Healthiest Diet EVER??...

Options
2»

Replies

• luzbel9989
    luzbel9989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would imagine eating "clean" would be the healthiest...also the easiest since it's just limiting the processed junk. No counting or starving.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    luzbel9989 wrote: »
    I would imagine eating "clean" would be the healthiest...also the easiest since it's just limiting the processed junk. No counting or starving.
    Except "eating clean" means something different to every person, there are lots of nutrient dense processed foods that can be a healthy addition to a person's diet, and you can easily gain weight eating whole foods just as you can eating foods which are processed...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I lost about 30 lbs which is the number you mentioned, and I've kept it off for 2 years so far. I never followed any particular "diet". I set a reasonable calorie goal for myself, tried to eat a variety of nutrient dense foods but didn't restrict anything in particular, and started exercising more.

I think unless you have a medical reason to restrict a certain type of food (LCHF) or an ethical reason (vegetarian) then as others have said, the best diet is the one you can do for the rest of your life. Why do you have to follow any particular way of eating at all?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    The healthiest diet? Variables to consider: can you mentally handle it? Do you WANT to eat this way the REST OF YOU LIFE? Does what you eat optimally meet your specific macro/micro nutrient profile? Does your body function normally on this diet? Can you afford it?
    I believe answering those questions will lead anyone to the diet that's HEALTHIEST for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, the healthiest diet ever has been a very low carb high fat ketogenic diet. (Primal basically.) I was prediabetic and had reactive hypoglycemia, plus some autoimmune issues that have been helped by eating this way. I also found it quite easy to lose weight compared to when I just cut calories. It will be pretty easy to follow this for life because it has helped me so much, and because I like the food.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Courtwag25 wrote: »
    And by sugar I mean added sugar/processed sugar/bad for u sugar in general. I know ultimately it's all calories in vs calories out but I do personally believe a more natural whole foods diet works best for my overall body type instead of eating whatever I want as long as it fits my calories

I think for health, a diet that's nutrient dense and plant based with minimal animal products, is the healthiest to avoid chronic diseases common in the west. It should also feature mostly whole, unprocessed foods. That's what I eat but, I do however allow a bit of junk food, like ice cream and chocolate once a week, for sanity, which is part of my mental health care :) .

As for added sugar, if it jacks up your skin as you said, it's not healthy for you. For me, cane sugar in the form of raw/turbinado/unbleached sugar is part of my healthy diet. I add it to smoothies, oatmeal, fresh juices, fruit salad, pancakes etc, which are all healthy foods but I wouldn't eat as much without added sugar. So adding sugar makes me eat healthier. I've lost weight, now maintaining 118 lbs, while eating as much as 2-4 lbs of sugar per month. The rest of my diet is high in whole, unprocessed carbs like grains, legumes, fruits, potatoes etc and my last fasting blood glucose test was 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99) so, no diabetes for me!

As for fat, I keep fat as low as 10% because when I was a eating a higher fat, paleo diet, my cholesterol went through the roof. I cut down on fat and it went back to normal. So the healthiest diet should result in healthy labs and should be tailored to the individual because we all react to different diets in different ways.
  • dac097
    dac097 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would also have to say the healthiest diet would vary depending on the person but since you seem to be wanting details of what works for various individuals I will tell you what seems to work for me. I have found its not healthy for me to eat very low carb or very low fat. I also find its important for me to eat protein with each meal if possible. I don't follow any specific diet but have several guidelines that I believe are important for my health such as: eating real food as opposed to processed food, eating lots of vegetables and at least one fruit a day, eating at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber daily and limiting my carbs to 40% or less of total calories. I aim for 30% calories from protein and 30% fat but I really don't worry about the total fat grams going over as long as I'm within my calorie limit because I eat healthy fats. I also try to make sure most of my carbs come from "non-starchy" carbs like fruit, vegetables and legumes. I try to have a "starchy" carb at only one or two meals or snacks a day so if I have oatmeal for breakfast I will have a big salad with grilled chicken for lunch for example.
  • amazonqueen29
    amazonqueen29 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just eat low carb smaller meals 6 times a day. A lot of research has backed up the fact that eating 6 times a day helps boost metabolism. I've also found that eating less sugar has taken away a lot of my cravings for desserts which is so easy to over indulge in!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The human body is amazingly flexible in terms of diet, and the more I see, the more I find the biggest issue is whatever diet can keep you from eating more calories than you need that at the same time allows for a variety of foods that provide many different nutrients.

This.

Sources that I find useful, given this, are books about blue zones (there are a variety of healthy diets), the Harvard nutrition site: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/, and David Katz's diet project: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/ (see also http://bigthink.com/videos/david-katz-on-what-we-know-about-diet)

I know there's lots of nonsense about cutting carbs vs. cutting fat vs. cutting protein, but all that seems beside the point to me. What a basic healthy diet is involves none of the above, and I see no reason they would be necessary for a normal, healthy person. If anything the stress of worrying about it seems counterproductive and creating a diet hard to sustain seems a bad idea.

I don't think there's one healthiest diets. There are lots of healthy diets.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Courtwag25 wrote: »
    And sugar and dairy are bad FOR ME they make my skin terrible and I gain weight when I eat them and lose weight when I don't but I love them both lol

You gain weight from excess calories, not certain foods.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    How I define a healthy diet (not specialized for a certain condition or allergy):
    - Plenty of vegetables (and fruits if you like), especially leafy greens, for the fiber and the tasty flavonoids
    - Plenty of fermented foods like yogurt and such for a nice balance in the gut

- Plenty of fatty fish for a nice dose of omega-3, or plant sources if you don't like fish.
    - Plenty of protein to support the muscles
    - Plenty of beans and whole grains (in my case because I really like them) to round out any missing essential nutrients and protein. If you don't like them, you could go for organ meats and more vegetables.
    - Enough fat to support hormones
    - Less charred meat, burnt oil and trans fats when possible.
    - Reasonable portions of the things you like, even if they are nutrient poor or high in calories, every now and then to reduce stress and support mental and emotional health (which has been associated with longevity)
    - A healthy social life, sharing food (even if not very nutrient rich) and other activities with friends and family (associated with longevity)
    - Enjoying life without stressing too much about the nutritional content of food. If your diet is overall healthy, the few slices of cake or cookies you eat every now and then will not make that much of a difference in your health, but stress will.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    How I define a healthy diet (not specialized for a certain condition or allergy):
    - Plenty of vegetables (and fruits if you like), especially leafy greens, for the fiber and the tasty flavonoids
    - Plenty of fermented foods like yogurt and such for a nice balance in the gut

- Plenty of fatty fish for a nice dose of omega-3, or plant sources if you don't like fish.
    - Plenty of protein to support the muscles
    - Plenty of beans and whole grains (in my case because I really like them) to round out any missing essential nutrients and protein. If you don't like them, you could go for organ meats and more vegetables.
    - Enough fat to support hormones
    - Less charred meat, burnt oil and trans fats when possible.
    - Reasonable portions of the things you like, even if they are nutrient poor or high in calories, every now and then to reduce stress and support mental and emotional health (which has been associated with longevity)
    - A healthy social life, sharing food (even if not very nutrient rich) and other activities with friends and family (associated with longevity)
    - Enjoying life without stressing too much about the nutritional content of food. If your diet is overall healthy, the few slices of cake or cookies you eat every now and then will not make that much of a difference in your health, but stress will.
    Exactly.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    The diet you can do for the rest of your life.

This.