Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat day... Good or bad?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I call them "cheat" days because there really isn't anything else to call them. Off days? Non-tracking days? During my heavy losing days, I had approximately 1 of those "whatever" days per month. The other 29 or so days of the month I tracked, exercised, and kept at or under my goal. Most times, these days were holidays. Sometimes I'd just pick a day. I consistently lost 2 pounds per week for nearly 8 months. Nothing wrong with them, in my opinion.

I just call them, "I don't care recharge days"
  • raelene_wynder
    raelene_wynder Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Definitely need one. Just don't let it derail you. And more of a cheat meal.
  • bigorange70
    bigorange70 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten alot today because I know I am going to Waffle House tonight with my little boy and we are going to eat some really good stick to the ribs food. It also now fits into my daily calories as I have already logged it. HA HA
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of a cheat day because I work very hard to be good. I know the idea of a cheat day might be to reward yourself for doing a good job, but think of all the added calories you have to burn off again. That's my thought process to dissuade myself. I work hard to get the weight off... I don't want or need to work at it any harder.
  • lifesnotfare
    lifesnotfare Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bad.... weekly cheat meal, okay
  • kbatman777
    kbatman777 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I take it this way, is having a cheat day ok if it were cheating on your spouse? I don't believe in cheatint others or myself.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kbatman777 wrote: »
    I take it this way, is having a cheat day ok if it were cheating on your spouse? I don't believe in cheatint others or myself.

Yeah, but it's not "cheating". You are just eating more than usual and loosening the reins a bit. Can't really compare this to being unfaithful to ones spouse..
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, if there is something I want, I just work it into my calories. There will be very few occasions I would consider cheat days, but I will always try abd stay in calorie range and not go over board. Going overboard is what got me here to begin with and I really don't want to make it a habit.

Tomorrow I am going to the State Fair which is known for unhealthy Foods but I will do my best to make sure I eat healthier options and stay within my calorie range. All the walking will benefit me by burning off some of what i eat but I won't go too crazy because I don't want to undo all my hard work I have already done so far.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kbatman777 wrote: »

Yeah, but it's not "cheating". You are just eating more than usual and loosening the reins a bit. Can't really compare this to being unfaithful to ones spouse..

Yeah, that's why "cheat day" is a silly name.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    TK6299 wrote: »
    I don't know about a whole day dedicated to cheating lol... I'd never make any progress. Honestly I have one cheat meal a week on Sundays, which is when both my husband and I go out and have a date night. Even on the day I have my cheat meal I usually stay within my calories. I just eat less for breakfast and lunch and for my snacks something really small and tea to hold me over. That way when dinner time comes and we go out I can sort of indulge. This Sunday we are going to Melting Pot for the first time and I am so excited because I hear it's amazing.

So I say one cheat meal a week... but still try and stay within your calorie goal for the day.

Well said... One cheat meal a week and try to stick to within a couple of hundred of your calorie goal.

I like this idea too
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, I do free days. Basically it's a day where I don't worry about logging. Sometimes I need the break from the kitchen scale and the constant calculating that goes on in my head that goes along with logging. However, the longer I have been aware of portion sizes and what not, the easier free days get. So instead of having scrambled eggs with spinach and a piece of toast in the morning, I'll have over medium eggs with 2 pieces of toast. I'll also save up cravings for this day so that if it's a true craving, I'll give in. If it's not, it'll get lost after the moment. Also, special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries are a free for all for me. Like a previous poster said, I would rather focus on who I'm there with rather than the calories.

It's just something I need, and it's been working for me :)
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Instead of having a cheat day, I like to have one day where I can go out to eat for one meal. I don't even do that every week. More like every couple of weeks. I still try to make smart choices when I do but I cut myself a little slack.
  • emilyswilfong
    emilyswilfong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's so much better to have a cheat meal instead of a cheat day. You can do a lot of damage in one day!
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1-2 cheat meals, and my definition of a cheat meal is a meal that isn't tracked at all.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd do well with scheduled cheat days. Look, on Thanksgiving, I'm going to eat Thanksgiving. Will I eat less than usual? I hope so. Otherwise, I still tell myself I can eat whatever I choose. The key is to making that choice on a regular basis rather than thinking I'm on a diet every day. The other day while eating out with family I was struck with a crazy craving for a French dip sandwich. What I did was eat half the sandwich (sent the other half home with family that doesn't live with me). I didn't get fries with it, because I wasn't craving fries. I was craving the sandwich. I ordered a green salad with the lightest dressing they had, and I ate that first. Was that a "cheat day"? Nope. I still came in under my calorie goal when all was said and done.

To me the thought of cheat days means I'm dieting. I'm not dieting. I'm changing my lifestyle. There is room for everything I want to eat in that lifestyle, as long as I'm still going to exercise self control and make compromises, like making sure I had a healthy side with sandwich, and didn't over-eat.

• kirakinss
    kirakinss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love my cheat day, not even because I get to eat what I want, but because it has helped me lose weight (ironically). Anyways if you are trying to lose weight, lowering your calorie intake for too long eventually becomes less and less effective. But a little break and high calorie day really helps to shake up your metabolism so it doesn't get used to low calories. It's called zig zag dieting If you do it properly. It has worked for me - broke me through the plateau.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    I've read things advocating both sides. 1 day per week where you are allowed to eat whatever you want. I am interested to hear what the MyFitnessPal community thinks.

Please cite any sources you may have!

Hi
    I can not cite sources, However I will say a Cheat Day can undo days of Dieting.
    Once a Week a Cheat meal less so. When I have a Large Cheat meal it can take me 4 to 6 days to get back where I was that morning.
    Examples would be, Chinese Food or the Chinese Buffet or the Diner for breakfast or Lunch (Dinner)

For example without cheating You could work in a Skinny Cow Cone at 160 Calories or a Smart Ones Cone at 120 calories.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • Pascooty
    Pascooty Posts: 48 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At the beginning of my MFP journey, a few weeks ago, I had full intentions of having cheat days. However, I started having small "cheats" instead. I don't' call them cheats though; I call it surviving, lol. This is helping me learn that I can have a small amount, to not overdo it. Instead of a whole family size chocolate bar, I'll have a third or a quarter. I feel less like I'm missing out that way. I don't do it every day. There were a few days here and there that I would do that at first. I am learning to only do it on workout days (I only recently started making a deal with myself that it must come from workout calories - I'll see how that goes). Before my journey, I ate too many chocolate and salty snacks pretty much daily.
    Also, if I plan on having a bigger dinner, I try to exercise that day or at least make sure I have enough calories saved for it without sacrificing my macro numbers too much. I'm getting much better with portion control. I do have a bit more than I probably should, at the larger meals, but it is absolutely no where near what I was having before.
    There are items I've learnt I can't have at home yet. Snacks like chips and doritos, I am still not good at stopping myself before I have too many. I've started eating a healthier type of popcorn instead when I'm craving salty munchies. I did this the last couple of days and it has helped a lot, I'm better at keeping the portion at a decent amount.

I think the problem with cheat days is quantity of days and quantity of food on those days (particularly with weight loss goals). If a person has a cheat day every week, that one day can make a bit of a dent in your weight loss goals. Say you are at 1200 calories a day (after the 1000 deficit) if you want to lose 2 lbs a week. If you have one cheat day a week, that is 6 days of 1200 calories. Those 6 days, you ate 6000 less calories because of the deficit, which is 24000 calories less each month... equalling about 6.8 lbs of fat loss. If you did not take those approx. 4 cheat days, you would lose about one more pound of fat. You would have eaten 3200 calories less - one pound of body fat equals about 3500 calories. In 6 months, that's 6 pounds more you could have lost... and so on. Another factor is how much you eat on this cheat day.. that can change the numbers as well, especially if you go over your deficit. This does not factor in exercise. I am merely showing a small example of the impact it can have. Of course, this is fine if you are ok with that. It simply slows down your goal.

I hope that made sense. I'm new to this and learning as well. I can only give advice on what I think might work and any experience, big or small, I may have.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    So much applause for Pascooty above. I can choose to eat whatever I want on any day. I make room for reasonable portions and only indulge in the specific craving. The free for all mentality sort of scares me. I couldn't personally live with a pattern of six days of diet and one free for all. I'd rather integrate this or that into my life and not go nuts with any of it. That way I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle and being mindful about food in the long term.
  • KittKat4105
    KittKat4105 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I cheat day once every 2 weeks, however I still stay at or a bit below my calorie goal, and do my exercise on cheat day, just be smart about it! :)