Sweets one day, hunger the next

Options
I'm finding that if I indulge in carbs one day, I'm hungry the day after.

Today is a case in point. Yesterday was a big carb day and today I'm plagued by hunger. At 10:30, I'm still hungry, despite having a good breakfast at 8. I'm realizing that this is exactly why I've gained weight in the past and I need a new approach.

Suggestions welcome.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you open your food diary it might help. A "big carb day" means different things to different people.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you open your food diary it might help. A "big carb day" means different things to different people.

Didn't even log the day! I was on travel for a special occasion and had extra carbs at every turn, including a dessert for dinner. You'd think I'd be less hungry today, but no!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Didn't even log the day! I was on travel for a special occasion and had extra carbs at every turn, including a dessert for dinner. You'd think I'd be less hungry today, but no!

Sounds like you didn't get enough protein, fat and fiber. It's not the sweets causing hunger, it's the lack of balance and nutrients. If you had a fairly balanced day and all you did was add a few hundred calories of dessert that would be different. Your body is trying to tell you that you didn't give it what it really needed yesterday.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Sounds like you didn't get enough protein, fat and fiber. It's not the sweets causing hunger, it's the lack of balance and nutrients. If you had a fairly balanced day and all you did was add a few hundred calories of dessert that would be different. Your body is trying to tell you that you didn't give it what it really needed yesterday.

Yeah I agree with that.
  • nicole_j
    nicole_j Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When you eat processed foods that are high in sugar and carbs your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs which in turn causes cravings and hunger. The more junk you eat the more you will crave junk. You should always log your meals, even on cheat days. You would be amazed at the amount of empty calories you are consuming and it might make you think twice before eating that dessert. High carb days for me include extra fruit, rice cakes, brown rice, sweet potatoes and lots of vegetables. That is a "high carb" day. I wake up feeling full of energy and completely satisfied. If I drink wine and eat unhealthy carbs full on processed flour and sugar, I wake up feeling tired, hungry and sluggish. Rethink your carbs.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    "Junk" food. LOL

Try adding in more protein and fat on your cheat days. Also, log that stuff anyway so you can get better at cheating and learn what does and doesn't work for you.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    "Junk" food. LOL

Try adding in more protein and fat on your cheat days. Also, log that stuff anyway so you can get better at cheating and learn what does and doesn't work for you.

"unhealthy carbs" as well.

OP, I had my first ever properly planned refeed day a couple of years ago and the next day I had another one, which was unplanned. My hunger levels went drastically up, it wasn't anything I'd ever experienced before. So this hasn't just happened to you if it's any comfort.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nicole_j wrote: »
    When you eat processed foods that are high in sugar and carbs your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs which in turn causes cravings and hunger. The more junk you eat the more you will crave junk. You should always log your meals, even on cheat days. You would be amazed at the amount of empty calories you are consuming and it might make you think twice before eating that dessert. High carb days for me include extra fruit, rice cakes, brown rice, sweet potatoes and lots of vegetables. That is a "high carb" day. I wake up feeling full of energy and completely satisfied. If I drink wine and eat unhealthy carbs full on processed flour and sugar, I wake up feeling tired, hungry and sluggish. Rethink your carbs.

Funny, that never happens to me. I swear that anti carb people just look for any excuse to convince themselves that carbs are bad.

Yesterday I ate pretty much 90% desserts, pancakes, bread, ice cream... (it was my birthday!). I actually had a kick *kitten* workout after that meal too, imagine that.

Anyway, this morning I wasn't very hungry at all and ended up having breakfast a bit later than I usually do. I'm actually feeling great, didn't need 3 cups of coffee as usual, and I don't think I'll have much of an issue sticking to my deficit today. Also been doing pretty good on my workouts.

OP, I think the key is to make sure to have a balanced breakfast after you have a day like that... Mine was whole wheat toast with nut butter and an apple. Plenty of fiber, good fat, some protein.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Today is a case in point. Yesterday was a big carb day and today I'm plagued by hunger. At 10:30, I'm still hungry, despite having a good breakfast at 8. I'm realizing that this is exactly why I've gained weight in the past and I need a new approach.

@usmcmp, @nicole_j and @_Waffle_

Suggestions welcome.

Yes @Jthanmyfitnesspal this can be the case for others too. Because of my health concerns beyond just weight loss I just wound up going off sugar and all forms of grains. I do not recommend that for casual weight loss because it was a hellish two weeks. Thankfully the cravings just then faded and have not returned 18 months later.

The points made by @usmcmp , @nicole_j and @_Waffle_ are sensible starting points that worked for me as I fine tuned my macro and learned in some cases not all calories are the same to mine body and mind. Login to learn is key to be able to tweak down the road.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There's a few things that go into it. When I used to have really bad binges during my more restrictive days of dieting, I would be so incredibly "hungry" the next morning. This compounds because you want to eat less in your mind the day after, so it sort of perpetuates a binge-cycle.

Drink LOTS of water. You're probably a bit dehydrated. Your body is also probably expecting more food again, so there may be some strong chemical signals going on.

I think I read something about not digesting and absorbing all the nutrients, so if you over-eat too much in a small window, it leaving your intestines full of food without satisfying your nutrient receptors, but that could just be someone's hypothesis.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Your body is also probably expecting more food again, so there may be some strong chemical signals going on.

Oh, yes there are!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

So very true. At least for me it is. Great response!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Blood sugar's spiking and then crashing, which you perceive as hunger.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can't learn about you if you only log when it is easy or when you are good. You can get a lot of insight on the days you consider bad days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Woo woo.....
    I find carbs the most filling and give me the most energy. Once your body has broken down and digested your food I wonder how it tells the difference between "good" and "bad" carbs.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist I took a class from recommended every meal include protein, produce and some healthy fat. It seems to be a decent rule of thumb. It might help you get through the hungry day.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I get like this I have boiled eggs, oranges and l-glutamine. It nips the hunger in the bud.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Snacking on mustard and pickles helps kill my appetite, but I'll retain more water to dilute the salt, for a day or two.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    after reading the above post, mustard and pickles def killed my appetite for a few days.. that just sounds nasty and might kill anything that might come near me after eating that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Funny, that never happens to me. I swear that anti carb people just look for any excuse to convince themselves that carbs are bad.

:smiley: Yes, that!

I'd estimate the OP's "problem" is 80% in the mind, and 20% needing a bit more fat or protein.

Suggestions welcome.

I suggest that you gained weight in the past because you ate too many calories.

Calories.