Is it enough?

Options
It has taken me a long time to get out of the mind set that I need to exercise in order to lose weight. I would try to exercise for over an hour every day and I would just dread it and then if I missed a day I would feel SO guilty. But I have finally gotten to the point where I know my weight loss depends mostly on having a calorie deficit and exercise is for fitness and my mental well being. I have dropped the amount of time I spend exercising down but I exercise every day now and actually look forward to it now. I typically do 2 days of intense cardiovascular for 30 minutes each, 2 days of HIIT for 25 minutes each, 2 days of walking for 45 - 60 minutes each and 1 day of yoga for 35 minutes. Just wondering if what I am doing is enough? Everyone always says do what you will stick with and so far I'm loving the change I've made. And before anyone points it out I realize that there is no lifting going on but truthfully I absolutely loathe lifting. Maybe one day but not right now. I do do some body weight exercises though like squats, lunges, push ups, planks etc.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'enough' depends on your goals.

is your routine enough to be a reasonably healthy individual - yes. the government recommends you do 30 minutes of activity 5 x a week to be 'healthy' so you've got that covered.

is it 'enough' to be able to run a marathon? no, but then that's not your goal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what your goals are. You loathe lifting. I love lifting. We have totally different goals at the end of the day.

But ultimately, weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym. Eat less calories than your body uses in a day and you are going to lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Enough to stay decently fit? Likely. If that's your goal, then you're doing fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Definitely not looking to run a marathon though I would love to run once I get down to a healthier weight. I guess "is it enough" would mean is what im doing enough to start on my way to getting more fit? I also just wanna get the exercise bug, to where I can add in longer/more exercise and love it and look forward to it instead of dreading it.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Absolutely
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Definitely not looking to run a marathon though I would love to run once I get down to a healthier weight. I guess "is it enough" would mean is what im doing enough to start on my way to getting more fit? I also just wanna get the exercise bug, to where I can add in longer/more exercise and love it and look forward to it instead of dreading it.

I think for weight loss alone what you're doing is enough if you feel you still aren't losing much weight from doing all of this take another look at your diet!
  • andimeg
    andimeg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! I am not an exercise fan, so I have been doing something similar. Whatever you can stick to is the right routine for you, I'd say!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what your goals are. You loathe lifting. I love lifting. We have totally different goals at the end of the day.

But ultimately, weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym. Eat less calories than your body uses in a day and you are going to lose weight.

This. I did a 10lb bulk over the winter to get.stronger. Now I have lowered my calories, but am eating the same amount of protein and continue to lift so that I don't lose lean muscle while losing 5-8 lbs to make the BMI police at work happy. (my health insurance premium is based on my BMI. Screening is in mid May.)

Good luck and keep up the good work.