Women's Health Question and Water Pills - TMI

Options
chunky_pinup
chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
Okay…I’m 31 years old but have only been having my period for about 5 months now. I have not had it since my teens as I was on a form of BC that prevented it to help with my PCOS and Endometriosis. Then, I got knocked up while on said BC (yup, I’m that 0.02%, lol), so still no period, then didn’t get it back until I started weaning with breastfeeding…so I’m kinda new to the period game.

The past three months, the bloating and swelling is so bad that I literally look 6 months pregnant while I’m on my period. It’s to the point where it’s painful and even my hands and feet are swelling. I don’t look at the scale when I’m on my period, so this isn’t exactly about weight loss, but I’ve heard of people using water pills while they’re menstruating to counteract the water retention. I’m not a pill-popper when it comes to quick fixes or weight loss, and when I went into the pharmacy to buy some this morning I noticed they were on the shelves WITH all the weight loss garbage pills.

Are water pills just a quick fix weight loss scam? Or do they actually have benefits that I’m looking for? I don’t care about losing “water weight” but I would like to stop retaining so much at this time each month so I’m not in as much pain. Do they help, or would I just be throwing money away and causing additional health problems?

Replies

• ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    They can help bloating HOWEVER, if you're not careful you can cause dehydration pretty quickly depending on how your body takes them. Have you tried pamprin or midol? These help bloating, fatigue, and most of the aches and pains that come to visit with Aunt Flo. You can also try limiting your sodium intake, I know that's hard especially if you're like me and all you want are fries... And milkshakes XD. But high sodium diets will cause you to swell more too. I really hope you find relief!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    They can help bloating HOWEVER, if you're not careful you can cause dehydration pretty quickly depending on how your body takes them. Have you tried pamprin or midol? These help bloating, fatigue, and most of the aches and pains that come to visit with Aunt Flo. You can also try limiting your sodium intake, I know that's hard especially if you're like me and all you want are fries... And milkshakes XD. But high sodium diets will cause you to swell more too. I really hope you find relief!

I don't tend to eat a lot of sodium....I'm always under, and I never have bad cravings or anything like that. I don't like to take unnecessary meds, so I haven't taken midol or pamprin because they have additional drugs in them for pain relief, etc. and I don't have any of those symptoms...just severe water retention that's driving me mad. I drink a TON of water...I don't drink anything else and usually get 100-150 oz/day, so I'm not worried about dehydration. I'm just more concerned that I found them with the diet pills, and that was concerning to me because I am looking for relief from water retention and not some diet fad and want to make sure they actually are safe to take for the purpose I want for maybe 2-3 days/month.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about water pills but those symptoms seem pretty extreme. I bloat and get sore and all that but not the level that you do. Before trying water pills or anything you're worried might be a gimmick, I'd talk to your doctor. They might have some suggestions. If you're swelling to the point of pain, you need to do something about it. Good luck!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be late to the party, but I'm now suffering the same thing. Endo Bloat. I have previously use MissFit TYTE (which I thought worked well) and Jamie Eason's Anti-Bloat formula (3p a day at night 1x a day). Unfortunately now that I've stopped taking BC due to my sister having a stroke in January (She's 28, I'm 38) I've noticed serious bloat.
    There are teas/natural herbs you can use. Dandelion Tea is an acquired taste but is said to be helpful. There is also a digestive tea, but it has fennel or black licorice in it and the taste for me is terrible. Plus with you BF, you may want to discuss with your pediatrician.

Please let me know if you find something. I feel otherwise fit but the bloating is insane.