Is it cheating?

Options
2»

Replies

• annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    In our BL contest here at my work they do % of weight loss not actual pounds. That way it is fair for all.

I am the second heaviest person in it and the smallest one is only in it to maintain... she loses less than .5 a pound every week so she doesn't have to pay for gaining. Each person will have their time but slow and steady will win the race.

You keep up your good work and do what you know in your heart is the right thing for you. :)
    Hugs!

We are doing a percentage as well, cuz i aint going up against a 450lbs man when im 270 cuz itd just be unfair LOL.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I started a competition the same way...had already been dieting, etc.... and I just took the day of the first weigh in "off" and ate b/f i went....I ended up in 3rd place....

I havent had a day off in 4 months.. im not going to start now... I was thinking of upping calories, not to gain weight, just in maintenance level, by eating healthy foods such as nuts, etc that are higher calories, and increasing salt by eating like canned veggies instead of fresh because of sodium level. I will have already ate before I went, not only the first weigh in, but every weigh in, cuz the meeting is after dinner; i will have already drank 20 cups of water by weigh in as well. pisses me off that its gotta be late in evening. by default, ill already be 5lbs heavier every weigh in, no mater how good im doing.

you know i heart your face but honestly i think this is going to mess with the good pattern you're on now. your system is used to what you are doing. sometimes confusion works and you will shed like crazy after but sometimes.... sometimes you end up confusing the wrong direction and your body will before more resiliant to letting go of the fat and water and you'll start retaining everything.

i would hate to see you sabotage what you have going now for $500.
  • JeanneGreenie
    JeanneGreenie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should do that. I think you should be proud of where you are! After the first week or two, those people will be right where you are and since you already know what you are doing, you may just kick their butts! :heart:
  • annacataldo
    Options
    I would not suggest doing this...why mess with your body's metabolism when you're doing such a great job?

Am I missing something?? What does everyone mean--mess up my body/metabolism??? Plenty of people zig-zag calories every single day, every single week & month because it keeps their body guessing, and they loose more (like a friend of mine who does this and was in a major plateau before she started zig zagging, and now that shes been zig zagging for a couple months she continues to loose her 1-2lbs a week, where otherwsie she wouldve been losing nothing). plenty of people have 1200 calories one day and 1700 the next.. How am i messing up anything? What am I missing here?
  • annacataldo
    Options
    If anything maybe reduce your sodium and increase water some more, eat more fruits and veggies and lean meats to keep losing. stay away from sweets etc... You may want to work out a little more BUT make sure you eat enough to fuel your workouts.

I dont think increasing water from a minimum of 20cups a day and increasing it higher is really that realistic. i cant work out more; or hardly at all; im disabled... and when i am able to work out i always eat back excercise calories. thats another unfair advantage they will have; is that they will be able to work out where i cant. i mowed the lawn this morning and im needing pain pills, i did wii bowling last night and i had to go home for pain pills, it SUCKS!! I have the energy, the stamina, and everything else to work out, I just cant unless i want pain pills; which i try not to ever take.
  • hydrosmak
    hydrosmak Posts: 16
    Options
    I have lost over 130lbs, not just using this site but other calorie counting sites. I have had a few "bad weeks" when I was on travel for work and they paid for all the food so I didn't have as many choices. In each instance I gained about 5-10lbs. It was 95% water weight and lost all of it within a week. In the time after those instances I have never seen any adverse affect to my system and still kept on losing weight at the same rate. So take that for what it is worth.
  • downwardsunshine
    downwardsunshine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay, upping your sodium intake for 4 days is NOT going to screw up your body. Come on. I must be in the minority but I would totally do it. You've already stated yourself that against their quick water weight losses, you will not lose as much. If you want to win then go for it. Do you remember the contestant on the Biggest Loser that drank like 20 gallons of water on his free pass week? Didn't he go on to win the whole thing?
  • annacataldo
    Options
    Okay, upping your sodium intake for 4 days is NOT going to screw up your body. Come on. I must be in the minority but I would totally do it. You've already stated yourself that against their quick water weight losses, you will not lose as much. If you want to win then go for it. Do you remember the contestant on the Biggest Loser that drank like 20 gallons of water on his free pass week? Didn't he go on to win the whole thing?

Month or so ago i lost 6lbs in 7days by INCREASING sodium, LOL, maybe it will have the same affect on me this time? which will suck since im trying to "gain". haha. And when i went back to normal sodium amounts of being under 2k mg, i still continued losing.

Ive never watched biggest loser, so no idea what constestants have done or not.

Im not trying to cheat, just trying to be fair; and all of them will have unfair advantage of water weight.

I might win the over all goal, of losing more than anyone else in a year, or might be the only one who keeps my weight off in the end, but being happy as a skinny person doesnt pay the bills; as I already stated Im wearing broken bras, and clothes that are literally falling off of me, because i cant afford to replace them until next year.. the current bra that im wearing is a 46DDD. Im a 44H... Itd be nice to beable to get some right sizes for my bras, but this one was all i could afford, $10 on clearance at wal-mart and doesnt give me the support i want and kills my back and shoulders. my size 28 pants look great on me now that im size 22, NOT... and all these people will instantly go down up to 10pounds, where slow and steady might win the race, except this group of people has been looking to form an excercise group for the entire spring and wanting to loose weight for a long time, and most are unemployed and can afford gym memberships or diet supplements/aids, and have all the time in the world to go on walks, to the gym, or be active.
  • grimnir
    grimnir Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting on the scales more than a little full of it for a minor competitive advantage. Also, I've seen several people mention spending a week eating maintenance every 3-4 months to keep their body from adjusting too much to the reduced calories, and you said your weight loss was slowing down, so I think it's probably a good idea regardless. High sodium for a week? Not gonna kill you, and it might help get you a nice fat check at the end. I'm already planning on taking a week at maintenance when I visit my parents this summer, 3 months into the diet, as sort of a halfway point, assuming things keep going well between now and then. It's a reasonable fear that you won't pick it back up afterwards, but I think you've got what it takes to not let a week slow you down.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    doesn't it make more sense just to drink a few glasse of water before you weigh in instead of messing around with your current diet?
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    doesn't it make more sense just to drink a few glasse of water before you weigh in instead of messing around with your current diet?

It does to me! That's what people on the actual Biggest Loser do too iirc.
  • annacataldo
    Options

It does to me! That's what people on the actual Biggest Loser do too iirc.

As ive already stated; i will have drank 20 cups of water by the time i weigh in; since we meet after dinner. And every time we weigh in i will have already had 20cups of water and all my meals for the day... so just drinking water will not give me any more of an advantage because the next weigh in i will have already drank the same amount... ive thought about it too; if i drink 5-10 cups right before i get on the scale, yea it will increase my weight drastically, instantly, BUT, then I have to go through a 1-2hour meeting, and cant be running to the bathroom every 5-15 minutes!!
  • annacataldo
    Options
    ive also thought of putting lead weights in my bra and pockets, etc, but that is flat out cheating, and want to know ive won based on actually losing the weight, as opposed to a bunch of metal in my pocket...even if i force myself to go up in water weight, i will still feel accomplished when i win cuz i legidimetly gained the weight and legidimetly lost the weight and i wouldnt have made myself gain weight just to weigh heavier so i can loose more; its just so i have water weight to loose to bring myself at the same playing field as everyone else.