How to SPEED UP weightloss

Options

Replies

• creativecritters77
    creativecritters77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Be patient with yourself and congratulate yourself on how far you've come in just a short time. We tend to be so hard on ourselves, even when we're heading in the right direction and doing the right things to meet our goals. TV is BS! LOL Those shows aren't real (yes those people may have lost all that weight that fast, but they had 24/7 professional support, trainers, dietitians, etc. and you have no idea whether they were able to maintain their weight loss years down the road). Your goal is to lose the weight healthfully and keep it off, right? So you just keep doing what you're doing, because it's working!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    "Comparison is the thief of joy". ~Theodore Roosevelt.

You're losing at a healthy, sustainable rate. Isn't that the whole point?
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good pace so would just leave it. But if you insist then dropping your calories or doing more cardio would help.
  • alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mate, 38lbs in 3 months is fantastic!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having above average or high expectations. So if you want to do even better than you're doing, and you have the calories and energy to do so, then you could add some extra cardio workouts, increase either intensity or duration or both.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - it's frustrating when u see no real noticeable loss on your body, even when u see it on the scale. I've lost 17.8lbs since January and it's barely noticeable. Yes my clothes fit better and I can wear some tops I had to stop wearing, but overall, I don't look much different. My DH, who has always been at a healthy weight, lost 10 lbs due to health issues + a different diet and everyone keeps talking about how skinny he is getting. I was just commenting about it tonight lol.

That all said, I will repeat what everyone said. Slow and steady has been proven to give u the highest chance of keeping the weight off for good.

And remember, u might have dropped at a pace of 3lbs a week in the first few months, but as u start losing more, it's healthier to slow down to losing 2 lbs a week. Closer to ideal, most ppl say 0.5 - 1 lb a week is best.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    How long did you weigh 246 lbs? Longer than 3 months?
    Well there you go
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    yeah, I think those shows (although I watch them constantly!) give us all unrealistic weight loss expectations! You see people on TV lose 10-20 lbs in one week....how can that possibly be healthy? Read the boards here and see what others do. If I lose .5 in one week I'm lucky! My husband can eat twice as much as me and lose 3 lbs in a week. Life isn't fair...but we move on and be thankful for what we do have!

It's very unhealthy. The first "biggest loser" ended up hospitalized after the show, urinating blood, as a result of kidney damage from the rapid weight loss. Contestants have lost hair and their periods, some have been hospitalized, it's all in all extremely unhealthy.

And with a lot of contestants, they have to be losing significant muscle mass, particularly near the end of the season when they are significantly lighter. Muscle is less calorie dense than fat, so the more of your calorie deficit comes from breakdown of muscle tissue, the more the scale moves. Rather than 3500 calories/lb, muscle tissue can be broken down to yield only around 600 calories/lb, so the same deficit leads to almost six times the drop in weight if you're losing pure muscle instead of pure fat. Of course nobody loses purely one or purely the other, but the higher the ratio of muscle loss to fat loss, the quicker the scale will change.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    38 lbs is like all I've lost since June. :o There's no hurry.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You're striving after the wrong TV show. Start watching "Naked and Afraid". Those people lose 20 and 30 pounds in 21 days. All you have to do is stay awake all night shivering in 40 degree weather scratching bug bites. Then only eat a snake or a couple of grubs for those three weeks. Totally simple. That's reality TV for ya!
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your response :#
  • crack0825
    crack0825 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WOW 38LBS IN 3 MONTHS THATS LIKE 17KGS MAN. ITS FAST
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3lbs since Jan 1st. Thats a quarter of a pound a week. But I know it's mostly fat.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having above average or high expectations. So if you want to do even better than you're doing, and you have the calories and energy to do so, then you could add some extra cardio workouts, increase either intensity or duration or both.

You are recommending losing more than 3lbs a week. That will eat into muscle. Why is that 'better'?
    oh yes, I remember you, you can magic muscle out of thin air so you don't value it like us mere mortals.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    suruda wrote: »
    yeah, I think those shows (although I watch them constantly!) give us all unrealistic weight loss expectations! You see people on TV lose 10-20 lbs in one week....how can that possibly be healthy? Read the boards here and see what others do. If I lose .5 in one week I'm lucky! My husband can eat twice as much as me and lose 3 lbs in a week. Life isn't fair...but we move on and be thankful for what we do have!

It's very unhealthy. The first "biggest loser" ended up hospitalized after the show, urinating blood, as a result of kidney damage from the rapid weight loss. Contestants have lost hair and their periods, some have been hospitalized, it's all in all extremely unhealthy.

And with a lot of contestants, they have to be losing significant muscle mass, particularly near the end of the season when they are significantly lighter. Muscle is less calorie dense than fat, so the more of your calorie deficit comes from breakdown of muscle tissue, the more the scale moves. Rather than 3500 calories/lb, muscle tissue can be broken down to yield only around 600 calories/lb, so the same deficit leads to almost six times the drop in weight if you're losing pure muscle instead of pure fat. Of course nobody loses purely one or purely the other, but the higher the ratio of muscle loss to fat loss, the quicker the scale will change.

Holy crap! That makes that hard earned muscle even more valuable than gold.

Linky pretty please?
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    crack0825 wrote: »

Thanks but I really wanted to lose a stone each month and came four pounds short this month so feeling very crap :/
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    3 months and 38 lbs is A LOT of weight loss in a very short amount of time! That is a great achievement, but honestly losing anymore any faster could be damaging to your health! Keep doing what you are doing, because its working perfectly the way it is!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    crack0825 wrote: »

Thanks but I really wanted to lose a stone each month and came four pounds short this month so feeling very crap :/

Wait? So you were disappointed with a 10lb monthly loss? SMH.

Seriously, you need to take a step back and look at what you've achieved.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

You are recommending losing more than 3lbs a week. That will eat into muscle. Why is that 'better'?
    oh yes, I remember you, you can magic muscle out of thin air so you don't value it like us mere mortals.

The fatter someone is, the less they need to worry about muscle loss, especially if they're getting at least some form of exercise. The people who need to worry about losing muscle are people who are already ultra lean and ripped with very low body fat. The overweight and obese, not so much.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hi all my weight loss is really slow! And I know it's not a race but I have heard and seen many success stories of people losing weight faster than me even though their starting weight was similar to mine. (246lbs) it's been 3 months now and all I've lost is 38lbs.what should I do to speed up this weightloss ?!? Please help!!!!

That's all?!?!

Great Job!!!!