Now I have to eat more :(

Options
I stay pretty active and the more cals I burn in the app the more cals I have to take in. I thought for losing weight you want to have a deficit at the end of the day? May sound like a stupid question... Also my friend said if you don't eat 1,000 cals that day my fitness pal doesn't track it? I'm not used to eating so often! I'm gonna be full all the time it seems like. I'm used to going for 8 hours in the middle of the day without eating.. This is gonna be a challenge for me...

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can eat at any time you want to. Leave an 8 hour gap if you like it. Are you trying to maintain, gain, or lose weight?
  • boots4409
    boots4409 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose fat and gain muscle
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    boots4409 wrote: »
    Trying to lose fat and gain muscle

Well you're not going to do both at once unfortunately.
  • boots4409
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How so? Weight training helps you burn fat and gain muscle...
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    I'll settle for losing fat first hah

Good choice ;)
  • Cynsonya
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Your deficit is already built in to your daily allowance. Whatever you set MFP to lose (.5ppw,1ppw,2ppw) has already been figured in. So ideally you would eat the whole number of calories you're allotted. When you add exercise MFP is designed to eat back those calories. Most only eat a portion of them back as the numbers aren't always accurate for burns. Maybe start with eating 50% back. Then reassess after 4-6 weeks.

As for food timing, it doesn't matter. Eat whenever you're most comfortable doing so. I work 14 hour days twice a week and usually don't eat a thing other than a protein shake on the way in. So you can still have your 8 hour no food window. If you're having trouble getting to the calorie number try adding calorie dense foods like nuts, avocado, and oils.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Weight training burns calories, not fat.

Eating in a deficit burns fat while lifting helps retain muscle.

Eating in a surplus while progressive resistance training builds muscle.
  • boots4409
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Weight training burns calories, not fat.

Eating in a deficit burns fat while lifting helps retain muscle.

Eating in a surplus while progressive resistance training builds muscle.

Super helpful, thank you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    MFP will track your calories even if less than 1000. However for health &nutrition reasons women should net at least 1200 when trying to lose weight. If you're overweight, you've been eating more than that so it shouldn't be a problem to eat a healthy amount. Lots of people here exercise a lot & are able to consume proper calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    MFP will track your calories even if less than 1000. However for health &nutrition reasons women should net at least 1200 when trying to lose weight. If you're overweight, you've been eating more than that so it shouldn't be a problem to eat a healthy amount. Lots of people here exercise a lot & are able to consume proper calories.

And some success stories have been achieved without exercise. You do lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym.