New salad ideas?

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
Atm I'm having:
Lettuce, celery, cucumber, peppers and tomatoes (with new potatoes, egg and tuna) any other suggestions for the veggies please? I'm getting a bit bored of the same...

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made a roast veggie salad; mushrooms, zucchini, sweet potato, red onion, quinoa, baby spinach, ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds, fresh coriander, lemon juice
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    grated parsnip, swede, beetroot and carrot is a great combination for me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    my favorite salad is.... salad mix, candied walnuts, lemon garlic vinaigrette, blue or goat cheese, and sliced pears.... when lazy i swap the candied walnuts for sliced almonds and the pears for cranberries.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, jicama, olives, beets, carrots, onions, scallions, peas, snow peas, red peppers, spinach, cilantro, beans, cabbage, mushrooms

Fruit: mandarin oranges, apple, grapes, strawberries

Other add in's: slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, grilled chicken, steak, cheese.

• rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love a "summer" salad of baby spinach leaves, sliced strawberries, crumbled feta, and walnuts with a poppy seed dressing.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Yummy thank you..,translation please for jicama??
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Wow that's different!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Jicama is a (Mexican, I think?) root vegetable. It looks somewhat like a white beet in the store. It's got a light refreshing taste, sort of like mild apple. And it's crunchy!

You just peel it and cut it into bite-sized pieces. (Peel it with a knife, the peel is too stringy for a peeler).

It's also good pickled.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I like to toss in whatever cooked veggies I have leftover from supper the night before. Broccoli, green beans, asparagus, roasted butternut squash, zucchini/summer squash.

I also love sugar snap peas and just now realized that I have a bag in my fridge at home and I forgot to add any to my lunch salad today :neutral:
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »

Wow that's different!

this is the recipe I use, it's all about the dressing!!!

ottolenghi raw root vegetables
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It took me a few minutes of google searching to figure out that "swede" is the british term for rutabaga, not a shredded up person from Sweden :)
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    romaine lettuce, chopped pink lady apple, chopped avocado with lemon juice & olive oil for dressing :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chickpeas, roasted red peppers, capers, olive oil, garlic and mint (with a squeeze of lemon juice if desired).
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone, great ideas :#
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    A fave here is Mango,black bean quinoa ,onion avocado red pepper chunks flax oil and lime juice.In the summer,just adding Fresh cut herbs and berries really brightens and changes things up. !
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also add leftover roasted or grilled veggies and sometimes some rice or quinoa, any beans but roasted chickpeas are my favorite, and broccoli slaw are all regular salad add ons for me.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is: Avocado, red onion, English cucumber, roma tomato, fresh cilantro, evoo, fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt, cracked pepper, garlic powder.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    oh, and finely chopped tomatoes, strawberries and mint is divine

as is this recipe:

tomatoes and pomegranate molasses