getting sick every time i drink?

Options
So i was wondering if anyone would have an answer to this, i suppose i should ask my doctor but i wanted to see if anyone on here has the same problem or could have any explanations on why this happens. If you are going to say "don't drink" or "you don't have to get drunk" please don't, i rarely drink as it is and once in a great while i would just like to enjoy myself and get drunk with my friends. I used to be able to drink and get drunk and barely have a hangover the next day. I went through a phase (i'm wondering if this is what messed me up for life) where all i would do was drink shots of 151 because i hated the taste of alcohol and just wanted to get by by drinking as little as i could but still get really drunk. I would get really drunk but then the next day i would feel terrible..like basic hangover symptoms but i would throw up pretty much all day the next day til like 10 pm at night. I couldn't put anything in my stomach and would feel miserable all day, totally worthless, throwing up even after i didn't have anything to throw up besides stomach acid. I've tried eating something before drinking, drinking water in between drinks, drinking just beer, drinking not as harsh liquor, hangover cure pills..nothing has worked. Recently, i've actually been throwing up the night that i drink and maybe once in the morning, it's better but still sucks. Someone told me i could have a ulcer i think it was? I have no other stomach problems besides occasional heartburn. maybe my stomach just can't handle it anymore. does anyone else have this problem or know anyone that does..or know a reason why this might be happening? thanks in advance!

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and i found out i had gallstones/pankriatits.....you may have that, an ulcer or even gastritis....go to the doctor and get checked out
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    not to go extreme on ya...

but a sudden lack of alcohol tolerance can mean liver problems.... :(

that's not necessarily it, of course - the acidity of your tummy-juices (yum) might just have altered due to diet, or just life! I know that certain types of alcohol give me different types of symptoms.

liquor = nausea
    wine = headache
    beer = diarrhea

but that's just me. if you're not into the whole asking-the-Doc-thing, try DIFFERENT types of alcohol??

TMI maybe but oh well :D
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Body screaming.... quit poisioning me..........................
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Every day and every year a night of drinking affects me more and more and more. I just can't party like it's 1999 any more...(not that I partied in 1999, I was 14 then...)

Semi-sad joking aside, I have never had issues quite as extreme as yours sound on a regular basis. it might be worth getting some tests if it has been going on long enough.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    lower tolerance as you've lost weight, drink less, & as we age ♥ switch to something you like the taste of & stop once you're drunk so you don't get sick.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I use to drink every weekend in high school and had no problems, now i get sick on a mikes hard. I figured it was all the sugar and the fact eat so little of it now. All types of alcohol has sugar in it and it might be the spikes in blood sugar? Or your tolerance has lowered.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you put "SW", which in my world translates to "surgery weight". Are you post-op for weight loss surgery? I also noticed that you're only down about 20 lbs which indicates you're a recent post-op.

The extreme weight-loss phase that occurs immediately after weight loss surgery is EXTREMELY hard on your liver. There are a lot of toxins that are coming out of your cells during the weight loss, it has to process the fat that is being released, and generally is very very overworked. Drinking during the initial weight loss period is NOT recommended. Most bariatric surgeons recommend that you wait at least a year post-surgery to start consuming alcohol.

"If you are going to say "don't drink" or "you don't have to get drunk" please don't,"

Why? Are you not capable of going 6 months or a year without it? If so, you have a drinking problem - even if you don't drink "very often". You had surgery for your health. Are you or are you not committed to doing everything possible to being successful and HEALTHY?

I'm 6 yrs post-op from the DS, a form of weight loss surgery, so I'm familiar with life post-op. It's not forever. It's for the rapid weight loss phase. When your weight stabilizes, your liver will no longer be overworked and will be able to handle alcohol again.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I noticed that you put "SW", which in my world translates to "surgery weight".

A lot of people use SW as "Starting Weight"
  • gfys15
    gfys15 Posts: 1
    Options
    Kinda hard to nail down exactly why alcohol affects us the way it does at certain points in life. However, there are a lot of things that can influence your tolerance and your body's reaction to it. So far, the replies you've gotten have been kinda scary and illustrated some extreme cases. From an ex-alcoholic and someone who is now on the path to recovery and the weight loss that goes with it, here are the things to think about when considering your issue.

First is that, let's just face it, you prefer hard liquor to weaker forms of drinking. On top of that, you're shooting 151. That isn't something to take lightly. Many people claim that they never get hangovers when they first start drinking, but as we continue drinking over time our bodies have to deal with more and more damage. So while you may have handled shots of 151 in the past like a champ, realize that doing that for however long you've been doing it has taken its toll. Your stomach's protective linings could be weaker now. Not that you have an ulcer. You'd feel that for more than just drinking if you did.

Also consider frequency of drinking. If you do like you said and only drink once and a while now, your tolerance is going to be less than it was when you were drinking more often. Tolerance can come and go. I know mine has been reduced dramatically in just weeks. I went from being able to down a 5th of vodka with no problems, puking, or anything to being plenty good with only 3 mixed drinks.

On looking at your post once more, I do see that you say this happens to you no matter what you drink. In that case, when you're drinking something like say beer instead of a hard liquor, you may be drinking more of it than you realize. Things like beer are also heavily carbonated which can really mess with your stomach. Aaand...I know this is long...if you're dieting and/or losing weight, remember that alcohol will generally affect you more the less you weigh, specific levels of tolerance aside.

Hope this has been somewhat insightful. In general though, alcohol does tend to affect people differently as they age and as their health changes. So don't freak out too much about it. Just be intelligent about how far you go with it.
  • MarykNiemiec
    MarykNiemiec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's called a hangover. If you drink, try only to have a few. If you get smashed, then you will get a bad hangover. Pop an ibuprofen and eat egg whites.
  • tropicalicyicy
    tropicalicyicy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I have taken it all into consideration. I will probably go to the doctor to get it checked out, just to make sure it's nothing serious.

I have not had any surgery, SW is my "Starting Weight".

It's actually been a little over a year since i've been "drunk". I used to drink a lot but after i started getting sick, whenever my friends would drink i would just have a little if any at all, and be fine. I can pass up alcohol anytime and don't need it to have fun. I am in no way an alcoholic. I would like to get drunk tonight though-no work or activities tomorrow, i've lost weight, and i deserve to have a little fun..whether it be getting drunk once a year or doing something else i enjoy.
  • bsteede48
    bsteede48 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had this problem...I just chalked it up to my body was not liking what I was putting in it as I was getting older and "partying" so I stopped. Good luck!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ah, good to know. Thank you for broadening my horizons. :)
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! In college I could drink all day and all night, and I would feel fine the next day. Fast forward 5 years later.....and if I have more than 1 hard liquor drink or shot, I puke that evening. I rarely drink liquor anymore, so I figure that my tolerance is just super low. Beer and wine don't make me sick though....I can put down a bottle of white wine and feel just fine the next morning :)
  • hcampbell10
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Not even a month ago I was able to take straight shots with a chaser and the past 2 weeks every sip of alcohol I have had I felt like I could puke and not get drunk. I might have burnt myself out on alcohol by taking shots but it is very annoying haha.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    but that's just me. if you're not into the whole asking-the-Doc-thing, try DIFFERENT types of alcohol??

Yep me too - my body responds differently to different alcohol sources.

Wine will give me a bad head and make me sick before I get drunk so I always limit it to a glass or two. On the other hand I can drink spirits all night and wake up not feeling too bad.

Also, how much I've eaten during the day will affect how much alcohol affects me and how I feel the next day. Have you noticed a difference since eating at a deficit? If so try eating a bit more the day prior to drinking.
  • Gewatson84
    Gewatson84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hangovers are worse now thanks to meds. What I found helps a little is drink Gatorade instead of water before going to bed (water usually tastes awful once I'm drunk any way) and I mean, like 20+ ounces of it. I also found milk (if you can stomach it) the morning after helps, it has sugars, proteins and electrolytes (it's basically protein enhanced modified sweat, so, think cow made sport drink) also, the milk soothes my stomach. When it's really bad a couple of Pepto tablets or the liquid (the chewables don't agree with me for some reason) and sloowly re-introducing foods starting with simple whole ones like eggs scrambled with vegetables, toast, and milk stay down easier. Alchohol messes with your blood sugar and electrolyte balances, so the key is to survive the hangover while acheiving better balance. Depending on how much I enjoyed the night this can take a whole day or even into the next day.
    Remember, you've punished your body, it needs a little TLC and time! Happy Partying!:drinker:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I use to drink every weekend in high school and had no problems, now i get sick on a mikes hard. I figured it was all the sugar and the fact eat so little of it now. All types of alcohol has sugar in it and it might be the spikes in blood sugar? Or your tolerance has lowered.

I find that Mike's make me sick because it's so acidic.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You need to get yourself checked out by a doctor. Those are some pretty severe reactions you are having.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ever heard about alcohol poisoning? Why do it to yourself anyways? Oh wait - I'm not suppose to ask....