What's the WHY in your fitness routine?

Options
2»

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Walking is my 'me' time, i just enjoy nature and relax for a few hours. So relaxing. I have a baby, a kid and a pre-teen, so really it's the only peace i get.

Lifting... well i like to hulk out. Me and my little bitty muscles. I feel so strong and powerful afterwards, and i daydream about how super strong i will be one day. Makes me happy.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    To defeat giant robots of course!

Boy, what a silly thing to say. Grow up.

Personally I want to be as brutal as possible for the zombie apocalypse. Duh.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I feel awesome during and after I workout. I put my earbuds in and get in my zone, nothing else matters. I feel like if I can do this, I can do anything. I'm working towards a goal and I will get there :)
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It lets me eat more.

And I like feeling strong and fit I guess too.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I just love it. The atmosphere in the gym, the struggle against the weight, hanging from the pull up bar squeaking out that last rep. Love to see what my body is capable of...
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm with @Tiptoetherat. I only do it because I can do pilates while laying down in A/C and because the dogs like to be walked.
    If the dogs weren't around the walk wouldn't be either.
    I have NEVER found/experienced those so called "exercise endorphins".
    I much prefer to "do something" instead of exercise, like competitive sailing. Sadly it is too hot here 90% of the year to even open the windows let alone actually "do" an activity.
  • zoemay101
    zoemay101 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    Walking is my 'me' time, i just enjoy nature and relax for a few hours. So relaxing. I have a baby, a kid and a pre-teen, so really it's the only peace i get.

Lifting... well i like to hulk out. Me and my little bitty muscles. I feel so strong and powerful afterwards, and i daydream about how super strong i will be one day. Makes me happy.

This! Except I just have two kids under three.

I appreciate this thread cos I don't have any major goals other than knowing I am really enjoy working out and am finding it more and more important to carve out the time. And then enjoying seeing my body able to do more agility stuff and cope with day to day stresses due to better strength and flexibility

• MusclenMascara
    MusclenMascara Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mainly the sense of accomplishment for me. I'm a full time working parent so having some 'me' time and investing in myself in an awesome feeling. I wouldn't be without it!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I was a cardio junky. Now I realize in my 40's I have lost much of my muscle mass from yoyo dieting & running like a mad man. This resulted in countless injuries & chronic sore upper back issues.. :(

Now that I have found strength training I feel like a million bucks. I'm 47 but have the mind & body of a 20 year old... LOL
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    A better me, and a means to control my anger.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    When I started out at 54 yrs old, my goal was to help speed up weight loss. After a while, my "why" shifted a bit to becoming more competitive in age group running and triathlon events. And now, at 58, I take great comfort in knowing that this old fart will be able to outrun the Zombies should that day ever come. :)
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Initially, exercise was 100% about losing weight - and that's it. I still don't love getting up at 5:00 or 5:30 on a weekday to go to the gym, but I never regret doing when I do (except for that one day I accidentally cut the cheese while doing a step-up :neutral: )

I always told people that I would never be into running, which took me a while to realize wasn't true - I was simply discouraged about being terrible at it. And I still am, but it's so empowering to do a week of Z5K that you looked at and thought 'oh no way, I can't do that' - and then DO IT. During the run, I'm like "my feet hurt my side hurts this sucks I suck rawr" - though I mostly focus on the music. After the run, I think, is when I feel the best.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's a great stress reliever for me and I went from sedentary to being at gym 4x a week so the progress I can see at this point is pretty awesome and makes me feel good

I also have some health problems that will hopefully be corrected or made more manageable by exercise... Being told your bones look like a senior citizen at age 26 is a pretty good why to get to gym
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I like that it's a constant in my life and something I've stuck with week after week for the past 7+ years. My eating will never be perfect or consistent but I know that I will reliably always work out.

And I love feeling fit and strong and able to run a and bounce around and do a lot of things that I couldn't do when I was at my heaviest.
  • scarletrayne19
    scarletrayne19 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1) Health - when I started working out I had hit an all time high weight and allegedly over 50% bf. My mother is obese, my father was obese and diabetic before gastric bypass surgery, and over half my family members on either side of the family are overweight/unhealthy/both. The deck is stack against me genetically so I have to change my lifestyle for the better now while I'm able.

2) For me - I have never been an athlete. In high school I was in the marching band and in college I just had to walk everywhere, therefore keeping my weight from skyrocketing was much easier. But once I graduated college and started my career the weight I was normally able to keep at bay started creeping up. When I joined my gym in September, I could only bench 20 lbs (that's 20 lbs total. I now bench the Olympic bar plus 5). I still hate cardio but only do it for the cardiovascular benefits. While I'm not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination, I have made incredible strength and endurance strides the past 6 months while figuring out what I like to do and don't like to do (jogging? Hell no. Tennis or kayaking? That's where it's at). I know newbie gainz won't last forever but I'm looking forward to a lifetime of improvement.

• CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At my gym, as you walk in, there is a quote on the wall that sums up why I work out, especially at this point in my life. The quote is, "in health there is freedom." I'm 45 and, while that's not ancient by any means, I can start seeing other people near my age who are unable (or unwilling) to stand or walk for long periods of time. Or worse. They are just generally...unable.

For me, I have that "freedom" to do what I want without having to worry about physical limitations. I mean, taking a stab at pro football would be unwise, but if I attend a general admission concert (which I do a LOT), If I'm invited on a hike, want to take a long bike ride on vacation, etc., I just can.

Furthermore, old age will be here before I know it. Having a strong body can only help fend off health problems and allow me to be independent for as long as possible.

I'm always conscious that physical ability is fleeting, even for the best of us. I'm one bad car accident away from having it all taken away from me. But as long as I am in control, I will be.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it's 80% about the mirror and the health benefits. I do enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after a good workout, I like feeling stronger in everyday life and not to get out of breath. But if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow, I'd stop exercising.