I don't have a choice now and it is scaring me.....

Options
I have been on a "weight loss" journey for as long as I can remember. I have went up and down over the last 12 years (since my son was born) and lost a lot of weight, gain it back, lost it, gained it back, etc. I'm currently 42 years old and 298 pounds - it's an awful feeling.

What's worse about it this time around is I have absolutely NO choice but to lose this weight and do it now. They just found a blockage in my heart on a CT scan last week. The blockage is in the left anterior descending artery and is known as the "widowmaker". My liver enzymes are also elevated as is my cholesterol and glucose.

And the sad thing is - I knew exactly what I was doing. My father died at 52 from coronary artery disease and heart failure and weighed almost 500 pounds. I knew how this would turn out for me if I didn't change things and I just sat there, on my a**, doing nothing.

I feel like it is too late to rectify this situation and that is what scares me the most. I feel like I am living with a ticking time bomb in my chest, which is just waiting to explode.

I'm having a pity party, I know, but this really scares me. I was 32 when I lost my dad and it wrecked my world - I can't imagine being my son and possibly losing his mom at 12.

I don't know what to do....ugh

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

Yes you do. If this isn't a wake up call, nothing is.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can do this. It's never too late to try.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you have not done so already, seek a therapist. Immediately. You need support in this.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not too late.. Talk with your doctor, ask about omega 3s.. Talk to a nutritionist. Take it slow, dont stress, small changes add up.. This is a great place for help and support. God bless you, start your journey.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It is not too late to lose weight and improve your health.

I let my weight go up and down for 15 years until I was obese, in pain, couldn't walk a few blocks, out of breath climbing stairs in my house. I knew better also. I saw my obese mom stuckin a chair her last years before she died of cancer and still didn't lose weight. I have a teenage daughter and I didn't do it for her either.
    Finally I said, "*kitten* this. I'm only 40. I deserve to live a full healthy life." I came to MFP the next day. I set up an account. I had little confidence. I ate at the calorie goal I was told to lose 1 lb a week. I logged everything. I started preogging my whole day. I ate normal food just appropriate portion sizes. No crazy super restrictive diet or intense exercise plans. I started with walking and seated workout videos on you tube for obese and elderly people. It wasn't sexy but my fitness level improved.
    I lost at that 1 lb rate and then maintained for awhile. I'm down 25 lbs and my quality of life is so much better. My pain is gone. I keep up with my family when we walk places. I do more things. I've been at it for over a year and I'm ready to lose some more. I am still 9 lbs overweight and 20-30 lbs from my ideal weight.

It will take time but every pound you lose and keep off is an improvement. You can do this. In a year with just eating the right calories you could lose 50 lbs or more.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Dude. There is no fear on this earth like the panic that sets in after a choice is taken from you, and no pain like regret for not helping yourself from your current situation. I'm very sorry to hear about your issue.

That being said, you're in the right place. You have doctors that are aware of your diagnosis, and can help point you to the kinds of resources that will help you. Listen to THEM (doctors, dietitians, trainers) over people on mfp. This is a great place for moral support, but the professionals working with you are the closest to the truth.

So first things first! :) speak with your doctor and ask how much physical activity your heart can handle. This way, you can manage your body without hurting it. next, ask your doctor to recommend you to a dietitian, not a nutritionist (one has a degree, one does not). Get with your new dietitian and have them break down the basics of nutrition for you, have the help you formulate a meal plan that will help you both shed weight and heal any damage to your heart. Once you have that plan, stick to it. Throw out the snacks, replace all food in your house with things that will help you, not hurt you. It helps eliminate cravings if you're not staring down the calorie-rich nutrient-dry stuff all day. Fizzy waters in place of sodas, mixed nuts instead of chips, etc. Making the switch is difficult, but worth it.

Finally, wait. It takes a very long time for a healthy body to shed weight, and in your situation, it's going to be even tougher. You may have to wait for the diet to cut your weight before you are "allowed" to exercise, if your condition is looming. It's going to be hard. But hard doesn't mean impossible, and you can do this. You raised a KID, the hardest job in history. You've got this. Sure it took a kick in the pants, but you're gonna pull through this because you have the power to arm yourself with the tools you need. And everyone on this site is cheering for you.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. My max weight was 220 and I didn't start gaining until my job set me in an office all day. I started with some serious supplements from the dr. I had a fatty liver disease and needed to drop my triglycerides and increase my good cholesterol. The only thing to do was diet and exercise. So far I'm down 32 lbs., but my bloodwork looks great. Find some motivational friends who keep you going, and you are headed in the right direction. There is no miracle cure out there. You will work and pretty soon, you will like it. Stay motivated and keep logging. I found that once I actually started tracking the food I put in my mouth, I was more accountable to myself. My father died at 54 and I was 21. I've been on a roller coaster for years, but it helps to have accountability buddies. I'm sending you a friend request.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Your son should be motivation enough.
  • southbaysonia
    southbaysonia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You do have a choice and it sounds like you are making it. You are choosing yourself (and your son). A good first step. Relish that. Take it one step at a time. I'd invite you to keep a journal. Everyday, the first line could be "Today, I'm choosing to ..." examples:
    - not beat myself up for my weight
    - take a walk around the block
    - make a meal plan and shopping list for the week
    - talk to a non-judgemental and supportive friend about my plan and seek their support and, if possible, their help (walking together, etc).

all best,

SBS
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's never too late. Work out a plan with your doctor. Maybe see a licensed dietician as well. The hardest part is always the first step, but having a plan makes it easier. Relatively speaking, that is! Keep telling yourself it's not just for you, it's also for your son.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It's not too late. Become passionate about YOUR life. Make it the best you can from here on out. Believe me, even when older it's never easy to watch a parent give up. I'm 47, my mom is 69 and she is going to die. Type II diabetes, heart failure, weight, she's a ticking time bomb and will not work on anything except making sure she has the little disabled parking pass. It's literally heartbreaking for me to have to sit back and just watch it. Every time I suggest anything about her nutrition, it's "oh ya ya ya" in one ear and out the other.

This is YOUR time to take your life back. You CAN do it, but you must want to fight for it. Don't do it for your son. Do it for YOU. You deserve better health and a happy life.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Of course you do. You know exactly what to do. Eat right, lose weight, exercise regularly.

Change is often hard so don't expect it to be easy, and don't expect to be perfect. But no matter how many setbacks you have, just keep getting back to it. You can do it. Nobody can do it for you.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You do have a choice and it sounds like you are making it. You are choosing yourself (and your son). A good first step. Relish that. Take it one step at a time. I'd invite you to keep a journal. Everyday, the first line could be "Today, I'm choosing to ..." examples:
    - not beat myself up for my weight
    - take a walk around the block
    - make a meal plan and shopping list for the week
    - talk to a non-judgemental and supportive friend about my plan and seek their support and, if possible, their help (walking together, etc).

all best,

SBS

This is a fantastic idea, especially for the times you may get discouraged. You can look back and see all that you've accomplished.
    Start with small changes, go easy and learn to forgive yourself...you CAN do this! You have the tools and support right here. What an inspiration you can be to your son,too!
  • all_4_my_son
    all_4_my_son Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your motivation and support - you do not know how much I appreciate it!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I have been on a "weight loss" journey for as long as I can remember. I have went up and down over the last 12 years (since my son was born) and lost a lot of weight, gain it back, lost it, gained it back, etc. I'm currently 42 years old and 298 pounds - it's an awful feeling.

What's worse about it this time around is I have absolutely NO choice but to lose this weight and do it now. They just found a blockage in my heart on a CT scan last week. The blockage is in the left anterior descending artery and is known as the "widowmaker". My liver enzymes are also elevated as is my cholesterol and glucose.

And the sad thing is - I knew exactly what I was doing. My father died at 52 from coronary artery disease and heart failure and weighed almost 500 pounds. I knew how this would turn out for me if I didn't change things and I just sat there, on my a**, doing nothing.

I feel like it is too late to rectify this situation and that is what scares me the most. I feel like I am living with a ticking time bomb in my chest, which is just waiting to explode.

I'm having a pity party, I know, but this really scares me. I was 32 when I lost my dad and it wrecked my world - I can't imagine being my son and possibly losing his mom at 12.

Good thing is everyday you eat at a deficit is another step towards getting better. It doesn't take long for a change in how you eat to start benefiting you. You know exactly what to do, your path couldn't be any clearer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've walked the cliff's edge, too, and beat myself up for past failures. The blame doesn't help. Neither does useless anxiety. You can remain frozen at that cliff's edge, scaring yourself to death, or you can take a single step towards health. Every decision you make, every day, can lead you away from your terror.

I suggest deliberately taking a different approach this time, as you have done the yo-yo dieting before and it hasn't helped. I suggest small changes, that you write down in a goal book, and re-assess every week. I suggest that weight loss NOT be a goal, but rather permanent life changes. As in, weighing all your food this week, as a first step.

http://www.nwcr.ws/stories.htm
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Beating yourself up doesn't burn any calories. It's time to get to work.

My suggestion is to focus on developing better habits one or two at a time. Once something becomes a part of your routine, you can add a new habit.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you're still breathing it's not too late! You're stronger than you think;) Thank God for that heartbeat in your chest and that He has a purpose for your life:) You've got this:) The first step is always the hardest.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You're not in the hospital yet--so you've got some time. Use it and get your health on track. You should be under a doctor's care, but please don't delay. Get started now.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You DO know what to do. I have confidence in you.