How to SPEED UP weightloss

Options
13»

Replies

• TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    what you have to watch out for in rapid weight loss is GALLSTONES.. the last thing you want is GALLBLADDER disease and the pain that goes with it.. rapid weight loss does tend to give people GALLSTONES, please be careful.. as GALLSTONES are not fun
  • ConnieCondra
    ConnieCondra Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    38 pounds in 3 months?!?!?! You are blessed. I have been doing Keto since early October and have lost 8.6 lbs. Pick up a measuring tape and see how your body has reshaped itself.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    OMG! That's a lot of weight in just 3 months! You really don't think that's fast? I think shows like "the Biggest Loser" are doing more harm than good, making people think that they should just be able to drop 100 lbs in 3 months. It's more realistic to lose slower. I lost a bunch of weight several years ago, and have kept it off over the years because I lost it slowly. Lost 50 lbs over 2 years. Now, I just want to lose another 20 lbs, and am losing it .5 lb a week.

Be patient. The slower you lose, the more likely you'll keep it off.

This^

You're doing great!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    You're striving after the wrong TV show. Start watching "Naked and Afraid". Those people lose 20 and 30 pounds in 21 days. All you have to do is stay awake all night shivering in 40 degree weather scratching bug bites. Then only eat a snake or a couple of grubs for those three weeks. Totally simple. That's reality TV for ya!

Haha, exactly! Another rapid fat loss strategy is signing up for 'The Island with Bear Grylls'. They spend all day building shelters, collecting water, hunting and mostly not finding food. 1 month later, all I see are abs.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having above average or high expectations. So if you want to do even better than you're doing, and you have the calories and energy to do so, then you could add some extra cardio workouts, increase either intensity or duration or both.

You are recommending losing more than 3lbs a week. That will eat into muscle. Why is that 'better'?
    oh yes, I remember you, you can magic muscle out of thin air so you don't value it like us mere mortals.

The fatter someone is, the less they need to worry about muscle loss, especially if they're getting at least some form of exercise. The people who need to worry about losing muscle are people who are already ultra lean and ripped with very low body fat. The overweight and obese, not so much.

I'm aware of that. You may be right according to this study though. Depends on how much of the body is fat, I still can't believe that someone with 100lb of fat on their body could safely cut this fast though....they are suggesting 30 calories from each pound of fat could be burned a day I think...that's nearly a pound a day. (Zero calories and lots of exercise is a persons Tdee is nearly 3500- incredibly dangerous. Isn't the lowest net limit suggested to be 1200 and it's actually against MFP rules to suggest lower?

I got this from @heybales if I remember right. Yooohooo! is he around to comment?

Body fat burn limit
    add a little piece of data that I found very useful for calculating calorie deficits:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615.

QUOTE:
    Abstract
    A limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia is deduced from experimental data of underfed subjects maintaining moderate activity levels and is found to have a value of (290+/-25) kJ/kgd. A dietary restriction which exceeds the limited capability of the fat store to compensate for the energy deficiency results in an immediate decrease in the fat free mass (FFM). In cases of a less severe dietary deficiency, the FFM will not be depleted. The transition between these two dietary regions is developed and a criterion to distinguish the regions is defined. An exact mathematical solution for the decrease of the FFM is derived for the case where the fat mass (FM) is in its limited energy transfer mode. The solution shows a steady-state term which is in agreement with conventional ideas, a term indicating a slow decrease of much of the FFM moderated by the limited energy transferred from the fat store, and a final term showing an unprotected rapid decrease of the remaining part of the FFM. The average resting metabolic rate of subjects undergoing hypophagia is shown to decrease linearly as a function of the FFM with a slope of (249+/-25) kJ/kgd. This value disagrees with the results of other observers who have measured metabolic rates of diverse groups. The disagreement is explained in terms of individual metabolic properties as opposed to those of the larger population.

Basically, the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from fat stores per day is ~290KJ per kg of body fat, or 31 calories / pound of fat. Anything over that deficit will have to come from other reserves and contributes to underfeeding.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also: I recognize you from your other thread. Go to the gym! No one is watching or judging you. In the time you were dithering about this silly nonproductive stuff you could have taken a nice productive walk.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @Mavrick_RN you always make me laugh!!! You are so right! That show is BRUTAL
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi all my weight loss is really slow! And I know it's not a race but I have heard and seen many success stories of people losing weight faster than me even though their starting weight was similar to mine. (246lbs) it's been 3 months now and all I've lost is 38lbs.what should I do to speed up this weightloss ?!? Please help!!!!

Um. That is not slow.

I'm 3 months in and have lost 22 pounds, and my start weight is higher than yours.

Be content - you are losing very quickly thus far.
  • deanne525
    deanne525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started first week in January. my starting weight was 230lbs and I am down 21lbs now ....its been 3.5 months. 39lbs is beyond awesome...I would be thrilled with that rate of loss. be happy with where you are now!
  • walterskh
    walterskh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree that the reality shows like Biggest Loser make us feel like we should be losing more weight faster...I am sure if we only had to focus on weight loss without any outside factors (family, jobs, etc) plus had people cooking for us and a trainer with us each day...we could achieve a bigger weight loss. I find that the more pressure I put on myself to lose (a certain event) then the worse I do. I get overwhelmed and give up. I have done better by tracking and seeing the little steps and improvements.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    koreangurl wrote: »
    Good pace so would just leave it. But if you insist then dropping your calories or doing more cardio would help.

OP is already losing at a rate faster than is recommended (3 lbs/week). I don't think offering the suggestion of dropping calories or increasing cardio is prudent here.

OP as others have said, you need to have realistic expectations. What is your total weight loss goal? 100 lbs? And you've lost about 1/3 of that already? What is your calorie intake currently? With 75 or so pounds to lose, you really should be set to 1.5 - 2 lb/week loss max.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having above average or high expectations. So if you want to do even better than you're doing, and you have the calories and energy to do so, then you could add some extra cardio workouts, increase either intensity or duration or both.

You are recommending losing more than 3lbs a week. That will eat into muscle. Why is that 'better'?
    oh yes, I remember you, you can magic muscle out of thin air so you don't value it like us mere mortals.

The fatter someone is, the less they need to worry about muscle loss, especially if they're getting at least some form of exercise. The people who need to worry about losing muscle are people who are already ultra lean and ripped with very low body fat. The overweight and obese, not so much.

I'm aware of that. You may be right according to this study though. Depends on how much of the body is fat, I still can't believe that someone with 100lb of fat on their body could safely cut this fast though....they are suggesting 30 calories from each pound of fat could be burned a day I think...that's nearly a pound a day. (Zero calories and lots of exercise is a persons Tdee is nearly 3500- incredibly dangerous. Isn't the lowest net limit suggested to be 1200 and it's actually against MFP rules to suggest lower?

I got this from @heybales if I remember right. Yooohooo! is he around to comment?

Body fat burn limit
    add a little piece of data that I found very useful for calculating calorie deficits:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615.

QUOTE:
    Abstract
    A limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia is deduced from experimental data of underfed subjects maintaining moderate activity levels and is found to have a value of (290+/-25) kJ/kgd. A dietary restriction which exceeds the limited capability of the fat store to compensate for the energy deficiency results in an immediate decrease in the fat free mass (FFM). In cases of a less severe dietary deficiency, the FFM will not be depleted. The transition between these two dietary regions is developed and a criterion to distinguish the regions is defined. An exact mathematical solution for the decrease of the FFM is derived for the case where the fat mass (FM) is in its limited energy transfer mode. The solution shows a steady-state term which is in agreement with conventional ideas, a term indicating a slow decrease of much of the FFM moderated by the limited energy transferred from the fat store, and a final term showing an unprotected rapid decrease of the remaining part of the FFM. The average resting metabolic rate of subjects undergoing hypophagia is shown to decrease linearly as a function of the FFM with a slope of (249+/-25) kJ/kgd. This value disagrees with the results of other observers who have measured metabolic rates of diverse groups. The disagreement is explained in terms of individual metabolic properties as opposed to those of the larger population.

Basically, the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from fat stores per day is ~290KJ per kg of body fat, or 31 calories / pound of fat. Anything over that deficit will have to come from other reserves and contributes to underfeeding.

I'll point out that is not a research study measuring anything.

It's taking data from existing study (that did indeed have lots of data - the MN starvation experiment), and running some math and hoping their formula is actually meaningful to real life.
    Never been tested though.

And the men in the study did lose muscle mass while they lost fat, and while they all weren't obese, they also were no where near ripped until the end, and that's hardly ripped though.

I'd suggest the "study" at most gives a suggestion of perhaps the extreme limit for totally healthy otherwise obese people that are eating really well for what they do get.

And I'm sure that applies to vast majority doing a diet. ;-)

And I'm sure it's great to press your luck and hope you aren't losing muscle mass - because it's so easy to build it back. ;-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    crack0825 wrote: »
    WOW 38LBS IN 3 MONTHS THATS LIKE 17KGS MAN. ITS FAST

Thanks but I really wanted to lose a stone each month and came four pounds short this month so feeling very crap :/

10 pounds in a month is GREAT! (Especially since this was not your first month.)

How tall are you and what's your goal weight?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    crack0825 wrote: »
    WOW 38LBS IN 3 MONTHS THATS LIKE 17KGS MAN. ITS FAST

Thanks but I really wanted to lose a stone each month and came four pounds short this month so feeling very crap :/

Bluntly? That's really freaking stupid. Both the goal (unless you're like 400lbs) and the fact that you "feel very crap" because you didn't hit your completely unrealistic goal but lost a large amount of weight anyway.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

I agree with the poster above - there is no point in setting big goals and then beating yourself up if you don't meet them. Personally I prefer to have a smaller goal, then feel good if I exceed it.
    But. if you want to have an "aspirational" goal, then go for it, but I suggest that you sit back and congratulate yourself for the things you've done right.
    You've lost a stack of weight. You've clearly made some positive changes in the way you eat and move.... why waste your time feeling crap when you've done good stuff for yourself?

I also think that scale weight is a really bad thing to use as your only measurement of success or failure. It is so variable, depending on what you've eaten the day before, whether you've been to the bathroom, medical or hormonal issues in your body.