Struggling on the weekends

Options
Anyone have any advice on how to better approach the weekends in terms of eating healthy? I find that my work schedule helps me maintain my healthy living during the work week - but on the weekends I end up eating more than my calorie goal and getting really down on myself. Suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Bank your calories during the week so you can eat more on the weekend.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Bank your calories during the week so you can eat more on the weekend.

^This
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How much are you going over on your calories? Maybe you can try to balance out your week more, so you don't always feel the need to overeat on weekends?
  • launchpadmkquak
    launchpadmkquak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem on the weekends, especially Saturday. I found that if I eat a bigger lunch then I normally would that I do better later in the day. I see it as eating a couple hundred extra calories at lunch so I don't eat 1000+ extra calories later in the day. Weekends are tough.....gotta do what you gotta do!!!!
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Weekends are pretty tough..... Some times I eat very well and some weekends I'm like a toddler left unsupervised in a candy store. Oh my! Find if I eat a hearty breakfast each day, I do better. Since during the week, I eat scheduled snacks in between meals, if I combine that snack and breakfast or lunch, I can hang in there better. Sunday is when I prep my food for the whole week, so I usually do better on Sundays. It is Saturday I have to be super careful and if struggling get out there and walk for a couple of hours.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    I have this same problems because the weekends usually also mean going out to dinner or even going out for drinks. I try to deal with this by doing some cardio in the mornings so that way I have some extra calories on those days.
    Also Monday mornings I get back to working hard on my diet and excersize
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've heard people setting it for 2lbs/week on the weekdays and then maintenance on the weekends. Might work for you.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I agree with the suggestion about getting more cardio. That adds a couple hundred calories. I also find that I tend to eat less filling breakfasts during the weekend, so pay attention to fullness cues and adjust your macros as needed. Otherwise I just get back on plan on Monday and hope the weekend gain was just water weight that will come right back off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bank calories during the week, and make sure you eat tasty foods all the time so you feel more satisfied and less likely to treat yourself extra during the week end.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any advice on how to better approach the weekends in terms of eating healthy? I find that my work schedule helps me maintain my healthy living during the work week - but on the weekends I end up eating more than my calorie goal and getting really down on myself. Suggestions?

That's also what I have to my advantage. I'm clear and confident that I can drop all weekend gains and more during weekdays.

You don't sound like you have a good plan to deal with your problem. In that case I suggest that you find ways to disrupt the weekend eating. Specifically, recognize the time and place that you tend to do this overeating, be somewhere else, do something else.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Dedicate one weekend day to exercise. Find something you enjoy and look forward to. It will keep you busy instead of eating, like work. It will also buy you some extra calories and make you stronger and healthier. Win, win, win, win.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you're going over. If it's just a couple hundred calories, that's easy to save up for during the week, and really, is not going to be an issue in the long term. If it's a lot more, then maybe start a schedule for the weekends in terms of food. Save one meal each day for a big meal so if you eat out or eat with friends, you can enjoy it, but have less over the rest of the day.
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...good all week, but when that weekend comes there's like a switch that goes on/off in my brain. I sabotage myself, I must stop!!
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I try to bank calories during the week for the weekend, get some good cardio in and plan ahead for what I'm eating. I also try really hard not to keep things in the house that I like to munch on, but that's hard with a 4 year old around. I'm not much of a morning person so I usually skip breakfast on the weekends so I can have a bigger lunch and dinner. That works well for me but might not for everyone. :smile:
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Banking calories is good.

Also, on the weekends it helps me to only have one big meal per day. I will either have a nice brunch and go really light for dinner. Or I will not eat much all day and then go all out to dinner/drinks with friends at night. It makes me feel less deprived to be able to eat normally when I'm at a social even on the weekend.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I bank calories through the whole week but I only allow myself ONE heavy meal on the weekend. I just have to not do the things I used to do (going out for drinks on both Friday and Saturday nights, etc.) That's just the way it is - I'd rather have that than continue to be fat.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If my weight loss struggles/plateaus could be summarized in one post, this would be it.

On the weekends, I try to stall breakfast and turn it into a brunch so that then I end up eating only 2 meals. Works pretty well.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a pretty big lunch then smaller dinner, and just think of myself as a furnace, that I need to stoke every so often. I also take time to weigh, chop and organize a great dinner or lunch...like a cooking show, try to keep cooking healthy fun. To plan everything, see it pre-measured on a plate just solidifies my clean eating choice. (and no I don't talk like a silly chef when I cook, saute' and fix it hahahaha)
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I try to just eat the same all week long, however I do run 10 mile son one of my days off so that gives me a bunch of extra calories that day...
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow -- great thread. I also have weekend problems. Things that help are: Exercise in the morning both Sat and Sun, doing exercise I like to do with people I like to do it with -- particularly longer bike rides, runs, bootcamp, crossfit, etc. Also try to plan good activities with people I like to be with. Try to mix up inevitable chores with fun things. All this helps -- what doesn't work is to pretend that weekends are not a problem. I try to stick to my regular food plan, and make sure no "binge" foods in the house. This helps to.