Protein?

Options
Ckeymom
Ckeymom Posts: 30 Member
Hey everybody! I've lost 36 pounds by eating clean, staying away from as much processed crap as I can, and keeping protein high and carbs low. In order to get more protein, I've been using a casein protein powder. I've recently found out that I have a dairy allergy, so I changed to pea powder. I hate it! Any suggestions for a good dairy free protein powder?

Replies

• kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    check out new whey its 42g of protein dairy free
  • Ckeymom
    Options
    I checked the list of ingredients. It contains casein protein, so I can't have it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

no. do not do this. It's collagen protein which is an incredibly terrible source of protein. It literally has a biological value of 0.

Anyways, i'm lactose free as i just discovered i am lactose intolerant. Some things i recommend trying-

Egg Protein
    Soy Protein
    Hemp Protein
    and if you must-
    Rice Protein

I personally haven't found one that doesn't taste like crap yet, but i'm hopeful and still experimenting. either way, the BV of these proteins and quality of these proteins is leaps and bounds better than collagen. ;)

• Ckeymom
    Options
    I checked the list of ingredients, and it contains casein. It's listed as lactose free, but not dairy free. Thanks anyway! :)
  • Ckeymom
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

no. do not do this. It's collagen protein which is an incredibly terrible source of protein. It literally has a biological value of 0.

Anyways, i'm lactose free as i just discovered i am lactose intolerant. Some things i recommend trying-

Egg Protein
    Soy Protein
    Hemp Protein
    and if you must-
    Rice Protein

I personally haven't found one that doesn't taste like crap yet, but i'm hopeful and still experimenting. either way, the BV of these proteins and quality of these proteins is leaps and bounds better than collagen. ;)

Thanks! I'm still waiting on my referral to a GI, but my primary says I definitely have a dairy allergy. (Which sucks, because...cheese :( ) Anyway, I guess I need to play around with the protein powder I have, to see if I can make it more palatable. It's super yucky, tho!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Whey is dairy.

Soy protein might be an option, look at reviews for Vegan protein like http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-vegan-protein-powders.html
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ckeymom wrote: »
    Hey everybody! I've lost 36 pounds by eating clean, staying away from as much processed crap as I can, and keeping protein high and carbs low. In order to get more protein, I've been using a casein protein powder. I've recently found out that I have a dairy allergy, so I changed to pea powder. I hate it! Any suggestions for a good dairy free protein powder?

I've always liked Hemp protein, not very high in it compared to whey, etc, but it has good fiber and many vitamins and essential nutrients.
  • Ckeymom
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Whey is dairy.

Soy protein might be an option, look at reviews for Vegan protein like http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-vegan-protein-powders.html

Can't do soy. Thyroid disease. Good grief! I'm starting to believe I can't eat anything! Anybody got any good protein shake recipes to make the chalky stuff go down easier?
  • Ckeymom
    Options

I've always liked Hemp protein, not very high in it compared to whey, etc, but it has good fiber and many vitamins and essential nutrients.

Is it chalky?
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Egg Protein
    Soy Protein
    Hemp Protein
    and if you must-
    Rice Protein

Thanks! I'm still waiting on my referral to a GI, but my primary says I definitely have a dairy allergy. (Which sucks, because...cheese :( ) Anyway, I guess I need to play around with the protein powder I have, to see if I can make it more palatable. It's super yucky, tho!

Right now i have 2 lb tubs of both rice protein and pea protein. Nothing i do makes them taste any better, believe me i've tried.

I think i'm going to try these next:

Jay Robb Egg White Protein

EAS Soy Protein
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Whey is dairy.

Can't do soy. Thyroid disease. Good grief! I'm starting to believe I can't eat anything! Anybody got any good protein shake recipes to make the chalky stuff go down easier?

try the egg then! Don't force yourself to eat it if it's terrible :lol:
  • yarwell
    Options
    Are you vegetarian ? There appears some conflict between avoiding processed stuff and using protein powders, the most processed food going.
  • Ckeymom
    Options
    Are you vegetarian ? There appears some conflict between avoiding processed stuff and using protein powders, the most processed food going.

Not a vegetarian, but I have a lot of difficulty getting the recommended amount of protein every day. I like meat, but I could definitely live without it.
  • Ckeymom
    Options

Whey is dairy.

try the egg then! Don't force yourself to eat it if it's terrible :lol:

Thanks! :D This healthy thing can be so frustrating sometimes lol!
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Is it chalky?

more like grainy texture since it's a ground up plant. I use it in a high power blender and don't have any issues (with texture). I have mixed it with almond milk, it doesnt have much flavor. I would mix that, unsweetended almond & cashew milk, a little stevia, and cinnamon.

Mixing it without blending definitely takes time to get use to the texture.

This is the kind I use
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Protein-Fiber-Powder/dp/B00098IHVC/ref=sr_1_12_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460404167&sr=8-12&keywords=hemp+protein+powder
  • yarwell
    Options
    How many grams a day are you shooting for ?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Essential 10 makes a vegan protein powder with pea protein. I have been using it recently and it's pretty tasty.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

Do you mean sensitivity or allergy?
    I also don't like pea protein.
    I do like Garden of Life vegan protein, but it's not cheap.
    Hemp seeds are helpful, as is hemp protein powder. You can sort of make your own protein drink by combining hemp seeds, a handful of nuts or nut butter, and use less of the powder to make the powder last longer.
  • Ckeymom
    Options
    How many grams a day are you shooting for ?

My doctor said to get more than 100 grams a day.
  • Ckeymom
    Options

Do you mean sensitivity or allergy?
    I also don't like pea protein.
    I do like Garden of Life vegan protein, but it's not cheap.
    Hemp seeds are helpful, as is hemp protein powder. You can sort of make your own protein drink by combining hemp seeds, a handful of nuts or nut butter, and use less of the powder to make the powder last longer.

Doctor said allergy, but I really hope not. I hope the GI will say it's just a sensitivity.