breakfast before or after gym

Options
i get up around 7 have 2 cups of coffee my question is should i eat breakfast then go to gym right after or go to gym and eat breakfast after

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Whatever doesn't make you puke.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Whatever your body likes best. I always eat before I train but others find that makes them sick.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I eat before when I'm done I'm hungry so today I worked out first and had a good work out think I'll try this for awhile
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    When I train in the morning, I usually have a scoop or two of protein in some coffee before. I'll eat more afterward.
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach, but then, my running regimen isn't very long, just ~a mile. I have learned that a little food (usually a Kind bar) helps before a gym workout, to keep my stamina up just a bit longer. I have a fruit & protein smoothie right after a morning workout. No way I could work out after the smoothie without issues, though.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I hear that
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    When I train in the morning, I usually have a scoop or two of protein in some coffee before. I'll eat more afterward.

Does it blend well or do you use a blender??
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Does it blend well or do you use a blender??

I put it in a shaker cup with some ice (the coffee is either refrigerated or room temperature). It does OK.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Whatever doesn't make you puke.

this is really the answer.
    To lift I need SOMETHING in my system- so I grab a spoon and shovel a mouthful of plain greek yogurt before I run out the door. Nothing fancy- any small tidbit will do for me.

If I'm running- I eat/drink nothing.

I get used to working out in the AM and then no food is needed- my lifts suffer as I am in a fasted state- but I can get the work done- no big deal.
  • kcerrillo
    kcerrillo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i get up around 7 have 2 cups of coffee my question is should i eat breakfast then go to gym right after or go to gym and eat breakfast after

So what my trainer and nutritionist said was to eat something small a hour b4 workout then something a few hours after. If u eat small meals a day.my morning was like this:

645am-banana wirh natural peanut butter
    10am-cottage cheese and fruit.
    At 1230 1 il eat again.

This works for me so well. At first was so full but keeps me from bad eatting habits n my addiction to unhealthy choices.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. When I had coffee with cream and sugar, I was fine. When I didn't eat anything or have coffee, I'd see spots during intense exercise. I've found half an English muffin with almond butter gives me enough fuel to exercise without making me is (I don't like to eat in the morning). I do find since eating real food my performance in the exercise has gotten better.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out in the morning, I'll drink a little chocolate milk or tea with a little protein powder. If I'm working out right after work, I'll make sure I have a protein bar or some nuts an hour or two before I'm planning to workout. It works for me. I have worked out fasted, and I didn't have an issue, but that was when I was doing hardcore cardio, so food was a no go for me.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't typically eat breakfast, and I usually work out in a fasting state.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Either, neither or both.