time, helps keep things balanced.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Maybe plan out your meals so you're eating several more times a day. You can split your calories up accordingly. That helps keep your blood sugar more even throughout the day. I occasionally have issues with low blood sugar, and I've found eating more frequently, even if it's less that I'm eating at a time, helps keep things balanced.

Thanks for the advice! :) Today I will try eating 4-6 meals a day instead of just 3 and see if that helps.