My fitness pal calories

Options
I'm wondering how accurate the calories would be on this site? Are these what everyone calculates themselves? Sometimes I notice that my recipes don't have how many servings a recipe makes and I don't want to have to measure out how many, lol. It can be so time consuming to do that and messy for example scooping out Mac and cheese or soup, etc. Any tips on which recipes are most reliable? Also for pork BBQ, it gets tricky because there's no accurate calorie amount for that either. For a pork tenderloin from Costco, that shows up but then how do I calculate the BBQ sauce that I put on with it when I wouldn't be eating that full container. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You entire the number of servings if you make the recipe. Recipe builder solves all these problems.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You entire the number of servings if you make the recipe. Recipe builder solves all these problems.

The problem is many times the servings aren't listed in recipe and I'm too lazy to measure out servings to figure this out :neutral:

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    joobey wrote: »

The problem is many times the servings aren't listed in recipe and I'm too lazy to measure out servings to figure this out :neutral:

:|:|
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sloppy inputs = sloppy results.

No one else knows your recipe (and if you don't measure, you don't either).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

:|:|:|
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You have to do the work for your recipes. You can't just go logging someone else's homemade meals. You have no idea what they put in there. Weigh your ingredients before hand, weigh the final product, split the servings. I usually just record a whole recipe as one serving and split it accordingly.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

You're going to have lots of fun dieting.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Just saying I've lost 15 lbs in 3 months so I wouldn't say those are sloppy results lol :wink:

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

:|:|:|

:|:|:|:|
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

You're going to have lots of fun dieting.

Lol I've lost 15 lbs in 3 months and exercise every day I'm having lots of fun but just was asking :wink:

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    the more weight you loose the less calories your body will burn so the measurements will have to be more accurate. You will hit a plateau - then measurements will count more
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Don't measure it out by volume. Weigh it, and either decide how many grams you want to be a serving, or enter the total number of grams as the total number of servings, and when you log it, just enter the number of grams in your portion as the number of servings. Not messy at all, and very little effort involved. If you can exercise every day, you can certainly manage to weigh your food.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    JSF
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're making a casserole type recipe. . Weigh your empty pot first, write down the number. Then weigh your finished product and deduct the weight of the empty pot. Say you end up with 2500g of food, In the recipe builder (you have to use this), mark it as 2500 servings. When you serve it onto your plate and it comes to 500g for example, then you add 500 servings to your diary.

It really is easier than it sounds. You only need to add a recipe once, and then it's there for future use.

Generic recipes could be hundreds of calories off either way, you really have no idea...
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    Don't measure it out by volume. Weigh it, and either decide how many grams you want to be a serving, or enter the total number of grams as the total number of servings, and when you log it, just enter the number of grams in your portion as the number of servings. Not messy at all, and very little effort involved. If you can exercise every day, you can certainly manage to weigh your food.

Gotcha. That makes sense. I do weigh or measure all of my food but when I come up with my own recipes, I haven't done this. Many times the recipes I do use are on here so it gives accurate calculations. But then there are those that aren't. Sometimes I've noticed green check marks on the calories listed..I guess that mpf does that? Anyway, sorry to be confusing but my husband just started doing this and had some questions.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Just saying I've lost 15 lbs in 3 months so I wouldn't say those are sloppy results lol :wink:

Congrats on achieving your goals!

Sounds like you have it all figured out.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    If you're making a casserole type recipe. . Weigh your empty pot first, write down the number. Then weigh your finished product and deduct the weight of the empty pot. Say you end up with 2500g of food, In the recipe builder (you have to use this), mark it as 2500 servings. When you serve it onto your plate and it comes to 500g for example, then you add 500 servings to your diary.

It really is easier than it sounds. You only need to add a recipe once, and then it's there for future use.

Generic recipes could be hundreds of calories off either way, you really have no idea...

Thanks! This makes total sense. I guess I pretty much use recipes that are online and match up to what is on here but for those cases I don't, I guess I've been using other people's approximates or use restaurants knowing that theirs would be even more calories most likely than mine and I err on the side of caution and use more calories than less. I just ran into a problem with making pork BBQ (hubby made it) and didn't know if we should just estimate the Costco pork loin that's listed with the amount of grams that I weighed and add more calories for the BBQ sauce. I get a bit OCD with this at times haha and do want to be sure I'm accurate so I'm not losing any calories I could be eating as well as not counting enough. I am losing though so that's good at least! Thanks again!

• Losewtforlife4him
    Options

Congrats on achieving your goals!

Sounds like you have it all figured out.

Thanks! Well obviously I don't have it all figured out haha. My husband has just started doing this so he was asking some questions. Most of my meals that I make are cut and dry or the recipes are online and so the calories per serving are many times on here. But for those cases that they aren't, I've always just tried to find one that sounds like my recipe and I can sorta know approx what the calories or serving will be but I do want to do it right too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have had many a headaches when My hubby cooks. He makes this stirfry with a bajillion different sauces and ingredients, so I had to just wing it and guesstimate the amounts he used..
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    I have had many a headaches when My hubby cooks. He makes this stirfry with a bajillion different sauces and ingredients, so I had to just wing it and guesstimate the amounts he used..

I know what you mean and I bet that stir fry is yummy!