can't cut the pop

Options

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Bourbon and coke
    I'm more of a jack and coke with lime...
    crap now i want one. or three.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you like it you should drink it. If you want to stop drinking it, then stop drinking it, but please don't frame it as an addiction. I stopped drinking sodas about 2.5 years ago, and didn't notice anything different about life.
    I was finally able to quit smoking about a month ago, and that was HELL.
    If you want to stop, stop. You aren't chemically addicted to soda.
    If you want to drink them, drink them, they probably aren't that bad for you.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have one diet coke a day and I'm fine with that. Everything in moderation! I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink coffee or tea nor do I smoke, do drugs, or eat sweets so one diet coke a day is fine. Stop overthinking it. Enjoy!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Better in taste or better for you ? I go real Coke as the others have no calories so they don't really satisfy. A lot of 'diet foods' have been shown (by some studies - google it) to hinder weight loss. The sugar substitutes in the zero cal drinks are really dangerous (more studies). Coke itself has the calories so it satiates but will give you that 'crash' afterwards. I went from 1-2 cans per day to none at all - a bit jittery in the first week but after that the pounds just fell off me (I kid you not !). A little bit more to it than that to lose it but it was a big help. I now drink it sparingly.

There has yet to be any evidence that artificial sweeteners like aspartame are harmful.

This is just one article about that lack of evidence: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198517/

In some people, artificial sweeteners cause an increase in food/sugar cravings.

This is not true of all people.

I can substitute a diet soda for a snack if I'm going to be eating within an hour or so. It satiates me just fine.

~Lyssa

More than that, there have been multiple reviews of the available research, that have come to a conclusion that is pretty rare in science.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

Assuring you that it is safe without a doubt is not something you see a lot. Goes to show just how friggin' much research has been done on that for such a long time.

Bookmarked. Thank you. That's a good read for all the "Oh noez, TEH POIZONZZZZ!" people. But then again, most of their minds are already made up and no amount of science will overcome their fearmongering.

[ETA:] As to the OP, I can't tell you what your tastes are, but I prefer Diet Coke. Drink whichever one tastes best to you, there's no harm in drinking diet soda in moderation.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    papetto wrote: »
    I never liked soda, but diet anything is bad for you. Just drink the real soda.

You got evidence to back up that claim? I've drank diet coke for as long as I can remember, never once has it effected my health in a "bad" way.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    better for what? I prefer to use soda calories on beer so coke is out for me. I cant have too much caffeine so my preference is coke zero over diet coke. My preference though is sprite zero or diet sprite.
  • tessr760
    tessr760 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    have you tried zevia? it's zero calorie and doesn't have all the artificial junk in it. I haven't tried the Coke flavor but from what I have tried it's pretty good. they sell it at whole foods and on jet.com
  • cnurenasue
    cnurenasue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I vote for Jack and Coke :smiley: but have you tried sparkling water with a fresh squeezed orange? I really like that and it's a change of pace.
  • taniaxmichele
    taniaxmichele Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know excessive amounts are not great for your body, so I try and have 2 or less a day as I end up craving them really badly otherwise! I think Diet is the better one...?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    tessr760 wrote: »
    have you tried zevia? it's zero calorie and doesn't have all the artificial junk in it. I haven't tried the Coke flavor but from what I have tried it's pretty good. they sell it at whole foods and on jet.com
    Lol, zevia is "artificially" processed and cans of the soda aren't pulled off of trees. It's always humorous to hear statements of "natural" when it comes to processed products.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Diet or the real stuff either way is incredibly sweet stuff and helps to maintain or nuture a good healthy sweet tooth!
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    but that's the best I can do right now.

I call BS. Just stop drinking it. You want a pop? Load up on water instead.

• laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Diet cola is fine. The only thing to be aware of is that it is acidic, so it is still not great for your teeth if you drink it throughout the day, even if it doesn't have sugar in. :-)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Bourbon and coke
    That would depend on the bourbon. I prefer Kraken and Coke. Makers and Coke as a backup.

Drink whatever you want as long as it fits into your calories. Today, I'm going for Dr. Pepper. No rum, I'm at work. :frowning:

I like both of you. Kraken and Coke all the way. And not Diet Coke for me, regular Coke.

But to answer the OP. I prefer regular Coke because I do not like the taste of artificial sweeteners and they give me a headache. So for me regular Coke is better if I can fit it in my calorie goal. If you can get down to one per day and it fits in your goals go for it. But pick the soda that you prefer.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have always loved pop and have been able to get it down to drinking one can a day but that's the best I can do right now. So, my question is what is better:
    Coke
    Coke Zero
    Diet Coke

I would say regular if its not often as there's new study that show more weight gain from diet sodas
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have always loved pop and have been able to get it down to drinking one can a day but that's the best I can do right now. So, my question is what is better:
    Coke
    Coke Zero
    Diet Coke

I would say regular if its not often as there's new study that show more weight gain from diet sodas

You cannot gain weight from something that has no calories.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    tessr760 wrote: »

Meh, Zevia. It's still a processed product. The root beer flavor is decent, but the cola isn't anything like Coke at all. If someone likes Coke products, they probably won't like the Zevia cola. And compared to Coke products, it's stupid expensive...

I'm a Coke Zero fan, but Diet Coke will do if that's all that's available.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Coke
    Coke Zero
    Diet Coke

You cannot gain weight from something that has no calories.

It leads to kidney failure, http://www.webmd.com/diet/20091102/diet-sodas-hard-on-the-kidneys

And this is the Harvard study showing its ok in small amounts but overall can cause weight gain,

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    phd051809s.gif