6 week ab challenge for wimps, Starts 4/11/16

Options
Shoebacha1
Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
I want to target my core. I hate ab work outs, so figured creating a challenge would help. Start by taking a picture of your abs for your before picture. Then, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I will post a different ab exercise for us to do. On the last day, May 23rd, take a picture of your abs for the after picture. Since this is my first challenge and I am very out of shape, the work outs will be only 3 sets of 10 reps or 3 sets of minute timed sessions. Depending on how well this goes, I will increase on next challenge.

Replies

• superStar279
    superStar279 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll do the challenge. Let's go for it!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff you know about this stuff, or anyone else knowledgeable?

Is it actually realistic to see any visual change in abs over a 6wk period from just 3x10 reps of an exercise daily? Assuming, and this is the biggest factor, but assuming no weight loss/fat loss through diet/ calorie deficit. I get that most people will lose weight over 6wks which will help in the definition of any abs muscles regardless, but what if you're already at maintenance?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I am no where near maintenance and I posted this challenge for beginners like me. I am exercising by swimming, horseback riding, walking and skating but have trouble with motivation to do strength building, especially abs. I have a hurt elbow right now limiting my ability to do upper body strength building, and my legs are in exceptional shape from the exercising I do. This is a beginners challenge. I imagine any effort in addition to none will make a difference after 6 weeks.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I have made my food diary public, so anyone who joins the challenge can see what I am eating. I am in the process of a life style change, not a diet. I am fighting a life long glucose disorder (PCOS) and am in this for the long haul. Future challenges I assume will be more challenging, but this is just to get a habit formed and to work my body into a life long program slowly without injury, over exhaustion or discouragement from lack of immediate results. If I take it slow, I expect slow results. To each their own.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Ok, first day! Today and tomorrow, do at leat 3 set of 10. Wednesday we will have another to add.

Crunch
    Targets: Upper abdominals

Lying flat on the ground with knees bent and hands behind the head, push lower back into the ground and lift upper back off the ground and slightly forward.
  • joymomrn4
    joymomrn4 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'll join the challenge! Even if I do ab workout during regular exercises, I will add these!
  • katiey1123
    katiey1123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm joining too!
    Thanks for creating this challenge, I hope we all achieve our goals. Good luck to everyone xx
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Thanks for joining! I hope you enjoy it. :)
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Here is your ab routine for today and tomorrow:
    3 X 10 Each

Crunch

Lying flat on the ground with knees bent and hands behind the head, push lower back into the ground and lift upper back off the ground and slightly forward.

Vertical Leg Crunch

Lie flat on the floor with lower back pressed to the ground. Place hands behind head. Extend legs straight up, crossed at the ankles with a slight bend in the knee. Contract abdominal muscles by lifting torso toward knees. Make sure to keep chin off your chest with each contraction. Exhale as you contract upward; inhale as you return to the starting position.
  • smstoller
    smstoller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to join, am a couple of days behind here
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Thats ok. Glad to have you!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Great idea!!!
  • jenn7129
    jenn7129 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join this challenge?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Not at all! You can start with today's. :)
  • wolvesrule31
    wolvesrule31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in too!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Just finished mine. You feeling the burn, too?
  • wolvesrule31
    wolvesrule31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did mine last night but I don't think I'm doing the vertical leg crunch properly I didn't feel anything while I was doing it.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    I want to target my core. I hate ab work outs, so figured creating a challenge would help.

Just to clarify, your "core" is a lot more than just your abs. Your back, hips, and thighs are part of your core. Discovering that fact radically changed my "core workouts" for the better. (And, yes, I still hate ab work!)
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    I did mine last night but I don't think I'm doing the vertical leg crunch properly I didn't feel anything while I was doing it.

I sure did! The vertical leg crunch got me to muscle failure. Are you making sure to keep your chin off your chest? Keeping you neck straight increases effect greatly.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    I want to target my core. I hate ab work outs, so figured creating a challenge would help.

Just to clarify, your "core" is a lot more than just your abs. Your back, hips, and thighs are part of your core. Discovering that fact radically changed my "core workouts" for the better. (And, yes, I still hate ab work!)

I agree whole heartedly. Some of the future exercises for this challenge include these areas. :)