8-5 hour job need motivation

Options

Replies

• Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work an 8-5 job with a 45 minute commute each way. I typically come home, cook dinner and eat with the family before heading to the gym. I can not motivate myself at home so in order to get a workout in, I MUST get to the gym.
    I'm the same way during the week. If I say I'll workout at home it aint happening lol
    I turn into super girl at the gym.

• krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Please help with my other post on Hypothyroidism!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I work on the fourth floor, but use the restroom or fill my water bottle in the basement. I take a walk on my morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. I usually have about 9,000 steps by the end of my work day.

I go to the gym four/five nights a week while my son is at his sports practice.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I try to get up at least once every hour, whether it's re-filling my water or going to the restroom. On top of that, I try to get in short little walks at least once a day (just a quick lap around the inside of my building, nothing crazy).
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I work out after work, typically Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. During the day though, you can park your car further away from the building and take the stairs, take a walk throughout the day. I get up about once an hour to stretch and move my legs.
  • c123c
    c123c Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Invested in a cross trainer, used to come home and watch tv till bedtime now just stick my iPad on the cross trainer and watch tv that way!!

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 AM and get out and run, If I am lifting weights I run 3 miles and stop at the gym for a bit using the remaining mile to cool down. I can get back by 6:00 and my exercise is done with no chance for interruptions. I know it sounds awful but after about a week it becomes habit. I haven't set an alarm clock in years.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I work more or less the same. Fortunately I am close enough to walk to work (which I tend to do as long as it's not belting down rain), and then after work on some evenings I go to the rink, or I do an exercise DVD at home.

The key thing is to tell yourself to do it anyway. It's remarkable how tired we can think we are after doing nothing but sitting for eight hours...
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30-6 (usually get home around 6:30-6:45) and I'm on my feet 95% of the day since I work in a veterinary clinic. There are days where the last thing I want to do is come home and work out, but I just somehow find the drive and push myself to do it. It gets easier when you lose more weight and have more energy. I love the feeling after the work out is done. You feel like you accomplished a lot.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I work way more than 8.5 hours a week. I get up early and workout before I go in 3x per week. On the other days, I will do 20-30 mins of elliptical at the office, before I get in my car to go home (or it won't happen). Also, I walk at lunch whenever the weather permits. Its a good mental health break
  • krishnap1104
    Options
    What do you guys normally pack for lunch? or if you eat out, what are some of your healthy choices?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise. I changed a few things, like taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator, parking a little further away, stuff like that. But I lost weight just by adjusting my calories in. I've been trying add walking in as it's good for my asthma, but not for losing weight.

For my lunches, I researched restaurants nearby and found meals that I would like for under about 450 calories. That's what I 'budgeted' for my lunches. Sure, means eating a lot of salads, but at least I'm getting some greens that way. It helps a lot to know what you're going to order before you eat out, no matter when you do. Makes things easier in the restaurant, and you won't feel guilty ordering something on impulse.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30 - 4:30. During my half hour lunch break, I'll go for a walk. It's down the hill and back up again, so it's a nice route.

I go to the gym for 6 and do a couple of classes (45-60 mins each), home just after 8pm. I also go to a couple of classes on Saturday, with Sunday being my fun day.

Once you get into a routine you won't feel like you are squeezing it in. I've gone from a five hour evening (home until bed) to a two and a halfish hour evening and I genuinely don't notice the difference now. Just part of my lifestyle now! I can't imagine not going to the gym now.
  • krishnap1104
    Options
    Yes! I just met my trainer yesterday and she wants me to come to the gym for 30minutes (during lunch hour) and work out, and then go back after work and do some light cardio. I'm hoping it helps!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    I have an office job as well ... but I make a point not to sit 8 hours a day. I walk as part of my commute to and from work. I walk at lunch. And I get up several times a day and climb stairs. Then, after work, I go for another walk or bicycle ride ... and/or lift weights in my basement gym.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes, like others have said NO VENDING MACHINE snacks... i'm sure your not right? Those calories will sink you fast, trust me I know. lol My 8-5 job is the same boat. But I pack a healthy lunch of ham and cheese sandwich, some nuts usually almonds and pistachios, and lots of fruit for snack times. And water I try to get 6-8 cups a day - Guarantee!

Maybe do some sit-up or push-up or walk around the office really fast at lunch on sunny days if you can.

Do you have a dog? I have lab/beagle that keeps me on my toes - left and right. She is a good trainer... that in my spouse. She is there for me during the rough patches where I don't lose a single ounce.
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My co workers and I do a half hour workout of some kind from 12 - 12:30. I also get up between 4 and 4:30 am and get a morning workout it. I work full time and have 2 kids and a husband that works opposite shifts as me... And I am also in school to become an accountant. It's all about making the time. I would suggest walking on your lunch break.

I also pre-pack my lunch. I make sure to have two healthy snacks, a good lunch. If you do a little prep nightly it makes it a lot easier. Good luck
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    You work 8 whole hours? 5 days a week?

Right?!! A whole 8 hours, 5 days a week like the majority of people here.

OP I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week in an office sitting on my butt the majority of the day. I get up at 5 am to work out for about an hour. I eat breakfast at home and bring my lunch to work. I've managed to lose weight working the same amount of hours/days.

<3<3 My sister from another mister!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    MWF up at 5AM for strength training and a spin class. I also make sure I work out on weekends. That leaves Tues and Thurs as off or recovery days. I also shoot for 10k steps a day on my FitBit: regardless of whether or not I work out. I happen to have a very nice one mile walking trail around on our campus, so when the weather is nice I will often do a couple of laps 2 or 3 times a week (usually on Tues, Thurs and Fri morning). As for eating: plan ahead! I keep things for "grab and go" like fruit, boiled eggs, avocados, mini quiche etc. When you cook, make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. I also spend time on Sundays prepping vegetables, soups (for freezing) etc.
  • cynfl211
    cynfl211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and started working out all at the same time. Instead of taking "smoke breaks", I now take "walking breaks" where I walk around our building. Depending on the size of the office/building you work in, your walk might consist of back and forth in front, or around multiple times - but for me, I can get .3 miles don in 6 minutes by walking around the outside - and since I used to take 4-6 minute breaks frequently, going by boss doesn't mind me taking a walk 2-3 times a day. Then I take my dogs on a walk after work. I am also starting to try to go to the gym before work, as it gives me more energy for the day.