Exercise calories

Is there a way if setting MFP to only add back in 50% of exercise calories? At the moment I do the sums to make sure my calories remaining equals half my exercise calories given by Fitbit.
Any thoughts?
Paula

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Best to NOT log exercise. Instead just eat an unrecorded extra 100 cals on workout days.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    You can add your own exercise and put whatever calories you want for it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    You could alter the MFP calories when you add an exercise to show just 50% of the burn....
    ps Fitbit is pretty accurate, so if its syncing with MFP then don't log any step related exercise on here or it will double up.
    Eat at deficit (5%-20% depending on how much you have to lose) of your Fitbit numbers and you will lose weight.
  • avonarlene86
    avonarlene86 Posts: 23 Member
    You could half the time you log? So log 30mins on the treadmill instead of 60mins, for example, and eat back only those calories?
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I change the MFP calorie calculation to suit my needs, choosing to add only 5-30% of calories back, depending on the exercise and how inaccurate MFP's calculation is.

A prime example of this is yoga/pilates. MFP tells me that 60 minutes burned 250 calories. Maybe some people in some classes might. But I spent 60 minutes on my back doing some stretches, a couple crunches and some leg lifts. Definitely lots of benefits to be reaped, calorie burn not among them. So I usually change those entries to 1 calorie. Strength training if it's intense, I will add closer to 50% because it makes me hungrier and my muscles need fuel to recover.

MFP doesn't allow you to choose a specific percentage (which would be nice), so you do need to figure out the percentages yourself (or estimate). However, for 50%, that's fairly simple as you're just dividing in half.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    I don't track calories burned from exercise at all. I simply focus on hitting my set calorie goal and adjust it when my weight progression stagnates.

For example, what I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • Thank you for all the replies, I will keep going as I am as I need the idea that some foods/treats need to be exercised for - to me they taste better that way :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Best to NOT log exercise. Instead just eat an unrecorded extra 100 cals on workout days.

so not the way MFP is designed.

Best to log exercise and eat back half esp since MFP is based on NEAT.