I don't have a choice now and it is scaring me.....

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    It's not to late. You know what to do. Just don't jump into the highest intensity exercises.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    First of all, given your father's problems, you were almost certainly raised with unhealthy attitudes about food. To a large extent, it's not your fault. And even if it was, all that maters is what you do tomorrow. Let your son see you learn new habits and take care of yourself. Every day you do that will matter.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Dude. There is no fear on this earth like the panic that sets in after a choice is taken from you, and no pain like regret for not helping yourself from your current situation. I'm very sorry to hear about your issue.

That being said, you're in the right place. You have doctors that are aware of your diagnosis, and can help point you to the kinds of resources that will help you. Listen to THEM (doctors, dietitians, trainers) over people on mfp. This is a great place for moral support, but the professionals working with you are the closest to the truth.

So first things first! :) speak with your doctor and ask how much physical activity your heart can handle. This way, you can manage your body without hurting it. next, ask your doctor to recommend you to a dietitian, not a nutritionist (one has a degree, one does not). Get with your new dietitian and have them break down the basics of nutrition for you, have the help you formulate a meal plan that will help you both shed weight and heal any damage to your heart. Once you have that plan, stick to it. Throw out the snacks, replace all food in your house with things that will help you, not hurt you. It helps eliminate cravings if you're not staring down the calorie-rich nutrient-dry stuff all day. Fizzy waters in place of sodas, mixed nuts instead of chips, etc. Making the switch is difficult, but worth it.

Finally, wait. It takes a very long time for a healthy body to shed weight, and in your situation, it's going to be even tougher. You may have to wait for the diet to cut your weight before you are "allowed" to exercise, if your condition is looming. It's going to be hard. But hard doesn't mean impossible, and you can do this. You raised a KID, the hardest job in history. You've got this. Sure it took a kick in the pants, but you're gonna pull through this because you have the power to arm yourself with the tools you need. And everyone on this site is cheering for you.

I am loving this anwer. I have almost nothing to add. Create a support network on here, believe in yourself, do it for your son, for yourself, for both, for whatever works. You have the tools to do it and you NEED to do it, but best of all you CAN do it, we are all doing it. Feel free to add me for support if you want. Sending you positive thoughts x
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    I highly recommend reading Dr Michael Greger (MD) book How Not To Die.
    "It examines the fifteen top causes of death in America—heart disease, various cancers, diabetes, Parkinson’s, high blood pressure, and more—and explains how nutritional and lifestyle interventions can sometimes trump prescription pills and other pharmaceutical and surgical approaches, freeing us to live healthier lives"

I have read the book, the information is literally life changing and it makes the journey to a healthier life nearly idiot proof. Dr. Greger breaks down the foods you should eat every day, and how much, to see the best health results based on science. Not bro-science, REAL science, all claims have the studies cited.

If you aren't down for buying the book, check out some of the talks he has done - "Food as Medicine"
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    If you're still breathing it's not too late! You're stronger than you think;) Thank God for that heartbeat in your chest and that He has a purpose for your life:) You've got this:) The first step is always the hardest.

That

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have a MFP friend who weighed 700 lbs......Yes ,you read right SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS........he has been diligent and has been thru lots of medical issues, BUT HE IS HANGIN IN THERE.........he is now at 280 and looks great, but wants to lose about 65 lbs and he will be happy.........

you only need to lose about 90 lbs........he has to lose 500 lbs to his desired goals.......can you imagine
    and he is older than you

just be patient, COMMIT to it and this time next year you will be so happy with your loss......best wishes
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/TannunisFred

check out his profile....hes a nice guy, friend him, he will support you....he has been thru the ringer, yet he lost 420 lbs..............best wishes, you can do it
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    OP - of course you are scared, that's only natural and it sounds like you feel everything is spiraling out of your control, with your heart problem it's causing old fears and memories to slap you down hard.

As you yourself have said you are an experienced dieter...you have history with losing and regaining and that believe it or not gives you an advantage. Use this wake-up call time to critically assess why your previous methods didn't work for you and implement change that is sustainable.

Use whatever resources are available to you so you can be an active and informed participant on your road to recovering you health. As this will empower you and help you realize that you most definitely DO have the capacity to change your life around.

Seek counselling if that is appropriate to deal with these overwhelming negative thoughts and the anxiety. Listen to your Dr's and don't be afraid to ask questions about what you can do to help them help you. Get the help of a dietitian if it's needed. Use MFP correctly. Incorporate sustainable small steps everyday and most importantly step back from spiraling down into self-blame and panic, that won't help you.

I wish you all the best.

• CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    I feel like it is too late to rectify this situation and that is what scares me the most. I feel like I am living with a ticking time bomb in my chest, which is just waiting to explode.

I'm having a pity party, I know, but this really scares me. I was 32 when I lost my dad and it wrecked my world - I can't imagine being my son and possibly losing his mom at 12.

I don't know what to do....ugh

Weight loss, healthy eating, and doctor approved exercise may be in order but first you need to get your stress levels under control. You said you're really scared and high levels of stress, anxiety and depression are not good for your heart. If you don't have someone to talk to and relax with, find someone. Maybe a church, a community event. or a therapist. You can get all the diet advice (like how the Mediterranean diet is good for the heart) and exercise advice (how yoga is relaxing) you need from people on MFP but being able to relax and not let your problems stress you out is super important.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    A thought that was meaningful to me (read it somewhere)....Losing 10% is an improvement in health. Another 10% even better and so on. Break it down and know that each stage is worth it. It's not just at goal weight where the health benefits happen. It's along the way too.
  • sobenpeace
    sobenpeace Posts: 3 Member
    I have been on a "weight loss" journey for as long as I can remember. I have went up and down over the last 12 years (since my son was born) and lost a lot of weight, gain it back, lost it, gained it back, etc. I'm currently 42 years old and 298 pounds - it's an awful feeling.

What's worse about it this time around is I have absolutely NO choice but to lose this weight and do it now. They just found a blockage in my heart on a CT scan last week. The blockage is in the left anterior descending artery and is known as the "widowmaker". My liver enzymes are also elevated as is my cholesterol and glucose.

And the sad thing is - I knew exactly what I was doing. My father died at 52 from coronary artery disease and heart failure and weighed almost 500 pounds. I knew how this would turn out for me if I didn't change things and I just sat there, on my a**, doing nothing.

I feel like it is too late to rectify this situation and that is what scares me the most. I feel like I am living with a ticking time bomb in my chest, which is just waiting to explode.

I'm having a pity party, I know, but this really scares me. I was 32 when I lost my dad and it wrecked my world - I can't imagine being my son and possibly losing his mom at 12.

I don't know what to do....ugh

Look into this group fitness on fire and see if they can help you. You can do this! Start at a slow pace until your able to do more and more.
  • sobenpeace
    sobenpeace Posts: 3 Member
    Look into this group fitness on fire and see if they can help you. You can do this! Start at a slow pace until your able to do more and more.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    lloydrt wrote: »

check out his profile....hes a nice guy, friend him, he will support you....he has been thru the ringer, yet he lost 420 lbs..............best wishes, you can do it

Yup, this is the guy I mentioned. OP, he is amazing and inspirational and loves to share his journey. Please look him up.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member

Yup, this is the guy I mentioned. OP, he is amazing and inspirational and loves to share his journey. Please look him up.

Whoops, it was a different thread where I mentioned him. Fred's getting lots of love today :smile:
  • KippenandBeau
    KippenandBeau Posts: 1 Member
    Chat to your doctor and a dietician. Work on a new relationship with food and get help with finding new non-food coping strategies. Yes it's scary to not have a choice, but at least you know where the goal posts are and have something definite to aim for.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Just wanted to offer my encouragement and good wishes. :) Obviously, you'll need to work closely with your doctor(s) on this, but it is not too late. I agree with others that the mental/emotional aspect of this is key right now. It's a scary situation, but at least you know about it and can now take steps to address it. Do your best to stay positive and try not dwell on the past or scary scenarios. One day at a time.
  • HollyFromTexas
    HollyFromTexas Posts: 29 Member
    Its not too late. You can change your life. You are capable. I feel so much for you reading your post. The road seems long but its worth it. Hugs from Texas.
  • I'm sure what I'm going to say has already been said. But I want to send some love your way.
    It's a process and it will take an large amount of time, energy, and commitment that feels overwhelming and impossible...but it's not. It sounds like you know what struggle is and you're still here standing. That's something to celebrate!
    If I can offer any advice it would be to take it one step at a time, literally and figuratively.
    Start slow so you don't burn out.
    Find an exercise that you don't dread doing but actually enjoy (mine is power walking while pushing my son in his stroller, yoga, and hip hop dance. Any other exercises can suck it, I just won't do it
    Meditate, it helps with the anxiety, your ability to focus, and leaves you feeling renewed.
    Please don't beat yourself up anymore. Focus on what you can do right NOW. Not what you did wrong last year or last week or what you feel like you won't be able to accomplish tomorrow. Be kind to yourself.
    And reach out for support as much as possible. Therapy, friends, family, your doctor. I get a lot of support and motivation from MFP friends. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.

You got this!
    xox
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member

Wow - I am blown away by @TannunisFred awe inspiring achievements. Well done Fred you are just incredible. <3

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Dude. There is no fear on this earth like the panic that sets in after a choice is taken from you, and no pain like regret for not helping yourself from your current situation. I'm very sorry to hear about your issue.

That being said, you're in the right place. You have doctors that are aware of your diagnosis, and can help point you to the kinds of resources that will help you. Listen to THEM (doctors, dietitians, trainers) over people on mfp. This is a great place for moral support, but the professionals working with you are the closest to the truth.

So first things first! :) speak with your doctor and ask how much physical activity your heart can handle. This way, you can manage your body without hurting it. next, ask your doctor to recommend you to a dietitian, not a nutritionist (one has a degree, one does not). Get with your new dietitian and have them break down the basics of nutrition for you, have the help you formulate a meal plan that will help you both shed weight and heal any damage to your heart. Once you have that plan, stick to it. Throw out the snacks, replace all food in your house with things that will help you, not hurt you. It helps eliminate cravings if you're not staring down the calorie-rich nutrient-dry stuff all day. Fizzy waters in place of sodas, mixed nuts instead of chips, etc. Making the switch is difficult, but worth it.

Finally, wait. It takes a very long time for a healthy body to shed weight, and in your situation, it's going to be even tougher. You may have to wait for the diet to cut your weight before you are "allowed" to exercise, if your condition is looming. It's going to be hard. But hard doesn't mean impossible, and you can do this. You raised a KID, the hardest job in history. You've got this. Sure it took a kick in the pants, but you're gonna pull through this because you have the power to arm yourself with the tools you need. And everyone on this site is cheering for you.

I could not have said it better myself. This is awesome.

The old saying goes, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You can do this. Start with your doctor, a registered dietician, and an exercise physiologist. Do it for yourself, and for your son. We've got your six. Go.