Ketosis diet

Options
I've logged in 50 days in a row, low carbs. Between 20-40 each day. So why Have I only lost 10lbs? most People lose most twice or three times that amount in 2 month. Help

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb so hopefully some that do will come on and talk more about it.

Here's what I do know - for weight loss you need a calorie deficit. Calorie deficit- weight loss. How many calories are you consuming per day ?

10 pounds in 2 months seems reasonable for me for weight loss but everyone will have a different goal depending on how much they have to lose and their calorie deficit.

Do you think low carb or keto will produce a better outcome then just eating at a calorie deficit ? Do you have a medical condition that warrants you to restrict carbs ?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Low carb or not, it comes down to CICO.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 7 weeks is more than a lb a week, that's a great rate of loss. There is no reason to be disappointed in that. Your profile says you have 38 lbs to lose, so 1 lb per week is pretty typical.

And as the other posters said, weight loss comes down to calories. Low carb helps some people eat lower calorie more comfortably, but the calories are the key. What you are doing is working for you, so keep it up! It sounds like the only problem is you need more realistic expectations. Good luck!
  • cristinaengel
    cristinaengel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I eat approximately 1500 calories a day. And exercise about 3times per week.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    what's the ratio of fat you have dropped in those 10 lbs?
  • cristinaengel
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    what's the ratio of fat you have dropped in those 10 lbs?

I'm not sure. I haven't taken my bmi. That's a great idea thanks
  • abadvat
    Options
    BMI will not give you the difference in fat and - as a matter of fact, BMI is an outdated and very unreliable way of measuring body composition - Ditch it!
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It could be that you didn't have as much water weight to lose as a typical person on a ketogenic diet.

I know when I first started keto, I lost 10lbs in a week.
  • cristinaengel
    Options
    BMI will not give you the difference in fat and - as a matter of fact, BMI is an outdated and very unreliable way of measuring body composition - Ditch it!

How do I measure it? Thanks
  • cristinaengel
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »
    It could be that you didn't have as much water weight to lose as a typical person on a ketogenic diet.

I know when I first started keto, I lost 10lbs in a week.

Possible, I have always drank a lot of water. No soda or juice here.
  • aslam79
    aslam79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keto diet, low fat diet are all temporary solutions . its our eating habits.
  • abadvat
    Options

How do I measure it? Thanks

there are different types of tests that will give you your BF% - as varied as the prices can be.
    Can buy a calliper online for a couple of $$ to more sophisticated ones and more expensive.
    If you are member of a gym they should be able to measure it - otherwise good body composition analysis in your city / area.
  • chessmaster1993
    chessmaster1993 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had alot of success using the keto diet, I recommend lyle mcdonald ketogenic diet book. It explains everything very well. My first time around I'd say I lost around 40 pounds or so before going back to a balanced diet. This time around I lost another 10 pounds or so. The trick is not to be discouraged by weight fluctuations, look for trends, water weight can be tricky if you don't weigh in at the same time. I recommend weighing in once a week first thing Monday morning before you eat. Calories in vs calories out is key.
  • cristinaengel
    Options
    I have had alot of success using the keto diet, I recommend lyle mcdonald ketogenic diet book. It explains everything very well. My first time around I'd say I lost around 40 pounds or so before going back to a balanced diet. This time around I lost another 10 pounds or so. The trick is not to be discouraged by weight fluctuations, look for trends, water weight can be tricky if you don't weigh in at the same time. I recommend weighing in once a week first thing Monday morning before you eat. Calories in vs calories out is key.

I will check out that book. Can I get it on Amazon? Thank you
  • abadvat
    Options

I'd actually suggest anything from Lyle McDonald - a wealth of knowledge based on research.
    Approach to nutrition remains very human and goes over all aspects of it.
    A Guide to flexible dieting and Ultimate Diet 2.0 are in my opinion great tools for anyone at any level.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There is a low carb group here that has a lot of Keto people. You should join us. I am on my phone so can't easily link to it, but if you are on a PC there is a link on the main community page, right side. Or Friend me and ask, I will get you the link next time I'm on the PC.

As for why you are losing weight slower than someone who lost 10 pounds in a week, most likely means you were not retaining as much water naturally to start with - which is a good thing IMO! That person had A LOT of water retention, which is most of what people lose their first week on a low carb diet anyway. Those 10 pounds in one week was not the healthy fat loss we really need, so don't sweat that it didn't happen for you, ok?

Burning fat also doesn't add up to as much weight as burning muscle, which can happen more on starvation type diets. You are not doing that so it may just mean you have targeted more fat loss. Another good thing!

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea to compare yourself to how fast others lose in a time period, or to weight loss testimonials. You'll easily psych yourself out.
  • cristinaengel
    Options
    It's a bad idea to compare yourself to how fast others lose in a time period, or to weight loss testimonials. You'll easily psych yourself out.

You are correct. I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't missing something or doing something wrong. Thank you. I'll try to remember not to compare my lose to others...
  • cristinaengel
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    There is a low carb group here that has a lot of Keto people. You should join us. I am on my phone so can't easily link to it, but if you are on a PC there is a link on the main community page, right side. Or Friend me and ask, I will get you the link next time I'm on the PC.

As for why you are losing weight slower than someone who lost 10 pounds in a week, most likely means you were not retaining as much water naturally to start with - which is a good thing IMO! That person had A LOT of water retention, which is most of what people lose their first week on a low carb diet anyway. Those 10 pounds in one week was not the healthy fat loss we really need, so don't sweat that it didn't happen for you, ok?

Burning fat also doesn't add up to as much weight as burning muscle, which can happen more on starvation type diets. You are not doing that so it may just mean you have targeted more fat loss. Another good thing!

Thank you. I received your friend request.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've logged in 50 days in a row, low carbs. Between 20-40 each day. So why Have I only lost 10lbs? most People lose most twice or three times that amount in 2 month. Help

10 lbs = 35000 calories lost, divide by 50 = 700 calories a day deficit. You eat about 1500, so you're using about 2200. All seems fine.