Losing weight/building muscle

Options
Hi, I need some advice! I am trying to lose roughly 30 pounds and I would like to begin weight training as well, I need as much info as I can get on how to make this happen. Really just the building muscle component, I'm pretty confident in my ability to lose weight but I don't know the first thing about lifting, muscle tone, etc. or how to work that in to my regular routine. Please help

Replies

• JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle while losing weight. However, I would recommend you start weight training. You can retain muscle with a good diet (high on the protein side) while building up strength and learning form. This way when your done cutting you will be able to put on some muscle without struggling.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of discussion if you can actually build muscle on a calories deficient or not. There have been studies that have shown men gaining muscles, others believe it's impossible and some believe in "nooby gains". I'm actually unsure which is true, however, i have gained a lot of strength while working out.

Best thing for you to do is start lifting, and lifting heavy. Use weight in which you can lift, but struggle to lift towards the end.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle while losing weight. However, I would recommend you start weight training. You can retain muscle with a good diet (high on the protein side) while building up strength and learning form. This way when your done cutting you will be able to put on some muscle without struggling.

This is entirely false. You can build muscle and in turn lose weight at the same time. You may not build as much muscle if you were eating full calories but you can do both. There are some good articles over at bodybuilding.com that discuss this topic. The best thing to start doing is lifing now. Look into programs like 5x5 and similar ones. You will make gains and muscle burns more calories ie fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle while losing weight.
    Not true.
    However, I would recommend you start weight training. You can retain muscle with a good diet (high on the protein side) while building up strength and learning form. This way when your done cutting you will be able to put on some muscle without struggling.
    But this is good advice.

OP - the worst thing that will happen if you add lifting whilst losing weight is that you will maximise the amount of muscle you retain. If you are fortunate, train hard and have a moderate (not excessive) calorie deficit you may add some muscle.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »

This is entirely false. You can build muscle and in turn lose weight at the same time. You may not build as much muscle if you were eating full calories but you can do both. There are some good articles over at bodybuilding.com that discuss this topic. The best thing to start doing is lifing now. Look into programs like 5x5 and similar ones. You will make gains and muscle burns more calories ie fat.

This is true. Many people believe that you can't gain muscle while losing weight, which is not completely true. It all depends on how much weight you have to loose. The more you have, the easier it ease because your body uses the excess fat to meet it's energy requirements to build the necessary muscle thereby replacing the need to eat excess calories. It gets much more difficult the longer you have been lifting and the less fat you have to burn. Go to bodybuilding.com and there are plenty of workouts that you can tailor to your needs as well as videos showing you the proper way to do the exercises. They even have apps you can download to your phone in order to follow the programs while mobile instead of printing out paperwork or buying the book.