Depo provera and weight loss?

Options
Hi there.
I'm 18 years old a just yesterday got the contraceptive injection depo provera, I foolishly didn't research my desicon and am reading all sorts of horror stories about people gaining massive amounts of weight. I'm currently 148lbs and have been trying to lose 8. If I eat well and exercise will Be able to lose weight?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Depo can cause water retention and changes in your hormone levels which may cause a temporary spike on the scale. However, it also has a tendency to increase appetite so the horror stories come from people who started eating more hence the weight gain. If you eat well and exercise you can lose weight but it's not about eating "well"; it's about eating at a calorie deficit.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I lost 40-ish pounds in 2013 while on Depo. Different contraceptions affect people differently, but they cannot make excess fat if excess calories are not eaten. If they could we'd have the solution to world hunger.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, you may feel hungrier. That's not nothing. Counting calories may be just what you need to make sure you're eating the right amount for your weight loss plan. If you count on strategies that may have worked for you in the past, like just eating a little less than you want, you might gain weight.

Sorry. Depo totally messed with my head, I never went back for a second shot. Everyone is different, though.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depo didn't cause any noticeable changes in my hunger levels (maybe a day or so after each injection, but that could have just been all in my head), and I didn't have any extra trouble losing weight on it. If anything, it actually helped by doing away with PMS cravings. I was on it for two years. Birth control can't make you "gain fat" UNLESS you eat at a calorie surplus, which is true for everyone, regardless of contraceptives.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am currently on depo again (used Mirena for 7 years) and no issues for me.

some of the side affects are noted as weight gain and increased appetite.

you might retain some water and notice you want to eat but those can be controlled.

The only issue I had on depo with weight loss was when I ate too much and that wasn't due to depo that was me being fat and lazy and liking to eat.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 5 years. I have no issues, because I monitor my food intake. You will be fine if you manage your food. We are women, and we eat salt, so our water retention is always going to fluctuate.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I find I gain a bit (like 1-2lbs) before my shot. I can feel the increased appetite about a week or two before I'm due. It comes off though soon enough once I get my shot. Figure I'm the same right before periods due and I only get Like this every 3 months so it's not so bad. Just be aware of your food intake and all will be well.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jesoverley wrote: »
    I have been on it for 5 years. I have no issues, because I monitor my food intake. You will be fine if you manage your food. We are women, and we eat salt, so our water retention is always going to fluctuate.

Is it OK to be on it for 5 years? My doctor wants me off it soon because I'm reaching the 2 year mark. She told me not to take it longer than 2 years.
    I really like it and would rather stay on it!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight issue with depo, but I wouldn't take that shot again for anything. I was on it for years and it was fine, then new research came out about not being on it long term and my doctor took me off it. I started having severe panic attacks, irregular and extremely heavy bleeding, constant breast tenderness and nausea. A year later and I'm only just now starting to feel normal again.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Is it OK to be on it for 5 years? My doctor wants me off it soon because I'm reaching the 2 year mark. She told me not to take it longer than 2 years.

I was on it 2 years after my daughter, and 4 years after my son. I'm on Mirena now, which is the same hormone but good for 5 years at a time.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I was on it 2 years after my daughter, and 4 years after my son. I'm on Mirena now, which is the same hormone but good for 5 years at a time.

I used Depo for 10 years then Mirnea for 7 now back to depo...it's my 3rd year.

It's hard on younger girls as it can cause issues for bone density but Im old.
  • erzadel
    erzadel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories partly so I could prevent weigh gain on depo. I definitely felt hungry ALL THE TIME so I'm glad I did it. I didn't have a lot to lose in the first place but I did lose around 5 lbs while on depo.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I had depo after my second baby and I did not like it. I didn't notice any weight gain, but I had lots of problems with my cycle being irregular. I bled almost every day of the month. And I was very irritable (probably from the continuous period) and I stopped taking it. But not everyone has problems, so don't let that scare you. See how you feel and if you don't like it you will know and you can do something else next time. As for the weight, most people who gain weight on hormonal bc is from increased appetite. If you make sure you either stay at your deficit or stay at your goal you should be able to lose or maintain weight without any problem.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo for a few years and I have lost about 15 lbs so far this year (pretty even 1 lb per week). So, yes, if you eat at a deficit, you can lose weight on depo!
  • vanesacunningham
    vanesacunningham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo shot for almost 8years with no weight gain issues. I also took a calcium vitamin (which I still take daily) to help with the lose of bone density that comes with taking the depo. Per an agreement with my doctor I got off the depo at the start of 2012 to give my body a break. Last summer I got back on the depo. Any weight gain I had came from listening to trainers tell me I needed to eat more in order to build my muscle mass ( I do a lot of serious weight lifting). I have sense stopped listening to them and am now working with another trainer and within the last three weeks I have lost 6 pounds. :) I am almost back to where I want to be weight wise and that is 165 (currently I'm 173).

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been on the depo shot for 2 in a half years and I've lost 33 kg (72.7 lbs!!) :D I find that the depo shot has helped me lose weight easier since I don't have to worry about my period, cramps, mood swings, bleeding, or anything like that. So it makes working out especially easier since I absolutely hated working out during my time of the month. The one thing I noticed is that while lowering my calories under maintenance level, I am extremely hungry a lot of the times and I have a huge appetite. But I'm not sure if this is a side effect of the depo shot or if it's just because I'm a huge eater LOL! To be honest I have no clue since I never successfully lost a huge amount of weight or have been successful at weight loss before I took the depo. I did try fad diets like the liquid diet and I starved the whole time since most of those diets are extremely low calorie. I've been successful with the depo since I learned about MFP, staying within your calorie goal, eating back exercise calories, eating what I want as long as it fits, ect. This is a lifestyle change I never discovered until recently. But I'm curious if someone did have excessive hunger with the depo shot, would it still be a side effect over two years later? Would it last permanently until you stopped the depo shot? Or is it just a temporary side effect that would only last a few months?
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've gained 40 pounds on Depo, and I've lost 70 pounds on Depo. You can go either way.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo and while I didn't have an issue with weight gain, I was unable to conceive once I went off. I ended up going through menopause at the age of 26 (Premature Ovarian Failure). Nobody will admit that DP was the cause, but not having a period for a few years must do something, no?

Not to freak anyone out, but do some serious research if you plan on staying on DP long term. IVF and fertility treatments are very expensive...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I was on Depo and while I didn't have an issue with weight gain, I was unable to conceive once I went off. I ended up going through menopause at the age of 26 (Premature Ovarian Failure). Nobody will admit that DP was the cause, but not having a period for a few years must do something, no?

Not to freak anyone out, but do some serious research if you plan on staying on DP long term. IVF and fertility treatments are very expensive...

nope...was on it for 10 years....I can still conceive...on it again to prevent conception.

Early menopause happens I have a few friends who went through it early...
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Depo didn't cause any noticeable changes in my hunger levels (maybe a day or so after each injection, but that could have just been all in my head), and I didn't have any extra trouble losing weight on it. If anything, it actually helped by doing away with PMS cravings. I was on it for two years. Birth control can't make you "gain fat" UNLESS you eat at a calorie surplus, which is true for everyone, regardless of contraceptives.

^This. I've been on Depo for over a year now and while it did increase my hunger/cravings for about 6 months of taking it, I have been slowly losing weight due to careful management of hunger and calories.

As for the scares about infertility and such, don't worry too much about it. Talk with your care provider about what forms of birth control are best for you and bring up any concerns then. So far the research says that the vast majority of women will regain normal fertility within about a year and a half of being off Depo.