Foot pain - don't know what it is OR what to do?

Options
So I had been exercising daily for a while - I would go an walk the track and sprint the ends as hard as I can. I didn't have very good shoes - walmart Starter brand with no cushion. I kinda dropped off my exercise plan for a couple weeks.

Now my feet really hurt.

They hurt the worse after I have been sitting a while (at work, watching tv, driving in car) and then stand up and walk. I have to kinda hobble for a second till they feel better. My left foot is the worst - the most severe pain is on the bottom right in front of the heel. That is the only pain I can feel when I squeeze or massage them. As I walk that pain moves to the bottom outside area. The other foot just seems stiff and sore. After walking or standing a while the pain completely goes away or becomes very minor.

Curious what this could be. Don't have money to go to foot doctor right now so trying to self diagnose. Do have a better paid of shoes now. Adidas Trail Walking shoes.

1.) First was thinking maybe the sprinting and walking bruised my feet inside?

2.) Second was thinking maybe it's plantar fasciitis but its not in back of heel - it's right in front and then in the middle of bottom.

3.) Lastly was fearing the worse - maybe something diabetes related - I had blood work done a year ago and no signs of pre-diabetes or diabetes and since then have lost almost 20lbs, been eating good, and exercising. It sucks because whenever I think of a disease I start to feel those symptoms (just in my head though - after reading about it my feet feel numb and tingly but then I sleep and wake up and that is gone - and just back to pain, if I think about kidney stones my lower back starts aching - all in the mind I think).

Not sure what to do?
-- Do I keep walking and exercising?
-- What is the treatment I should look into?
-- Anyone else experience this same thing?

Replies

• ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This article seems pretty accurate - hoping this is what it is and I can work through it in a few more weeks. Guess my walking/jogging plan is out for a while.
  • amyfaber7
    amyfaber7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like Plantar Fasciitis. My advice, from having it and trying everything under the sun, is this:
    Rest for a bit
    Invest in some inserts for your shoes at a minimum, or some good running shoes would be best
    Look up stretches for PF. They helped me a ton! Be sure to do some stretches before your feet hit the floor in the morning.
    ICE, ICE, ICE. Freeze a water bottle and run your foot over it, both feet probably, several times a day for a few minutes. Maybe 5 minutes, and do at least after activity and at night.

If it is PF, it hurts, and it isn't always directly in the heel. Some people can run through it, but when I was running, I stopped for awhile to let it heal. It acts up for me once in awhile, but mostly is under control. I'm not running though, due to some other health concerns. I also got rid of all my cheap shoes and invested in good, supportive shoes. I also got a custom orthotic, but they messed it up and I can't get a new one made yet.

Good luck!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options
    You need better shoes. That will make all the difference. It sounds like it could be plantar fasciitis. There are lots of stretches that will help with that. You can also run your foot over a tennis ball. Ice helps too. I freeze a water bottle and the run my foot over that sometimes instead of a tennis ball so I can ice it and stretch it at the same time. But either way get some good shoes.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis - it's painful and a pain to get rid of. I wear insoles to help with this.
  • kellismilez
    kellismilez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having bad pain in my left heel also, after wearing shoes without padding and walking around the mall (on concrete floors) my heel hurts me so bad for about a week after I do this (yes I've done it before and didn't learn my lesson) so now I'm suffering again from it. But mine isn't exactly like yours because mine doesn't go away after I walk on it a little bit, it gets better definitely but it doesn't go away. And it definitely hurts the worst when I 1st get up out of bed in the morning, I can barely put any weight on it at all. But I want to assume that it's bruised as u also maybe thought due to the fact that I feel this pain after wearing my awful shoes with no support.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    amyfaber7 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like Plantar Fasciitis. My advice, from having it and trying everything under the sun, is this:
    Rest for a bit
    Invest in some inserts for your shoes at a minimum, or some good running shoes would be best
    Look up stretches for PF. They helped me a ton! Be sure to do some stretches before your feet hit the floor in the morning.
    ICE, ICE, ICE. Freeze a water bottle and run your foot over it, both feet probably, several times a day for a few minutes. Maybe 5 minutes, and do at least after activity and at night.

If it is PF, it hurts, and it isn't always directly in the heel. Some people can run through it, but when I was running, I stopped for awhile to let it heal. It acts up for me once in awhile, but mostly is under control. I'm not running though, due to some other health concerns. I also got rid of all my cheap shoes and invested in good, supportive shoes. I also got a custom orthotic, but they messed it up and I can't get a new one made yet.

Good luck!!

This is sound advice. Be careful, stretch, ICE, and definitely better shoes or good inserts. My Podiatrist recommends ASICS and New Balance, also Brooks.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Feeling worse after rest and being able to 'walk it out' is pretty diagnostic of plantar fasciitis, to my knowledge. Echoing what others say. Get good, supportive shoes (wear indoors too even if you normally don't, at least until it clears up) and look up stretches on YouTube. Unfortunately there's not much else you can do if that's what it is. It can take up to a year to clear up, but should go faster if you take care of it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options
    I am having bad pain in my left heel also, after wearing shoes without padding and walking around the mall (on concrete floors) my heel hurts me so bad for about a week after I do this (yes I've done it before and didn't learn my lesson) so now I'm suffering again from it. But mine isn't exactly like yours because mine doesn't go away after I walk on it a little bit, it gets better definitely but it doesn't go away. And it definitely hurts the worst when I 1st get up out of bed in the morning, I can barely put any weight on it at all. But I want to assume that it's bruised as u also maybe thought due to the fact that I feel this pain after wearing my awful shoes with no support.

Does it hurt when you first get up but then feel a little better as the day goes on and then hurts after a long day? What you're describing sounds like classic plantar fasciitis. Try the stretches and the tennis ball (ore ice bottle). And get some inserts and wear good shoes.
  • twinskins
    twinskins Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'll echo what everyone else has said about plantar fasciitis. I developed it about 6 months ago and I figured it was due to my weight. It is worse in the morning or right after I work out. I try to roll my foot on a frozen water bottle to ease the inflammation. I was told a tennis ball would also work. Near the end of my workouts, I will have some pain in the left foot, but as the day goes on, it loosens up. I have a newer pair of Filas, but I likely will buy inserts shortly. Good luck!
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Greetings. A better pair of shoes and use an additional cushion, and walk, don't run, until you take more weight off. I had a similar problem when I was 280+ and trying to jog- All that weight and pounding really put a hurting on my poor feet. Once I took off an additional 20 pounds the foot pain went away.
  • spaetlese83
    spaetlese83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with this issue myself as a result of my weight gain :-( The only shoes I've found in the interim that work are Merrell's. The padding and support work wonders for me. I have the same problem when I first get up from sleeping and also when I've been very sedentary during the day, but as soon as I put my shoes on, I'm good. They're a spendy shoe but worth the investment for my well-being. Good luck and definitely follow the suggested remedies as stated above. They help as well.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fasciitis to me too, if a non medical opinion counts for anything. Good shoes are a must, replace them on a regular basis. I suggest going to a running shoe store and having them help you find shoes to fit you properly. (I can't wear flip flops any more, except for a short walk from my car to the beach). Freeze a bottle of water and roll it under your feet a few times a day (good for pain relief and stretching that muscle out). Get a foot brace to sleep in at night. Google how to tape your foot for plantar fasciitis (this was the cure for me). They show how to use athletic tape to give extra support to your feet. Its worse when you've been sitting (or sleeping) and then try to stand up. If you don't notice any improvement after trying a few of those suggestions, please visit your doctor. Good luck!!! :smile:
  • Lo__
    Lo__ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been having this issue too! Just these last couple of days. I really want to get back to my workout schedule. Is the general consensus that it's bad to workout with PF? Should I wait until all pain has cleared up?
  • ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah it doesn't hurt in morning when I get our of bed (which is weird because that is when all articles say it's worst). Then I get up, eat, sit and watch news and stand up and OUCH. I go for my morning walk and it feels okay - not too much pain - a little discomfort the farther I go that moves in into my ankle. Then I go to work and sit down at my desk job all day - every time I get up to walk and OUCH - have to hobble. Then I get home and sit around watching tv - then when I stand up to walk to kitchen - OUCH - hobble over there and back. So the more active it is the better it feels.

I will start some stretching, tennis ball, ice roller tonight and do 2-3 times a day. I will keep to walking a mile a day - no running - no sprinting. Just started working out at the local park on the their jungle gym.

I am trying to find time to go get a foot analysis from a shoe store before I buy any shoes. I have this brand new pair that I can hardly wear because they are tight and foot doesn't sit right on them. So no more buying blindly. These are the ones I can hardly wear sadly -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q5JOZ8I/ref=twister_B00WW7JCEO

I do have a pair of trail hiking shoes maybe I will wear a while till I can get that analysis done. These I love - so comfy!!!
    http://uedata.amazon.com/Columbia-Conspiracy-Razor-Compass-Chartreuse/dp/B00DDY5OUQ

That article says NO flip flops or bare feet - even in the house. That is sad news because I wear these year round (yes even in snow and rain). They are built with arch support - not plain old sandals. http://www.zappos.com/teva-katavi-thong-bungee-cord
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been battling plantar fasciitis for years. Bought the "good" shoes, the expensive prescription orthotics, the cheap Dr. Scholl orthotics (just as good, IMO). Only recently have my feet started getting better. The only thing I've changed? I tried the Crocs ballerina flats. I have them in all colors, and wear them all the time. No going barefoot in the house. I really don't understand why they're helping, because they have NO support. The only think I can figure is that they have these little nubby things inside that feel good under my heels. Of course, I can't exercise in them--wear my New Balance shoes for that--but all other times, I've been wearing the Crocs.
  • amyfaber7
    amyfaber7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot, do not walk barefoot. Ever! I break this rule now that I feel better, but I can tell when I need to be wearing shoes all the time. I have a pair of crocs that I wear inside the house, and I wear good shoes out of the house.

If you go for running shoes, get fitted at a running store. They will analyze your feet and your gait and be sure the shoes support the correct areas of YOUR foot. What is good for one can be awful for someone else.

Good luck :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started getting pain in my foot near my ankle. It felt like the camber of the road was to blame. I eventually found the culprit, I was running in the mornings and then walking a couple of miles in the afternoon in sandals. When I switched to some better shoes the pain went away.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Plantar fasciitis - it's painful and a pain to get rid of. I wear insoles to help with this.

• smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Definitely plantar fasciitis. I've been suffering from this for a while after walking for hours one day in cheap boots. I bought some Fit Flop boots which have helped massively and some decent trainers. Also, as amyfaber7 said, do not walk around barefoot, or in socks. I bought some slippers for inside the house with a proper sturdy sole and now the pain has completely gone.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I agree about the plantar fascitis but you may have agrevated a tendon in the bottom of your foot. You need good shoes and the arch supports and may need to give it time to heal. Do exercise that wont put stress on your feet