Frozen fish

Options
2»

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I make my straight out of the freezer and the texture is just as nice as any fine dining restaurant I have been to. I just put it on a griddle with spices on slightly lower heat than normal to begin with (mostly salmon and tilapia).
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Canned Seafood in Water or Olive Oil are GREAT choices and easy to slip into your diet! Mix them with avocado or sun-dried tomatoes pack in olive oil. SO GOOD! Forget the mayo - think outside of the box! :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I love getting the wild frozen tuna, halibut, and salmon from Costco. I cooked it in a pot with water, garlic, and a little salt at the lowest heat until fully cooked and tender, then I flake it into a container and keep it in the fridge to eat for a few days. I mix it with avocado, mustard, and sometimes a little raw sauerkraut or pickles (either one for the probiotics). It's so much nicer than canned fish.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I make my straight out of the freezer and the texture is just as nice as any fine dining restaurant I have been to. I just put it on a griddle with spices on slightly lower heat than normal to begin with (mostly salmon and tilapia).

I think she's baking it from frozen which would come out slightly different than a griddle :) I try to thaw mine no matter what I'm doing but I don't worry too much about it if it's still a bit hard.

I like fish because it's so nice and flaky that it's easy to tell when it's done!
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love salmon, but find the smell of it cooking puts me off... unless I poach it. Defrost first, make sure you season the water you are using to poach it (usually I use lemon, onion and garlic) Then I will put together a "sauce" based in greek yogurt. So much protien and so yummy.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i like salmon, tuna or basa but i always defrost it overnight in the fridge. i pan fry it dry with a sqeeze of lemon , usualy it goes watery but after a couple of mins it drys up again .
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I buy the flash frozen varieties at Costco all of the time! Even some of the pre-seasoned ones are not too bad calorie wise (the pesto tilapia is awesome!). I will typically follow the cooking directions on the bag...add some lemon, salt and pepper and enjoy! It is also good with Teriyaki sauce (small amount) if you have the calories to spare for it. Tonight we had salmon, my husband made a marinade with soy sauce, Dijon mustard and garlic. Then he bbq'd it. It was good!

+ another on Costco. I buy the frozen bags of Salmon, Cod and Mahi Mahi. The filets of fish are individually vacuum sealed so you can easily take just what you need from the bag.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My local costco doesnt have the tuna steaks anymore :( they were my fave cooked with lemon juice and lemon pepper. Mmm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are the "fresh" kind was probably frozen and then thawed anyway. Wild-caught salmon is going to be flash frozen before it's shipped to the store that sells it.

I get lots of frozen fish and just thaw it in my refrigerator before cooking it, and it doesn't affect how I cook it or how tasty it is.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I use a steamer that cooks rice in the bottom part and a basket on top where I put a frozen cod or salmon fillet and some veggies. The fish always comes out perfect. Try steaming. It will come out great.

I'm going to have to try that too. Thank you for sharing.

I want to try this. Where is a good place to find a steamer like this?

• MissMonicaC4
    Options
    joobey wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I use a steamer that cooks rice in the bottom part and a basket on top where I put a frozen cod or salmon fillet and some veggies. The fish always comes out perfect. Try steaming. It will come out great.

I'm going to have to try that too. Thank you for sharing.

I want to try this. Where is a good place to find a steamer like this?

Walmart
  • MissMonicaC4
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I made some basa in the oven tonight...well seasoned..375 10 mins each side. Yum. I put garlic..salt..paprila then lime and vinegar.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a freezer full of grouper and snapper (mangrove and hog) I caught this year in Florida. I am a huge cheat. I let it defrost and microwave it. It gets light and fluffy. I brush a tiny bit of butter on.... or olive oil... and that is it. Looks really impressive next to a steamed veg medley.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think defrosting first could help and patting any moisture off. Ive just been tossing it in the oven and letting it go. Ill add spices of course but yah haha fish is not my specialty. I will try this week though.

I think the cooking from frozen is what is making it watery, I would recommend thawing before cooking.

I buy frozen tilapia and salmon from Sam's/Costco. I usually move a filet or two to the refrigerator before work in the morning, so it's thawed by the time I get home to make dinner. Tilapia is very good when baked with a little bit of Old Bay seasoning and lemon over the top. Salmon baked or grill pan cooked with a little garlic butter is fantastic.