macros expertise needed

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm new to MFP and am looking for a little advice on what to set for my intake/macros. My goal is to shed those last few stubborn pounds (about 10-15lbs I think) before toning up. I'm not sure what MFP is recommending is a good fit for me because bone structure and muscle mass are not taken into account. it may have no effect at all I'm not sure, just a little skeptical and wanted a second opinion.

stats are
5'5
110lbs
31-24-31
very little muscle mass

also if you could recommend ways to get more protein without animal products that'd be great! (no tofu please!)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Seitan, tempeh, lentils, and beans are all great animal-product free sources of protein.

Reaching your goal weight of 95-100 pounds would make you medically underweight. May I ask how you chose that as your goal?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats I don't know if your really need to lose. You might be better served by a re-comp. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

If you do chose to do a deficit, do something really small or eat at maintenance. Either way, lift heavy. No it won't make you bulky, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

As for macros, I like 40%C, 30%P, 30%F. It should give you a good amount of protein.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You do not need to lose any weight. Losing anything at this point is going to make you look like a weaker and softer version of what you are now, which likely is already a pretty weak and frail version of you. You need to eat more. IMO anybody telling you how to lose more weight is doing you a disservice. I'm not trying to be mean. I've been 5'6" and 115 pounds with low muscle mass. Losing weight from there wouldn't have done me any favors.

Eat and be healthy.
  • tessr760
    tessr760 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Seitan, tempeh, lentils, and beans are all great animal-product free sources of protein.

Reaching your goal weight of 95-100 pounds would make you medically underweight. May I ask how you chose that as your goal?

thank you for the protein suggestions! and to answer your question I've spoken to my doctor about it and after taking into consideration my goals, lifestyle (dancer), and small frame, we set my weight goal at 100lbs, after which I will start putting on weight when I begin increasing muscle mass. I can assure you it's all been approved by a healthcare professional.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tessr760 wrote: »

thank you for the protein suggestions! and to answer your question I've spoken to my doctor about it and after taking into consideration my goals, lifestyle (dancer), and small frame, we set my weight goal at 100lbs, after which I will start putting on weight when I begin increasing muscle mass. I can assure you it's all been approved by a healthcare professional.

Since the goal your doctor set for you is to become medically underweight, it might be worth consulting a professional for your nutritional needs so they can suggest a plan that will cause the least amount of harm to your body. This is a pretty specialized need that you have and the TOS here would keep us from giving you advice on how to meet your goal -- even if we wanted to do so.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you've spoken to your doctor, I think he or she would be in a better position to give you advice about what and how much to eat in order to get down to such a low weight safely...
  • tessr760
    tessr760 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    okay thank you both for your suggestions! I will speak more to my doctor about macros and details like that @fatfudgery @janejellyroll