Talk some sense into me please!

Options
I am signed up for a step aerobics class tonight at my gym, but I always feel SO intimidated that I haven't made it to a session yet. I don't know why I'm so nervous. Can someone tell me I need to do this! It's silly, because I do really want to do it too, I just wimp out all the time.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    ahh bless!! Don't be nervous, just GO, it'll never be as bad as you imagine...
  • charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Go do it! You will feel so much better after its done :smiley:
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Is there a friend you can bring along with you? That helps me when I feel intimidated.

Also, if you've never done step before, it can definetly feel intimidating. Stick it out for a few sessions as you get the hang of the movements! It's great cardio! And looks really dancey and fun!
  • GonzoMcG
    GonzoMcG Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nope, no friends who are members of my gym (no one wants to work out with me for some reason!) I'm gonna just have to man up and go.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Pick a spot in the back of the room. Watch what the others do and copy. You'll be fine.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I always go a few mins early to new classes and try to chat w the instructor first. Let them know it's your first time. They can make sure you set everything up correctly and usually make an effort to include some modifications for newbies. Remember, everyone else in that class had a first day too! Go and have fun :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Pick a spot at the back of the room and don't feel bad if you can't keep up! and most of all, have fun!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this on facebook the day before a big cycling event. I struggle with nerves before every cycling event, but especially this one. The timing was perfect. I saw it and thought, "Right. OK. I may be extremely nervous, but I'm just going to go do it anyway." :)

tumblr_nwor4bHnjc1rmagk1o1_1280.png

Maybe it will help you too. :)

And yes, like the others have said ... go early, pick a spot in the back, and follow along with what the others are doing as best you can. They don't expect you to be choreographed like a Las Vegas chorus line ... just do what you can.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    love that quote thanks for sharing!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    bbinoa wrote: »
    I always go a few mins early to new classes and try to chat w the instructor first. Let them know it's your first time. They can make sure you set everything up correctly and usually make an effort to include some modifications for newbies. Remember, everyone else in that class had a first day too! Go and have fun :)

This. You'll be fine.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Have fun. :) I went to 2 when I was a member at LA fitness and I tripped over my own step. No one laughed or even cared or payed attention to me falling over myself . :)
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No courage without fear.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Who cares what people think? I'm sure they were all scared and intimidated their first time. Maybe find someone else that looks nervous and befriend them? You can do it! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What is the worst thing you imagine will happen at a step class? Farting loudly, then tripping with your pants splitting while knocking down 5 classmates as you flail on the floor? Probably won't happen.

Everyone in the class is a human being. They are not going to point and laugh at you for showing up and doing the same exercises they do. They are going to understand if you don't do ever exercise percectly right away. I'm going to guess they are not all Olympic athletes, models, or fitness instructors. They all started as beginners. They are all thinking more about themselves than they are about you.

You are an adult. You do not have to take a step class if you don't want to. There are many ways to improve your fitness level.
    You could go to at least one session and see what it is like though. If you try it and the class makes you uncomfortable you can leave. You have that power.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    What's the worst that is going to happen?

No one in that class is going to be looking at you. Relax and get out of your own head.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Someone posted this on facebook the day before a big cycling event. I struggle with nerves before every cycling event, but especially this one. The timing was perfect. I saw it and thought, "Right. OK. I may be extremely nervous, but I'm just going to go do it anyway." :)

tumblr_nwor4bHnjc1rmagk1o1_1280.png

Maybe it will help you too. :)

And yes, like the others have said ... go early, pick a spot in the back, and follow along with what the others are doing as best you can. They don't expect you to be choreographed like a Las Vegas chorus line ... just do what you can.

That is such a beautiful sentiment. I read OP's post and thought "Don't mistake being nervous as a bad thing - it means you know this is important to do."

I've just gotten into the c25k running program. i'm sure i'll have tough days again, but i've just crossed a major personal milestone this morning, and oh my gosh, am i ever exhilarated. overcoming the anxiety is way better than pretending it isn't there!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    GonzoMcG wrote: »
    I am signed up for a step aerobics class tonight at my gym, but I always feel SO intimidated that I haven't made it to a session yet. I don't know why I'm so nervous. Can someone tell me I need to do this! It's silly, because I do really want to do it too, I just wimp out all the time.

Don't wimp out! I've been going to various incarnations of step class for over 25 years, and find it to be a fun way to get my cardio done. Let the instructor know you're new, find a spot where you have a good view of instructor & mirrors (use mirrors to watch instructor as well!), follow along & learn the basic steps as you can, make sure you march or jog in place if you need to take a break or watch what the class is doing. It takes me between 5-10 sessions with a new instructor to start getting the hang of it; don't worry if it takes you some time. Once you learn the basics you will start picking it up. Remember that everyone in the class was new & had to learn from scratch, even the most experienced steppers, don't feel intimidated. I hope you go & enjoy yourself, let me know how you get on. Remember, keep moving, keep a sense of humour & have fun!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Practice makes easy, easy makes fun, no one is perfect.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At my first Zumba class, I had no idea what I was doing, while it seemed like everyone else knew the whole routine. The instructor was super supportive, and after a few classes, I had caught on and now I love it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and everyone is a beginner at some point. Don't care about what anyone thinks, go for yourself and try to have fun! If you can't do the moves the instructor is giving, modify them until you can.