Awake longer, more food?

Options
So this is not something that happens consistently in my life, but I am a night shift worker and it just so happens that today I'm staying awake for about 22 hours. Normally I am awake for no more than 18 hours, usually less on days that I work but I had to fit in a doctors appt and I have to stay late at work in the morning. So... If I wasn't hungry I wouldn't be wondering this, but is it okay to eat more if I'm awake longer than normal? Technically I'm only eating at maintenance, so worst thing is that I don't burn any fat today. Normally I eat 1780, today I'm eating around 1900. I'm 5'4 and 122 pounds. Any opinions?

Replies

• AmandaGaulding
    AmandaGaulding Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that I AM eating more today because I am honestly hungry, I just ate the other half of a Lenny and Larry's cookie that I originally was not going to eat. But I'm still curious as to what people think
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Well, hmmm since your day is a lot longer than normal, how about you split the calories into two days? Being awake from 18-20 hours is a LONG time, and I would not blame you at all for eating more lol Try maybe setting a time for when you cut your calories off for the day, and maybe log it as the next day? That's the only practical advice I can give unless you can get some more sleep in :) (in which you should try too) >.<
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I dont think that the fact you are awake longer means you can eat more unless it means you are more active than normal. One day of eating an extra 120 cal isnt going to derail you completely. Though the lack of sleep might mean you hold some water weight. It also looks like your at teh lower end of a healthy BMI so I really hope you dont stress too much over a few extra calories.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I dont think that the fact you are awake longer means you can eat more unless it means you are more active than normal. One day of eating an extra 120 cal isnt going to derail you completely. Though the lack of sleep might mean you hold some water weight. It also looks like your at teh lower end of a healthy BMI so I really hope you dont stress too much over a few extra calories.

Well she is awake for 18 hours and working, so I assume it means she can eat more. Not necesarily MORE, but what she would normally eat if she were awake 10-12 hours, then another 10-12 hour day. Idk its kinda hard to explain how I'm thinking about it .lol
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Maybe an extra banana.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm an overnight worker as well. I have my "meals" in my diary programmed as 4 hour intervals. Regardless of whether I have a work day, or non work day, I try to eat at my regularly programmed target. However, having it broken up like that, I am able to space my calories out better on days that I'm awake longer.

If you're feeling hungry though, first thing I'd try is a big glass of water. Sometimes you're body just needs some more hydration and it confuses thirst with hunger. If you're still hungry like an hour or so later, have some slow energy like fibrous fruits and vegetables or a protein snack.
  • cayman07
    cayman07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am not a night worker but some times long days yesterday was 5:00am to 11pm a lot will depend what you do in that time, fortunately or not was driving for a big chunk in the morning, so ate breakfast normal then didn't eat till normal lunch time, snack in afternoon (Apple) then dinner, in the evening I had a banana and satsuma but staggered to keep blood sugar evenish, managed to end day bang on calorie and a long one.

Not easy mind need to keep busy to keep hunger thoughts away :)
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would use the average calorie allotment, but include more caffeine, and log how many calories burnt. On my wall, I include calories burnt at work, which is a lot. Feel free to add me, anyone.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do an average over the course of a week.
    On days you are up, eat more. On days you sleep, eat less. <3
  • Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have something similar every couple of weeks in my schedule, and what I do is add a small extra meal, usually a peanut butter sandwich. And I often have a lower calorie day some other time ibn the week to make up for it. My job is very sedentary so I try to be a bit active on those days too, although I can't fit in a big workout. Seems to be working ok.
  • killielila
    killielila Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I guess over the week it would even out . If you do a 22 hour day monday then tuesday an 18 hour but weds you have an early night /long lie and sleep for 12 hours straight . Unless you sleep eat the calories in calories out will balance . One of the problems with mfp is that our bodys dont know that the clock ticked over to a new tracking day .... although in past ive used that as an excuse forlate night early morning junk food binge after anight out
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Look at your weekly calorie intake instead of daily.
  • AmandaGaulding
    AmandaGaulding Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for all the awesome replies!! I ate at maintenance yesterday and woke up weighing the same, so all went well. Unfortunately I had to wake up and go back to work again today, but I will most like sleep a little later when I get off work in the morning just to get my 9 hours. I'm much happier with 8-9 hours of sleep as opposed to 6-7