Tracking salads

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Put bowl on scale. Turn it on. Add lettuce. Write number down. Tare it. Add tomatoes. Write number down. Tare it.

You get the drift.

Some of my salads come up to 400-500 calories so yeah... no estimating here when it takes two seconds to hit a button and write down a number as I add stuff.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. If you use a scale rather than cups you won't overestimate anything.
  • lll109
    lll109 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting me to the test. No scale but I measured a very similar salad today, just the veggies since I always to protein and dressing separately. I was only 30 calories shy! Would rather track a number then not at all and sometimes you just have to guess but now I know and have a set lunch.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I weigh and track each ingredient. I just set my bowl on the scale and tare it after each vegetable/other ingredient until I'm done adding. I keep a notepad by my scale to jot down the numbers. Then add them to my diary while I eat which forces me to eat more slowly. Something I struggle with anyway.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Track each ingredient. I just put my bowl on the scale. Tare the scale. Add the lettuce or whatever. Log it. Tare the scale. Toss the next ingredient in the bowl. Log it. Tare the scale. Add the next ingredient... etc. until I'm done. Just takes a minute or so. Easy peasy and I have an accurate log.

@Ready2Rock206 ---that's an excellent way to weigh each ingredient. Thanks! I've been weighing each ingredient on a separate saucer, then, emptying that saucer into my salad bowl. Your great way of weighing each ingredient will save me so much time, will save effort, and I"ll have to wash less things. :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I list everything on my plate individually and weigh them so I know exactly what I've had
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I never buy salad. $7.00 at Culvers...................for what, mostly lettuce. At that price you could make a lot of salads.

Honestly, is salad really that expensive in the US?!!! I'm really shocked - it's normally about £1 a bag here in the UK.

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I log each item because I am not only watching calories but nutrients as well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    every item to the gram
  • Francl27
    Options
    I never buy salad. $7.00 at Culvers...................for what, mostly lettuce. At that price you could make a lot of salads.

Honestly, is salad really that expensive in the US?!!! I'm really shocked - it's normally about £1 a bag here in the UK.

That was for a salad, not just lettuce, I think. Here a bag is $3 or so, a bit less when on sale, but yeah, not cheap.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Put bowl on scale. Turn it on. Add lettuce. Write number down. Tare it. Add tomatoes. Write number down. Tare it.

You get the drift.

Some of my salads come up to 400-500 calories so yeah... no estimating here when it takes two seconds to hit a button and write down a number as I add stuff.

Is that 400-500 calories from vegetables only? ie not from dressing, nuts, protein, etc.?

I can't even fit 30 cal worth of green mix salad on my plate without getting it overflow!! :)

• Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options

You get the drift.

Is that 400-500 calories from vegetables only? ie not from dressing, nuts, protein, etc.?

I can't even fit 30 cal worth of green mix salad on my plate without getting it overflow!! :)

For me, if I use as much as I like of my favorite Lite Honey Mustard dressing, that alone is easily 250 calories or more. Add the higher calories items like sunflower nuts, a few croutons or wonton strips, raisins, cheese, and protein, and 400-500 comes quickly. Unfortunately. I've had to learn to like salads with less dressing.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can definitely get carried away with my salad too. :)

piccx65p8.jpg
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually track every individual ingredient. I feel like it's more accurate that way!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

You get the drift.

I eat about 170 g of greens, so 60 calories worth. I have to eat it out of a mixing bowl.
  • Francl27
    Options

You get the drift.

Veggies, meat, cheese. I eat out of a mixing bowl, usually. Perfect size for a good portion (I always use 3 ounces of lettuce plus toppings) and enough room to mix it up after (I usually start with the dressing at the bottom, which is just vinegar and mustard for me).

My salad at lunch was 519 calories - spring mix, chicken breast, avocado, gorgonzola, 2 hard boiled eggs. And yeah there's no way it would have fit in a plate.
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I weigh everything. I use to estimate. But it is easy to under estimate, especially adding chicken, cheese, nuts etc and definitely salad dressing, that is the easiest thing to under estimate for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I've never seen a $7 bag of salad. That may be in Canada.

For bagged salads in general, it's cheaper when you buy the components individually, but some people value convenience.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

The salads I get are usually between $1.49 - $2.89.