Intermittent Fasting/One Meal a Day

Options
13»

Replies

• cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've played around with IF and I found a very modified version that works for me. On weekdays I eat a small lunch at work (200-300 calories) and have a normal dinner and then I eat pretty much whatever I want on the weekends. It's been a slower process, I've been losing a little under a pound a week, but it fits in my lifestyle really well and has been pretty easy to keep up.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've done Eat Stop Eat in the past a couple of years ago. It was effective for me. For health reasons over the last 18 months I've had a gain. I've done both 20:4 and 16:8 but as with the others above I split my feeds down into several meals. I didn't die of hunger, hit the starvation mode (myth complete myth) myth, kill anyone in sugar crash rages. Yes I am reconsidering doing it again but am checking with my Dr as I am on a lot of medication some you need to eat with.

I had a lecturer at uni that did a complete fast on Fridays...you'd never know.

I would suggest you do some full research and perhaps buy a book or two on ESE and the 5/2 as you may find one suits your lifestyle more than others.

I wish you luck and have a read through the groups there are so many about this subject and in general everyone I came across was helpful.

I'm doing my first fast tomorrow into Friday (aiming for a 20:4 but possibly a 16:8 if it's too tough) after seeing the Dr
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »

I would counter by asking, "How is intermittent fasting healthy for your body?"

By not eating your body slows the metabolism down to protect energy for organ processes. Your higher brain functions need good carbs to properly operate,

Two comments

1) Google ketones to dispel the myth of the brain 'needing' sugar ... er, carbs, to function. The brain loves fat too. (I honestly would be brain dead if your statement was true)

2) Try to apply your reasoning to the lifestyle of our ancestors, keep in mind their lack of fresh bread and fruit juice year round, and their need to hunt. Could humans have survived if what you suggested was actually true?

• Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    biodigit wrote: »
    IF is nothing but a method to schedule your meals as one or two big meals. It wouldn't miraculously help you lose weight. All it is to fit your meals at the most convenient times. For some people it assists with hunger by having large meals. To lose weight, what matters is calorie deficit. I did it for 6 months and I didn't magically lose fat by adhering to IF. I lost weight because I was in calorie deficit. So if you're someone who's strapped for time and would like to have larger meals at certain time of the day, then IF is for you - otherwise it's not necessary.

That's exactly what I am in it for. I understand that it doesn't speed up the process. I am doing it because it works well with my schedule and the times I like to eat. I actually enjoy my food now. At work, I have a working lunch so I usually just scarfed down a meal and didn't enjoy it. Same with breakfast. At home, I can relax, take my time and enjoy my dinner. It is wonderful.
  • santran773
    santran773 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Be_Lively wrote: »
    I haven't quite started this plan yet but I am going to tomorrow. I would like some friends who are doing this, preferably with an open diary so I can see what your one meal is like. If you want to be my friend because you're interested in seeing how this works for me, then shoot me a request!

I am also open to hearing feedback and experiences on the one meal a day plan on here. Please share!

Thanks!

Yoooo IF buddies! Lol. I also do IF. And I actually started before I made a MFP so counting my day 1 til today I've actually lost 17 lbs. Accept my requests :) I'd like to be of help.
  • Be_Lively
    Options
    santran773 wrote: »
    Be_Lively wrote: »
    I haven't quite started this plan yet but I am going to tomorrow. I would like some friends who are doing this, preferably with an open diary so I can see what your one meal is like. If you want to be my friend because you're interested in seeing how this works for me, then shoot me a request!

I am also open to hearing feedback and experiences on the one meal a day plan on here. Please share!

Thanks!

Yoooo IF buddies! Lol. I also do IF. And I actually started before I made a MFP so counting my day 1 til today I've actually lost 17 lbs. Accept my requests :) I'd like to be of help.

I did..thank you!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Fasting is bad, for health's sake don't do it. Fasting is always unhealthy to the body's natural processes. If you disagree, try talking to a doctor or registered nutritionist, then get your head straight.

Fasting is perfectly natural, it's only in recent years that it's become a bit of a dirty word. But for most of history people have survived on fasting and feasting because food would be available in abundance and then very scarce for extended periods of time. It's a lack of water that causes real problems.
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started eating 1 meal of day this past Friday, so tonight was my third big dinner... Eating between 1300-1700 calories. I've heard great things too...
    Let's see what happens.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do IF sometimes during the weekdays since I only have time to cook for myself during certain times of day. I think the fact that the word "fasting" really uglys up the idea as many cultures practice different eating times and many of the times people unknowingly do IF anyway. It's just the period of time attached to it. When you can cook for yourself and eat healthily without over eating and over stuffing yourself, do it :)
  • treeedoggg
    treeedoggg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF since january and have lost 25 lbs. As a biologist, I was concerned with its health implications. While it does need more study for longterm effects, animal and recent human studies suggest many benefits. It was actually a topic this week on a radio show hosted by NYU medical school doctors on sirius satellite radio. They talked about the 5 and 2 mostly.
    I happen to do the 20:4 window and for me it's easy.
    I also lift in the gym 5 days a week and haven't felt anything short of great since starting.
    Working in biotech, my job is pretty mentally taxing each day, so I can attest to it not lowering mental focus. The norepinephrine increase from fasting, as well as the black coffee I drink everyday to suppress appetite are sure to help.

Feel free to add me if you would like. :) I read about this stuff daily as I have free access to all the latest literature through my work.
  • dmundz
    dmundz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you wouldn't be more interested in doing this a 6-8 hour window for eating so you can get in at least two separate meals? One giant meal that has all your daily calories and macros seems like it would be rough. And a huge meal to force yourself to eat at once. Assuming get these are clean calories you are going to eat.....
  • Be_Lively
    Options
    dmundz wrote: »
    Are you sure you wouldn't be more interested in doing this a 6-8 hour window for eating so you can get in at least two separate meals? One giant meal that has all your daily calories and macros seems like it would be rough. And a huge meal to force yourself to eat at once. Assuming get these are clean calories you are going to eat.....

I pretty much am doing what caters to me best. Wednesday and Friday, I broke fast around 3 to eat with coworkers at a meeting, ate again later that evening, no later than 9. So that was technically a 6 hour window. My work schedule varies daily, so that effects when my eating window will be, and how long or short it will be. Thursday, I broke fast around 5 and had a snack. Ate a LOT for dinner that was very low in calories. Monday and Tuesday, I had just one large meal, but ate half at one sitting, the other half a bit later.

As you can see here, I take it day by day, to see what works best for me that day.
  • Be_Lively
    Options
    So far so good! Today marks my 18th day since starting IF. I was at 257 then, and this morning I weighed in at 246.4! My overall SW on March 6 was 270 so I am ecstatic!
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    that's awesome!! seems like you found something that is working for you and you are enjoying it as well. I think you should definitely keep at it.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I would love to follow your progress. I'm sending you a friend request xx
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Starting my third week of one meal a day, and although I actually haven't weighed myself, I've been able to fit in an old pair of jeans and my clothes are fitting looser... (Was wearing a dress size 18, and I can now comfortably fit in a 16?!). Also My face looks different- less pudgy and I'm overall less bloated. I feel great, my back no longer hurts, and I have tons of energy during the day and love the fact that I can eat a big dinner with my husband and actually enjoy myself! I can Even have a beer once in a while- without guilt! We are thinking of making this our lifestyle... :)
  • Be_Lively
    Options
    Starting my third week of one meal a day, and although I actually haven't weighed myself, I've been able to fit in an old pair of jeans and my clothes are fitting looser... (Was wearing a dress size 18, and I can now comfortably fit in a 16?!). Also My face looks different- less pudgy and I'm overall less bloated. I feel great, my back no longer hurts, and I have tons of energy during the day and love the fact that I can eat a big dinner with my husband and actually enjoy myself! I can Even have a beer once in a while- without guilt! We are thinking of making this our lifestyle... :)

Glad you're enjoying it! Its great to find something that actually works for yourself so well that you could make it your lifestyle. And its amazing how you are already noticing significant changes to your body! Keep it up!