Breastfeeding and calorie counting

Options
Hi there I'm just getting started and trying to lose my post pregnancy weight. My daily calorie intake is down as 1200 but as I'm breastfeeding should it be higher?
Thanks for help, Kerry

Replies

• 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes. Conventional wisdom is to add 500 for BFing. 1200 is very low in any case - if you take daily walks w your baby for example. Monitor your milk supply. I believe people react to calorie restriction while BFIng very differently. Monitor your milk supply and make changes accordingly.
  • delaxola
    delaxola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be getting way more calories if you're breastfeeding! Add 500 calories per day for the milk you're making for your baby. Your baseline should be 1700+ ... Be gentle on yourself, don't put your health or your baby's health at risk to lose weight. If you're cutting out certain foods it's best to keep as many proteins as possible, and lots of fiber. You can eliminate dairy and processed wheat products, especially those high in sugars, but don't skimp on protein or fiber. You and your baby need those most! :) (Easier said than done-- I am also trying to breastfeed and maintain a healthy weight, and it's quite the challenge...) More power to you.
  • sooshooshy
    sooshooshy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm breastfeeding as well and I was worried that I was eating too much! Thank you for the info ladies