5:2 diet, anyone tried?

Options
Hi all!

I have just rejoined MFP after a year or so hiatus :) I am trying out the 5:2 diet and am on my first fast day today. I just wondered if anyone else on here had tried and what your experiences were. If you have any tips, I would be grateful!

K

Replies

• Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have heard about this but know nothing. I am now following this post.. :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I have used 5:2 as a weight loss method in the past and regularly have bouts of intermittent fasting (IF) in loss and maintenance cycles (I also bulk: attempt to gain muscle weight by eating more than maintenance).

Tips & comments:
    • Weight loss is about calories. 5:2 does not alter that and it is possible to fast twice a week and on the other days eat more than required and therefore maintain or even gain. I strongly suggest that you log your food to ensure that you are meeting a sensible calorific deficit.
    • The flip side of this is that it is very easy to eat too little when fasting. Calculate how many calories you need per week for your desired weight loss and then assuming that your fast days are 500 cals each, ensure that you eat the remainder over the remaining 5 days.

Example:

to lose 1lb per week MFP tells you that you can eat 1500 cals per day. 1500 x 7 = 10,500 cals per week. 2 fast days use up 1000 cals so you should eat 1900 cals on the non-fast days.
    • Tea, coffee, and water are your allies on fast days.
    • Pre-log fast day food and ensure that you have the correct foods in the house to prepare your meal(s)
    • Don't expect any sympathy on your fast days - Most people don't understand or care. They will just think you are weird. Avoid talking about it to your co-workers LOL.
    • Exercise is fine on fast days. I routinely weight trained on fast days with no apparent loss of performance. You are recommended to work out and live as normal on those days but it would be sensible to plan any long cardio sessions to occur on non-fasting days.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes I did this for about 6 weeks a couple of years ago and found it very good. I do tend to go for longer periods without eating than some do, this is just my personal preference so I did not struggle too much with fast days. I found the most beneficial thing for me personally was forcing myself to pay attention to calories, getting the most 'bang for my buck' so to speak and this has helped me maintain a much better understanding of how much is too much. As the overall calories for the week are going to be lower you are guaranteed to be in a deficit and therefore lose weight. Overall I found it excellent but not for long term, just for a kick start and re-education! Good luck!
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    TheOriginalBeauty Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you need a 5:2 friend feel free to add me :)

I drink a lot during fast days, I fill up on protein and vegetables. I save about 150 calories for dessert. You need a plan, something to stick by...that will help a lot.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did it for almost a year and did very well.

Positives
    - I lost 5 kg's fairly effortlessly
    - I've for the most part kept it off once I quit the 5:2
    - It helped me reframe my problems with binge and emotional eating. Being able to "urge-surf" a binge and being forced to analyse the reasons why i wanted to binge has given me lots more control over food
    - I learned what hunger feels like, and that the sensation is not frightening

Negatives
    - I was unable to function 100% on fast days and have had to quit 5:2 as it became incompatible with my job
    - I ended up going the other way and restricting food more and more (in the end I was doing 2:5 and made myself ill) I think this is probably my dysfunctional relationship with food rather than anything else
    - I found it difficult to exercise fasted, so didn't maintain fitness levels
    - I struggled to maintain the sort of diet I wanted (vegan) within the context of 5:2.

So, I found it overall useful, but with some reservations.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Try 16/8. It's easier. Although writing 2 is easier than 16/8 IYSWIM. :D I actually had to stop 16/8 as I was losing too much weight.

It's easy to calculate, too. Say your last mouthful is at 9pm, add 4 = 1am. So you can eat again at 1pm. Easy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here are links to a couple of groups:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

I tried 5:2, but the two 500 calorie days were hard. I zig-zag my calories differently, but I do eat at maintenance on weekends. I think the 5:2 idea of eating at maintenance is smart. I have struggled with maintenance in the past.
  • KellyLouise8
    KellyLouise8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! All your comments have really helped fill a blank space where there was the Unknown. Lol. Tiny_clanger, tour comment about learning that hunger isn't scary totally made me feel that way too. It's so against our physical instincts to go on feeling hunger but I think it just gets some getting used to!

Today I have survived and I feel ok! I definitely went over a bit. I think I've had about 700 cals now (will log in a sec). But I won't beat myself up as I am just starting. I have a tendency to push myself too hard and then fail so I want to just give this a real chance.

K x
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    They just had a segment about this on the news... It seemed to get high remarks. When I did WW years ago I used to save points throughout the week for when I knew I was going out for dinner Friday night I would save a few points per day to splurge a bit when I was out.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    As TeaBea suggested, check out the dedicated groups.

Full-day fasting is super-effective. 5:2 is a good protocol, and Alternate Day Fasting is even quicker. I do a fast about once a week in maintenance, ~300 calories of mostly fats.

Hints: it's easier if you're eating high-fat macros. Watch Mosley's documentary and then read his and Varady's books. Drink lots of coffee. Don't worry, it's easier the more you do it and you get used to actual hunger.

Cheers.