Losing weight without running

Options
So I have a friend who tells me for my weight the best way and most effective way for me to lose weight is to run.....he encouraged me to do the couch to 5k......I hate running .....any advice?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So I have a friend who tells me for my weight the best way and most effective way for me to lose weight is to run.....he encouraged me to do the couch to 5k......I hate running .....any advice?

Don't run if you hate it. Running doesn't make you lose weight. A calorie deficit cause you to lose weight
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you enjoy to get in any form of activity more then your daily life. I play DDR on Playstation 2. Because it keeps my attention unlike running. I've lost over 60lbs prior to pregnancy and now have lost it all again.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Nah. If you hate running, don't. Honestly, the calorie burn from running isn't really as high as you'd think, given how hard you're working for it. I like to run - it has positive impact on my mental health in a way that no other exercise does. But as a calorie burn? Eh.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Most effective way to lose weight it to eat less.

Don't run if you don't like it, but you could consider other forms of cardio or maybe lifting for general fitness reasons.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Don't run if you hate it. Running doesn't make you lose weight. A calorie deficit cause you to lose weight

That one. Running gives you a larger calorie deficit to work with, but nope. I walk with a little intermittent slow jogging just for better cardiovascular health.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I hated running, too! I always said if you see me running, you better run because someone is chasing me with a knife or a flood is coming, something! I started with walking short distances 3 years ago and guess what I am doing today? I have walk/jogged many 5k, 10k and even half-marathons. Even though it Still is not my favorite, I wog 3-5 miles every day that I can get out there. Nothing gets my heart going, sweat pouring, calories burning like a good ole' walk/run session. I can always tell when I've not been able to get out there and sweat! Find something that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat AND makes you smile. Running is not the end all to be all - except for me.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    No need to run or do any form of cardio just to lose weight. Cardio, as well as a good weight training routine, will improve your overall health and conditioning but you don't have to choose running as your form of cardio. No form of cardio has been proven, to me at least, to be any better than any other. It all depends on what you're training for. Some people really enjoy running because of the runner's high. Other's like group activities like aerobics or yoga. Find what you like and do that.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.

If you hate it, you won't stick with it. Find something you enjoy doing and do that instead.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been running c25k, and quite enjoying it. I'm overweight, and using it for conditioning as i lose weight by eating reduced calories. That said, consider this:
    • When i go out for 1/2 hour of running/walking at a good pace along a hilly park trail, my estimated calorie burn is ~400 calories. (these estimates are notoriously high, too....)
    • When i go to Wing Stop for lunch, the french fries alone are about 550 calories.

Switching from french fries to carrots as a side for my chicken wings is a better choice for weight loss than running/walking for 30 minutes.

If all you want to do is lose weight, learn to manage your calories safely and effectively. If you want to make your body work better, start exercising it.
  • nicolecouch478
    nicolecouch478 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Most effective way to lose weight it to eat less.

Don't run if you don't like it, but you could consider other forms of cardio or maybe lifting for general fitness reasons.

Ok I love walking ....I am just making sure I can still lose weight by just walking and eating right
  • nicolecouch478
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone for the advise
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    all that is needed to lose weight is the calorie deficit. running helps with that. so does walking. or zumba

that being said. i hated running but did c25k and b210k and found out i love it. so go figure
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did c2k last summer and ran 5k 3x a week for 12 weeks...didn't lose a pound from it...
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight while unable to walk or use my left foot. Eating right = win :)
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    GYATagain wrote: »
    I hated running, too! I always said if you see me running, you better run because someone is chasing me with a knife or a flood is coming, something! I started with walking short distances 3 years ago and guess what I am doing today? I have walk/jogged many 5k, 10k and even half-marathons. Even though it Still is not my favorite, I wog 3-5 miles every day that I can get out there. Nothing gets my heart going, sweat pouring, calories burning like a good ole' walk/run session. I can always tell when I've not been able to get out there and sweat! Find something that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat AND makes you smile. Running is not the end all to be all - except for me.

i was the same way. i used to say, "i wouldn't even run from a fire."
    try it, you might like it :smile:
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Early morning cardio on an empty stomach of any type is best! You are making your body use your stored energy and jump starting your metabolism!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like running now but I didn't when I started, it grows on you after a few weeks. You can lose with a deficit alone but running gives me the room for more food and beer & wine.
  • nicolecouch478
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I did c2k last summer and ran 5k 3x a week for 12 weeks...didn't lose a pound from it...

Well this is very helpful ......I did it for 4 weeks and then I got the flu so I had to stop and never finished