Weight lifting & weight loss

Options
Motivation needed please! A bit of back story - been on calorie controlled diets on and off (mostly on!) for the past 15 years. Im short & I put weight on VERY easily. I have only ever paid attention to the scales and I feel "happy" at 8.7 - 8.10 although over the years I have always had the issue of being "skinny fat" at the weight. I recently crept upto 9st and so decided another health kick was in order but this time I'm trying weight lifting (doing squats, deadlifts, trx pull ups, etc 3 times a week) combined with a high protein (80g a day) diet, albeit still low calorie at 1350 a day.

Problem - I'm putting weight on, I'm 9.1 this morning...I know in reality this is nothing but I REALLY struggle with seeing the scales go up when really I still wanted an overall weight loss, or more specifically a fat loss.

I really want to build my strength and stamina as well as building the muscle definition that I have always lacked but seeing weight gain makes me want to give up! I know muscle weighs more than fat etc but I've only been training for 3 weeks?! In terms of cardio - I hate it so I tend to just do a 10 min power walk on incline on the treadmill to warm up before lifting and sometimes a 500m row at the end too.

Words of advice/motivation anyone??

Replies

• crack0825
    crack0825 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    first of all sometimes things like this happens if yours macros or diiet are not proper. if your current plan is not working dont get upset and change the plan and diet eventually u will start losing weight.
    YOU CAN ALSO READ ABOUT A GUY NAME JON CALVO. HIS NUTRTION ADVICE AND INTERMITTEN FASTING ALL THAT STUFF. IT HELP ME ALOT AND BE CONSISTENT.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How long have you been doing the weights?

If less than 4-6 weeks it is fluid retention.

Don't believe the above macros are irrelevant for weight loss.
    If the weights are not that new check your logging or look at sodium intake
  • ema_lou8
    ema_lou8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Just 3 weeks so I knew it couldn't be any sort of muscle gain. My protein intake is ok, carbs are my nemesis and are probably too high. Never thought to look at my sodium intake so will look into that, thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ema_lou8 wrote: »

Just 3 weeks so I knew it couldn't be any sort of muscle gain. My protein intake is ok, carbs are my nemesis and are probably too high. Never thought to look at my sodium intake so will look into that, thanks!

It could be the weights as well. Adding a new exercise will make you retain fluid for muscle repair. Give it another couple weeks.
  • ema_lou8
    Options
    Will do, thank you :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

"carbs too high" in a calorie deficit cannot make you gain weight (long term).
    Give yourself longer to see the effect that changing routine has had. Really at least a month for a woman to see the trend rather than the fluctuations.
  • ema_lou8
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

"carbs too high" in a calorie deficit cannot make you gain weight (long term).
    Give yourself longer to see the effect that changing routine has had. Really at least a month for a woman to see the trend rather than the fluctuations.

Oh ok that's good to know, I've always seen carbs as the enemy and the route of my problems, even when maintaining a calorie deficit. I will continue as I am before I panic then, I'm just so psychologically conditioned to want to see a weight loss! Thank you!
  • elsesvan
    elsesvan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Motivation needed please! A bit of back story - been on calorie controlled diets on and off (mostly on!) for the past 15 years. Im short & I put weight on VERY easily. I have only ever paid attention to the scales and I feel "happy" at 8.7 - 8.10 although over the years I have always had the issue of being "skinny fat" at the weight. I recently crept upto 9st and so decided another health kick was in order but this time I'm trying weight lifting (doing squats, deadlifts, trx pull ups, etc 3 times a week) combined with a high protein (80g a day) diet, albeit still low calorie at 1350 a day.

Problem - I'm putting weight on, I'm 9.1 this morning...I know in reality this is nothing but I REALLY struggle with seeing the scales go up when really I still wanted an overall weight loss, or more specifically a fat loss.

I really want to build my strength and stamina as well as building the muscle definition that I have always lacked but seeing weight gain makes me want to give up! I know muscle weighs more than fat etc but I've only been training for 3 weeks?! In terms of cardio - I hate it so I tend to just do a 10 min power walk on incline on the treadmill to warm up before lifting and sometimes a 500m row at the end too.

Don't give up,you are on the right track :) I'm also short-although I don't know how short you are. I'm 160 cm. I do powerlifting and has been for some time, and was gaining some weight. I didn't focus on the food at that time ;). I decided this had to end so....since about 49 days ago(to be exact) my PT recommended this app mpf- and I'm logging my food very strictly. I eat 1300 kcal a day and I do weights(heavy weights- it is powerlifting I do) Since I started the diet I also row, but I row 5000 meter,not 500m..Started with 2500 after weight-work out. Then after a week I had to (said my PT) row 5000 m twice a week.
    The first week after starting the diet I lost 2 kg -that was a lot, then the next time I had gained 100 grams from last time - but I had NOT cheated myself! I was confident that my body would fix this as long as I just did what I was supposed to do. I continued on as nothing had happend and the next time on the scale I had lost weight again. I'm still getting stronger and today I have all together lost 6 kg. So just keep up what you do,but maaaybe put in longer cardio,like rowing on the end of your weight training-I believe in that ;) Greetings from Norway. Good luck
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Don't panic.

It's very unlikely you have gained any muscle while in deficit. I'm assuming you are METICULOUS with your calories and really are eating the amount you state.

It's highly likely you have gained water weight to repair the muscles from your routine.

Keep going. Measure yourself, keep records, be super patient.

You will find the fat melts off very slowly and you will get definition of the muscles you are keeping by eating adequate protein and lifting weights. Your strength will gain.

Carbs are your friend! They are great for so many things, muscle building, energy, fuelling workouts, feeling happy! They carry water with them in your body, but you are targeting fat loss, not water loss. If you are in deficit they will not make you gain fat.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights, the tape measure is your friend. I've been lifting for almost three months now. I have found that the inches are dropping much more quickly than the pounds. My body shape is changing dramatically and I'm wearing smaller clothes, so I can accept the numbers on the scale much more easily. It takes a bit to wrap your head around not obsessing over the scale.
  • ema_lou8
    Options
    elsesvan wrote: »

Don't give up,you are on the right track :) I'm also short-although I don't know how short you are. I'm 160 cm. I do powerlifting and has been for some time, and was gaining some weight. I didn't focus on the food at that time ;). I decided this had to end so....since about 49 days ago(to be exact) my PT recommended this app mpf- and I'm logging my food very strictly. I eat 1300 kcal a day and I do weights(heavy weights- it is powerlifting I do) Since I started the diet I also row, but I row 5000 meter,not 500m..Started with 2500 after weight-work out. Then after a week I had to (said my PT) row 5000 m twice a week.
    The first week after starting the diet I lost 2 kg -that was a lot, then the next time I had gained 100 grams from last time - but I had NOT cheated myself! I was confident that my body would fix this as long as I just did what I was supposed to do. I continued on as nothing had happend and the next time on the scale I had lost weight again. I'm still getting stronger and today I have all together lost 6 kg. So just keep up what you do,but maaaybe put in longer cardio,like rowing on the end of your weight training-I believe in that ;) Greetings from Norway. Good luck

Wow 5000 meters! That would take me a while to build up to but I do love rowing - it's running that I cannot stand. I can fairly comfortably do 1km so maybe it's time I up my game!

It's reassuring to hear that you're seeing good results - I'm being far too impatient so I need to keep at it. Thanks for your help
  • ema_lou8
    edited April 2016
    Options

Don't panic.

It's very unlikely you have gained any muscle while in deficit. I'm assuming you are METICULOUS with your calories and really are eating the amount you state.

It's highly likely you have gained water weight to repair the muscles from your routine.

Keep going. Measure yourself, keep records, be super patient.

You will find the fat melts off very slowly and you will get definition of the muscles you are keeping by eating adequate protein and lifting weights. Your strength will gain.

Carbs are your friend! They are great for so many things, muscle building, energy, fuelling workouts, feeling happy! They carry water with them in your body, but you are targeting fat loss, not water loss. If you are in deficit they will not make you gain fat.

Hi! Yes I'm very honest with my calories - I've done it for so long now it is second nature. I don't usually use an app to track but I am doing now, just to double check I'm not over/under estimating.

I will stop seeing carbs as the enemy now - it's seems I have quite a few bad dieting habits that I need to get out of. A few people have agreed with what you say about water retention - psychologically it helps to have an explanation for the weight gain, even though we're only talking about 1lb.

Onwards and upwards - regardless of my scales obsession I'm loving seeing myself get stronger! Thanks for your help :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

My scale went up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again last fall, and it did take a few weeks for that water weight to come back off.
  • ema_lou8
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    If you are lifting weights, the tape measure is your friend. I've been lifting for almost three months now. I have found that the inches are dropping much more quickly than the pounds. My body shape is changing dramatically and I'm wearing smaller clothes, so I can accept the numbers on the scale much more easily. It takes a bit to wrap your head around not obsessing over the scale.

You're right - I must start measuring. I'm going to do progress pics once a month too I think. It's good to hear someone is getting good results in terms of body shape, that is definitely my goal.

Yes the number on the scales is so easy to fixate on, It's what I've done for so long but I'm determined to stop now!
  • ema_lou8
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My scale went up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again last fall, and it did take a few weeks for that water weight to come back off.

Ah not just me then! I need more patience, just can't help but panic when I see a weight increase. I will put this down to water weight then and stop stressing so much!